Idaho Antelope

mossyhorn

I drew an Idaho Super Tag for antelope, so I can hunt any unit that is open. I haven't hunted antelope in 20 years so I could use some help. My lone hunt was unsuccessful to boot. Season dosen't start for another couple of months. Would you start scouting areas now? If you spot a good buck, will he likely stay in the same area until hunting season? Do they live around their water source or do they travel. I know alot of people hunt them with archery equipment here so I don't expect any secret spots but I sure could use a shove in the right direction. A little antelope scouting and hunting 101!!!

Thanks in advance for your replies!

Mossyhorn

P.S. I will probably hunt in 39, 40, 42 or 45.

I know of 2 that I would look for in 45. Both 15-16", and last seen Fairfield to Camas. Good luck!

Lucky!
If it was me I would be scouting and hunting every chance I got in unit 39.....probably one of the best units in the state for big bucks and numbers.
Unit 40 holds some great bucks...but finding them would be a chore!
Let me know if you choose 39...drew the rifle tag a few years ago and seen some great bucks and I could give you a few spots to check out.
YB

You may also want to look at the region up above Arco/Howe, several of the record book bucks in Idaho have come from there.
Specifically, the PAHSIMEROI VALLEY. Also, Lemhi county, Blaine, Butte, and Clark County, where the current Idaho book antelope was killed, and if you can believe it was as recently as 1997.

Good luck to you, that would be a real fun hunt to have. My dad drew an antelope tag this year, so I will be tagging along on his hunt this year.

I haven't ad the chance yet, but i've always heard great things about 39 and 42. I've personally hunted in 52b in '95 and '04. I can't say anything really positive either trip about size or numbers of goats. I would stay clear of this zone unless you like to see plenty of sage and no antelope. I have seen some good goats on hunts with friends on the north side of hwy20 southeast of Arco last year and in 2000. @ of them were pushing book sze, but were in difficult areas to stalk. The INEEL bondaries make it interesting to make your way on a good goat, as I have sen them try to stay within the boundaries and you don't want to get caught on the wrong side of that line!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom