Ibex

Not sure but it snowed pretty good yesterday in Silver so I am sure the conditions are rough...

I would like to view that whole scene from a helicopter or light plane. Between slippery conditions and all the hunters, I sure hope everyone gets off the rock pile in good shape.

Freakin' zoo on the rock .
NMGF had their heads wedged deep up their asses on this one.
Lord knows how many are being shot & not recovered or recorded towards the quota. I'm sure a few big billies are being practiced on too.

------------------
DRSS

LAST EDITED ON Feb-21-13 AT 06:33PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Feb-21-13 AT 06:24?PM (MST)

Got it done with my two. My name is in the hat, so hopefully this time next year I'll be posting pics of a muy Grande! I'll post some pics when I get back to town. They were only at a total of 60 when I checked in at 4. Nobody hikes so It's not as bad of a warzone despite hearing shots all day long. Disclaimer...I would guess I heard over 100 shots and I wasn't the recipient of one of those bullets thank the Lord!

Body count at 102 6pm.. im sure a few more has trickled in since.
Should EASILY close by tmrw.

------------------
DRSS

Thank God! Give those goats a good long summer break now!

------------------
DRSS

Lots of people. Lots of idiots. Game warden said they found a 40 inch Billy shot and left. Our group of 4 killed 7 by 2:00. On the mnt by 5:00 am. Could see 50 sets of headlights. Saw 11 trucks parked at one spot. Hot line said it was closed at 9:15. Then later said it was still open. We heard 120 reported around 8:00. Hope they didn't keep it open after the quota was met. Only a light dusting of snow and the usual "light" winds. Not as bad as first day of the muzzle loader hunt though.

Hotline says its open today and will close at end of shooting hours today. So I would imagine that means 200 could easily be brought off the mountain...at least another 100 left probably.

I think my brother said it best: The fact that they are having to do this means that G&F has not been doing their job. Someone should get fired for not being able to manage Ibex correctly.

Oh...and the muzzy hunt should be once in a lifetime too!

When I was on the muzz hunt we guessed 300-400 would be killed. I bet that number is still going to be close. That is figuring in the ones people hit and didn't look for, the ones shot on the cliffs that they could never have a chance of recovering and the billey's shot. From what I saw I would agree with shooting some BUT NOT the way they did it. i would be fine if the muzz hunt was an OIL tag. But since its not i will probably apply again. My muzz shoots about as good as my rifles. I shot mine at 376 yards and I felt very comfortable to a bit farther

Keep the info coming. I want to hear exactly what the hunting experiance was like. Thought I would put in for this tag next year but so far sounds like too much of a circus for my liking. Thanks for all who have posted so far, and for those who yet will.

Also, for what its worth, the last time they did this the trophy tags dropped to 5 tags a year for about a decade.

I remember because it was immediately following my dad's qualifying hunt when he got to shoot 3 in a year (2 F/IM and then since he accomplished that he got to go back and shoot a billy).

Then he drew that same hunt the next year! What a crock!...then nobody hunted ibex for quite some time (slight exageration, but true for all intensive purposes).

A circus NO, not on the normal hunts. Its an awesome hunt. I do think as was stated that the tag numbers will and did get cut for next year. I am pretty new to any thing on the rock so others can tell you much better then me. I hunted with people that have been there a lot so I did learn from some good ones. With the 60 muzz tags we did run into some people for sure but not bad. Its a fun hunt with a lot of animals(or at least was) I would do the hunt again in a second, it is a fun hike up and down the rock :)
https://picasaweb.google.com/115516601528181241557/Ibex?authkey=Gv1sRgCILiwqu5ioS6tgE

my picture album with bunch of duplicates and taxi reference photos ext

Bogey, that is an interesting smokepole... Where do you put the ramrod? I have hunted with the Ultimate Muzzleloader and have seen the Gunwerks muzzleloader and both have a bolt action receiver but you can clearly see the ramrod. I thought that both the Ultimate and the Gunwerks were the most advanced muzzy out there, I would love to hear about yours!

I basically just put a 45 cal Brux barrel on one of my switch barrel rem 700 cf guns. My buddy built a breech plug and we use 45 acp cases modified to take 209 primers. I carry a separate 3 piece parachute cord type ram rod. The gun can be shot both with black powder substitutes and smokeless. For NM it can not be smokeless so I tried Black horn 209 and it shot lights out right off the bat. I am shooting 300 grain Parker MH, I have shot it with there 275 BE as well, all shoot great. The bullets fit the bore snug with no sizing or sabots, I do have a swinglock size die if needed. Groups at 200 are right around 1". I did get a very funny look from one hunter as he studied my gun, as it does look just like your typical centerfire rifle with a heavy barrel and a big hole down it!
You can read about these set up here and feel free to ask any other questions you have.
http://dougsmessageboards.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=smokeless

Interesting design. Is the breech built into the barrel? Like Ultimate? What ignites the powder? Ultimate uses a 45 win primed pistol case. Quick second shots must be tough :)

Very similar in design to the Ultimate. Very cool stuff. Looked like a NF scope? Turret system? Not trying to bust your balls here just interested in the gun. Like hunting with muzzleloaders and love all the new technology.

Vortex 4x16 PSt ffp.
ask away.......just need to get some work done at the same time or I will have to fire myself!

yes turrets.....but between the flight or me falling on my fat arse a handfull of times the first day. it was off which did make for a screwed up shot at only 100 yards. Re sighted in, hence the beer box with the holes in. I never brought the wrench to re set the turret and just shot the MOA bars in the scope. I had tested both and was confident either way

one good thing was I used the action, stock, scope from a gun I had and i so the cost was pretty decent. All I have to do is switch barrels back and forth

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom