IBEX

B

bachicha2210

i draw a muzzle-loader hunt for Feb, Ive seen you tube clips where the hunter diver up the floride mtns, if any one has any info on that road it would be a big help or any info where to camp at?

There is an old road up to an old cabin near the middle, but it passes through private land. I have seen the road and would be pretty scary even on an ATV. From where that road ends, you still need to walk.... so come in shape and ready to hike/climb. A fun hunt! Study the terrain on google earth.

I went up that road on a side by side and four wheeler both were alittle hairy. If you get there early I would stay in that cabin (beats the hell out of a tent). Its a fun place to hunt but be ready to walk. If that side by side was loaded down like the beverly hillbillies in that video you watched that was me and my buddy. Good Luck

where did you and your buddy go is that road along windmill canyon?I ve seen ibex on the south side of the florida s along the south peak and box canyon

was that road along windmill canyon or closer to mahoney park?I ve seen ibex on the south side of the florida s along the south peak and box canyon

There is a trail that goes up to an old stone cabin on the west side through mahoney park. Yes it goes across private land but everyone I talked to said it was open to public access. If you go to my post about my sons ibex hunt the 5th picture is from up on top looking SW toward South Peak.

http://www.monstermuleys.info/dcforum/DCForumID34/3977.html

The road is in the bottom of the picture. There is an old abandoned farm place in mahoney park. that is about as far as you would want to drive a pickup along that road (unless you didn't care about your truck). It would take an ATV to go beyond that. You could maybe get up it with a jeep or truck set up for serious off roading but I wouldn't try it.

My son and I watched three groups of ATV's go up that trail the day before his season opened. It provided some good entertainment during the middle of the day........

The first group was 3 guys on two atv's. One of the ATV's was pulling a trailer. The ATV with the trailer had a VERY difficult time getting up the trail and took them several attempts. Regarding the ATV with two riders - they made the kid get off and walk up to the top.

The second group was 4 guys on a 4-seater ATV along with all their gear - my son and I laughed commenting that it looked like the beverly hillbilies - all they needed was granny on top in her rocking chair. We heard a loud BANG and the ATV halted before they even got to the rough part of the trail. We thought they had blown a tire. Found out later that night that they broken a rim. They had that ATV heavily loaded.

The third group was a dad and daughter on one ATV along with their gear. We watched them driving up and I saw something fall off the back of the atv as they drove along the bottom of the trail. They made it about half way up when the dad looked back and noticed somthing was missing and they had to backtrack.

brings back the memories. My dad took us up to that cabin a couple of times in '91, in a full size suburban, couldn't turn around the switch backs so he just backed up the mountain on alternating courses, remember riding shotgun and FREAKING out. Took my tacoma up there a couple times in 2005, didn't seem as bad as I remembered but there was considerable pucker factor in a couple of places and I swore I would never drive anything I wasn't prepared to leave up there again. had a great hunt but remember the whole time thinking about how I had to drive back down that thing.

Ya I have a atv I'm going to try it and see what happens? If that don't work I'll try hiking of the south side

The hike up isn't all that bad. Took us about an hour to an hour and a half to get to the top from about anywhere. Should be quicker in the cooler temps.

Good luck on your hunt.

When u want did u see alot of shooter billys? Where would u go to shoot a 35inch Billy?

If you can, take a day and drive around down there and glass the mountain fromt he bottom. There are lots of Billy's and if I were you, I wouldn't shoot anything unless it's approaching mid-40's. That is an awesome tag!! I'm a little Jealous!!

There are Ibex all over that rock pile, if you spend a day down there driving around, you will get a feel for it. Not a big area.

I have the muzz tag to. I'm thinking of heading that way a week before the season. Most say that's more scouting than necessary... But I for sure want to look at as many as possible before the season opens. And I don't want to feel cheated if I do pop a great one the first day... Not sure why I'm posting, other than I'm getting excited :)

Thats good to hear i hope u get a monster billy GOOD LUCKY!!!! i hope u post photos, i under stand how excited u are so im this time next month we will be sleeping with the goats lol.

thanks man im hoping to shoot something that big but ill be happy with a 30inch or bigger but only time will tell i plan on glassing alot and lets see what happens

Literally there are maybe 5 or 10 tags I would rather have in the lower 48 (out of hundreds) more then anML ibex tag. No elk tag! That is a GREAT tag, hunt hard and you will get a good shot at a 40" plus. Enjoy I am very jealous!

Down there last year with my brother on the same hunt. The best advice I will give you is plan on shooting with some major elevation change. My brother missed a billy that was pushing 50 inches. Ranged him at 250 yards and his range finder said to shot at 175. He shot at more like 150 and blew one right over the top of him. He did kill one at 200 yards, put it at 100 yards and hit him high, almost missed. Practice, practice, practice shooting sometimes straight down. Love that place, have hunted archery four different years.

Here is a photo of the Ibex we killed last year on the Muzzy hunt.

3914img00186.jpg

I've been all over this mountain the last few weekends chasing Ibex. It's a fun hunt to say the least. Very very challenging with a bow. I never did get into range. I was able to get to 140-150 yds on several occasions...just couldn't get closer. Anyhow, the road up to the stone house is pretty knarly. I went about 3/4 of the way and parked the quad. I think i could have made it...but it's tough in a couple spots. There are some good numbers of Ibex in this area though. PM me if you want so more details.

My only suggestion...DO NOT camp on the Mahoney park rd. Camp up top, or somewhere closer to town. Rockhound park or the east side. There are some bad things going on over there right now. Watch out. Daytime was fine, night was another story. I won't get into full details...just be smart and stay camp somewhere lit up and around other people.

Would you mind elaborating?
I'm heading down near there next weekend for javelina and was going to camp out of the truck in the boonies.

That's a really nice billy? How long is he ? Thanks for sharing your pic.

Best of luck to all I'm getting ready for my in
Ibex hunt I live tomorrow hope to come back with nice billy best of luck to all.And thank all of u with the info that u have given me I wish u all the best in your hunts.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom