Ibex Nanny Hunt?

cantgetdrawn

LAST EDITED ON Sep-30-13 AT 08:46AM (MST)[p]Addict's post got me thinking about the OTC nanny hunt. Does anyone know if it will be cancelled. I know its hypocritical, I am hoping they do cancel it but if they do not I will consider buying a tag.

Last game commission meeting they voted to cancel the OTC and do depredation style hunts. So if you put in for Ibex's hunts this year and didn't draw, my understanding is that you will be put on a list to possibly be called for hunts starting in February. Starting in the 2014 season, there will be a place on your application to choose if you want to be on the list, just like other species.

Travis

LAST EDITED ON Sep-30-13 AT 11:08AM (MST)[p]Thanks Travis,

Do you know if the dates will be what was scheduled? And how much advanced warning they will give?

I think those questions are both to be determined. But I heard they wouldn't start them until after all the regular draw hunts were done. I imagine the first group of hunters will get quite a bit of notice, but who knows.

Travis

Has anyone heard any updates on the Nanny hunt. The 2014-2015 RIB shows the possibility of population management hunt. I have not seen anything on the website on whether they will cancel the OTC hunt scheduled for Feb.and make it a population management hunt.

The OTC hunt is cancelled. Everyone that put in for normal draw Ibex tag and didn't draw was put on a depredation list. From what I've been told the hunts will start in February so they should be making their calls soon if they haven't already.

Travis

Do they leave messages or if you miss the call are you out of luck?

This really seems like the kind of thing they should announce on their page.

Called G&F yesterday on this and another matter. Depredation calls were slated to start today. I was told by a game and fish officer that the first 150 people on the list would be called for a depredation hunt. The order of the list was determined by the order in which your application was denied. The unfortunate thing is the list is 4,700 denied applications deep...so we still have about a 3% chance of being one of those 150.

Oh forgot to add that the list and/or an announcement was not being posted publicly, I suppose that could change but for now it's just sit back and wait for the phone to ring. Good Luck.

My boss got a call today at work. His son was #74 on the list. The g&f told him they're trying to take out 300 immature animals. I guess each of the 150 select hunters can kill two IM ibex and in return be put in a special draw for 10 M ibex tags. I believe the hunt begins feb 23 or somewhere around that date. I waited by my phone but never got a call. Oh well ha ha I'm used to bein unsuccessful when it comes to drawing an ibex tag.

FUNNY THING WHEN I CALLED GAME AND FISH AND ASKED THEM FOR MY NUMBER ON THE LIST THEY SAID I WAS 46, 256. WHEN I LOOKED THERE WERE ONLY 4700 PEOPLE THAT APPLIED TELL ME HOW THAT HAPPENS. I AM NOT THE ONLY ONE, ALL OF THE FRIENDS I KNOW THAT PUTIN WERE TOLD THEY WERE ALL HIGHER THAN 4700. THE CLOSEST OF US WAS 6,234. CAN ANYONE TELL MY HOW THIS MAY HAVE HAPPENED.

I also had heard that if you were able to connect on two nannies during the hunt you would be put in for a Mature Billy tag drawing.

my buddy got a call from NMGF this morning and he is #94 and NMGF gave him authorize # to purchase the license. The hunt start Feb 21...

I was out of town on Friday when the call came in. My wife forgot to tell me until Monday! I only had until Tuesday to call Fish & Game back or they were going to go to the next hunter on the list. Headed down the end of February to tackle the Rock again! I hunted it two years ago with my bow and vowed I would never do that again! ha ha

All:

I have a taxidermist friend who is looking for nanny hides for a diorama-style ibex presentation.

For those of you that kill a nanny and have no need for the hide, please skin them dorsal-cut if possible, entire hide for full-body mount and I'd be willing to work out a deal for credit toward Sitka Gear etc. for you. Just shoot me a PM or email me directly. I'm in ABQ.

Thanks,

Carl

What a crock!...my dad got called! This will be his 3rd "qualifying hunt" tag. He drew it two years in a row, back in the day when you were guaranteed the billy tag if you killed two F/IM and brought em in to G&F. He got his nice billy the first year and didn't even go the second year! (he is still eligable for the OIL tag too) This is back when I was in high school and apparently didn't get put in for anything. (also no youth tags back then). I put my 3rd choice for the bow tag and didn't draw, so I am pretty sure that puts me way to far down the list to get a call. Last year was the year that I finally drew the bow tag (after way more years than the odds would suggest) and thus was not eligible to do the depredation hunt. I imagine its a mathematical impossibility to be high enough on the depredation list if you applied for a bow tag now.

But now I have to go climb that rock and pack two nannies off of it for him. At least we don't have the pressure of having to do it on the first day. I will get to look at a bunch of beautiful billies and get depressed, as I know I will never draw a billy tag in my lifetime.

Man I wish we could put those on some other mountains!...anybody got a tranquilizer gun I can borrow?

Thanks for letting me vent :)

-I have fought tougher men, but I really can't remember when-

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom