I really hate thieves in the woods

darrack10

Well we had a really great Elk hunt in 21a for 1st archery it rained and was tough but the family time with friends was great and everyone had opportunities. We left the hunt excited knowing we would be back because one of our buddies son drew the 2nd rifle tag. He is 11 and is a great kid who has been looking forward to this time with all of us all year, and to say his dad is excited is an understatement. The idea was to leave a tent, water, table and chairs where we camped so we didnt have to bring it back up since we had so much stuff on our archery hunt. The camp was way back, out of the way and was no where near anyone elses camping area. We made sure so we were not in anyones way and didnt want anyone to think we were trying to secure a spot. This spot was 9 miles out just off FM 107 and really out of the way. Anyhow we go back this weekend to add more to our Pile and scout for the upcoming hunt and wouldnt you know it, ALL OF OUR STUFF IS GONE.

To say i am pissed would not begin to explain how i feel. How does this happen? Who would do this? We have all talked this over and it is hard to believe that some random person scouting would see our camp and steal everything much less have the room to do so on a four wheeler. I hate thieves more than anyone i know and to think that getting all of your stuff taken on a hunt is unbelievable to me. If anyone knows, hears, or just wants to send a PM let me know if you know anything about it. Our camp was 9 miles up 107 off Adobe ranch rd. I doubt anyone would come forward on this and admit it but its worth a shot.

Happy hunting to all and sorry for the rant but a frendly reminder that ##### heads are everywhere even the ELK Woods.

You might check with the forest service. Technically I think you are only allowed to camp for 14 nights in one spot. Someone may have reported it or a worker discovered it and hauled it away. Most likely you are right and someone stole the stuff.

Frequently, the Forest Service Law Enforcement Officer or the Forest Protection Officer will leave a note with contact info if they confiscated the items. There is a 14 day stay limit, and additionally I think the regs say camps unoccupied for more than three days are to be considered abandomed property. It might seem silly, but I know of two cases where perfectly good camp gear was left with no intentions of the owners ever coming back for it. I hope you find your gear.

Good info. No note left but i will call and find out anyhow. The camp was only left for a few days and was going to be used this weekend and next. I was unaware that a camp was not to be used for more than 14 days. Lets hope for the best i will call and update.

I have now had my stuff stolen on here twice!! Both times in Corona on Jan deer hunt 2 years in a row!!

Sad thing is I KNOW it had to be the guys camped by me... Both times they are there at their camp and I come back to my camp and stuff is gone.

1st time my Rhinehart Block Target gone...

2nd they ransacked the trailer and took all tools, camping gear and chairs in all compartments... The person is a member on here too!

I don't have official proof but all the stuff they didn't want was scattered and thrown litteraly making a trail half way to their camp that was only 150 yards away. Do the math!

Either way it is just sickening that people have to mess with peoples sh*t!! I mean what is the purpose of stealing from the very people that share the same passion as you!

I FEEL EXACTLY THE SAME WAY. This kinda the same thing, in 11 days of hunting we saw very few (2) other vehicles as far back on the road we camped on and they were amazed we were in that far with a camp. There was no hunting season in between when we left and now, so this makes me wonder who would be around that area enough and that many days in a row to know that we were not there!

I had a similar experience last year while hunting 16-B. We had set up our regular camp by the corrals and loaded the horses every morning to hunt different areas. The one thing I always carry is a chainsaw in the truck. Last year some no good S.O.B. decided to ransack the bed of my truck and even tried to pry into our horse trailer. Needless to say they took the chainsaw, my tire chains, a shovel my axe, and even my poodles favorite chew toy. To say I was pi$$ed off would be an understatement. Although I would never wish harm on anyone, I hope the sorry bass turd really needed the stuff and it saved them if they were in a jam but, I hope there mutt chokes on Halo's chew toy.

Sorry to hear this!! Its pretty bad when we cant even go into the woods anymore to hunt and not have our stuff stolen!! I had my trail camera stolen a few weeks ago in 16A. Nothing is safe anymore, it doesn't matter where you are!!

I have tried to find a number for the correct place to call. Does anyone know who i should call on the forest service that may be able to let me know if they are the ones that might have picked up our stuff. Everyone i have contacted said they had no info or did not know who the contact would be.

if there is anything worse than a thief in the woods I wouldn't know what it is. I run an construction company and had a thief on the job stealing personal tools from the crews. I had a meeting and told everyone if I found out who it was I was going to let everyone else off early to go to the parking lot and then that person could leave last and deal with the aftermath of his actions. You know the problem just stopped maybe there is someway we as hunters could do the same. Most of these thieves are cowards and wouldn't risk stealing if they thought the hunters were around.

yeah im with you on this too. I would rather handle a thief myself, but i doubt i will get the chance on this deal. I did get ahold of the forest service for the area and they will get back to me today. I hope for my buddies sake they have his stuff. But i am still dumbfounded at this and some of the stories guys have told. To steal someones stuff is as dirty as it gets but to do it in the woods just amazes me.

I just wanted to say to the PUNKS that did this remember Us The Hunters are all on the same team . YOU will get caught !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom