Idaho baiting

armybrat

Should have probably put this in the Idaho or bear forum but thought I would get more responses here. I have been going to Montana for the last two years bear hunting, and the wife has decided she wants to kill a bear. Now being that Montana is spot and stalk and knowing how tuff of a hunt it can be, I would prefer her first bear hunt to be over a bait where she can get a good rest and in my opinion have a better experience for the first time hunting bears. Does anybody know of someone I can hire to bait a site for me a couple of weeks before arriving, I am willing to pay just don't want to pay for things like food, a place to stay and all of the other things I can do by myself. I would bait myself but being from Utah it doesn't seem to cost efficient to drive the couple hundred miles just to bait. Anyways if anybody is willing or know someone who wants some cash for baiting let me know.

Your Idea would probably fall under Idaho's definition of "guiding" and you won't have much luck finding someone to accept cash or guiding without a liscense. I would try hunt swap.

Even if you did find someone to bait "with" you for a couple of weeks a hound hunter would strike his dogs on you bait site and the bear would be gone before daylight the first day. For years I would camp on a local river that bears hang out on but I didn't bait. I would find "hot" spots that I always saw bears in. Every year I went there to hunt for a bear the dogs were turned loose in the dark to start the chase. The last time was the last straw. The bear was coming into my camp at night and I knew that I was going to get a shot in the morning. The dogs were turned loose a full hour before daylight. My whole family was up, the dogs were running through camp, guys yelling and cussing. Then there was the trucks, 4 wheelers, and a lot more yelling. They came through my camp in the dark and later shot the bear I was watching.
I wish I had your spot and stalk problem. I wish we had some spot and stalk areas close to me. The units we do have here are draw tags and the odds are not real good getting a tag. Be happy with what you got. Ron

I've found it's just as cost effective to run some bait into ID as hire someone to do it as long as you're not way south in Utah. Now, maybe you don't want to do it because it's a pain in the ass. Maybe you can find someone willing to let you sit a bait after they leave the area.

Idahoron ? man I hear ya. Sucks to get hot hits and sit your stand with hounds and wolves getting your goodies just to hear your bear get shot not far away. I found that if you drive past a full tank of gas back in (so you need to take some), and bait in locations that the bear doesn't cross the road to hit you have a better chance keeping the hounds off. For sure don't tell anyone where you bait and don't camp close to your baits.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-08-09 AT 09:32AM (MST)[p]I have been baiting the same areas for years and done quite well...I've never had a houndsman start off my bait. It's all about location and how hard you're willing to work to get off the beaten path. Go to places where people don't like to run their dogs you won't have to worry about it. Plus, you'll be deep in bears, too. It's not uncommom for me to have 4-6 visitors before dark...now, if I could just get 'em to grow bigger :) Good luck with your quest armybrat.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom