I need help!

I

IdahoCowboy

I am having two new rifles made, and have no idea what calibers I should get. I currently own a 25/06, 7mm Rem Mag, 338/06, and a 300 H&H. I am leaning towards a 220 swift for varmints, and a 280 Remington in a mountain rifle configuration. I would also like to have a 375 H&H, because I have always wanted one, and someday may go to Africa. Any other suggestions/comments would be appreciated.

Neat problem to have. Just a thought, the .280 is very similar to the 7mm Rem mag. I load mine down to about .280 ballistics for deer. How about the 22.250 for varmints? I think it is a little easier on barrels than the 220??? If you think you ever will get to Africa the .375 or maybe on of the .416's would be the way to go. You seem to have the middle calilbers covered pretty well. One of my friends is building a .416 Taylor, just because he can and wants to. Doubt he will ever need that kind of firepower though.

Phantom Hunter

Perhaps build the ultimate deer/elk rifle.in your favorite calbier even if u already own it.U know like the "perfect" one.maybe 300 winchester,300 wsm,7mm rem mag.,7mm stw etc.maybe even some wildcat just to spice it up.just my thoughts.

go for the 7mm STW

00hoofline.gif

How's 'bout a .22-250 Ackley-improved, maybe a .20 Tactical for a small bolt-face gun...

If I could afford to build guns then I would probably build a 22-250 for varmits (especially coyotes and prairie dogs), and something around the 280 I would go with the 270 or the 280. My brother in law has a custom built 280 and the gun shoots as good as any. Although he is not a reloader and has trouble finding ammo when he needs it. But if you reload you should not have this problem.

Sounds to me like you have just about everything covered. Personally, I'd use the money and go take that Africa trip instead. But I agree with the others in looking at a varmit rifle. Or how bout a big bore, 45-70 or something. They are a lot of fun to shoot.

Can't get a better varmint round than a .220 Swift (unless you're going to shoot really hot loads, in which case you might be spending money on new barrels from time to time). Consider the .22-250 as an alternate. If you're interested in building a nice light mountain rifle with some punch, look into a .270 WSM or a .284; either one should make a great lightweight mountain rifle with some reach-out-and-touch ability.

I would go with the 22-250 over the 220 S. Since you have most calibers covered between 22 cal to 338 cal. I would go ahead and have the second rifle in 375 H&H.
RELH

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom