Idaho Bear River (75/78) elk

RidgeRebel

Hey fellas,

My brother and I will be heading to Idaho to hunt archery elk next month. We have Bear River A tags. Is there anyone willing to share info for the region? We will be there for 10 days the second week of September. Does either 75 or 78 have a better elk population? I would be happy to share info from the areas I have hunted in Utah and a few other states in kind. Thanks

Bob

You can find harvest statistics on the IDFG website that might give you some useful insights. I think you might be able to get away from people a little bit more in unit 75 just because 78 is closer to the Logan, UT and Bear Lake, but that is really just speculation. There are tons of recreational users that come up through Logan canyon and Bear Lake, and some of that spills over into Idaho unit 78.

See you on the mountain. I also have an Elk Bear River (A) tag and general deer tag with archery and muzzeloader endorsements. Plan to archery for both deer and elk.
I spent a lot of time primitive weapon Utah when it was in November back in 96-98. a lot has changed since then. I know the Utah side right up to the Idaho border from Franklin Basin to the privete land on the Bear Lake side very well. I have a friend that has hunted the area recently and scouts deeper into unit 77,78 and 75. I plan to do a scout trip myself week of August 13-20. Mostly to locate good area to sett up my 5th wheel base camp. I will likely set up camp and start hunting Sept 5/6 to whenever. I'm retired so the return to work is not an issue. I'm happy to share what I find when I return from scouting. There is plenty of game for all of us no reason to hoard knowladge. The "good old days" of my secerate spot was gone 50 years ago.

See you on the mountain. I also have an Elk Bear River (A) tag and general deer tag with archery and muzzeloader endorsements. Plan to archery for both deer and elk.
I spent a lot of time primitive weapon Utah when it was in November back in 96-98. a lot has changed since then. I know the Utah side right up to the Idaho border from Franklin Basin to the privete land on the Bear Lake side very well. I have a friend that has hunted the area recently and scouts deeper into unit 77,78 and 75. I plan to do a scout trip myself week of August 13-20. Mostly to locate good area to sett up my 5th wheel base camp. I will likely set up camp and start hunting Sept 5/6 to whenever. I'm retired so the return to work is not an issue. I'm happy to share what I find when I return from scouting. There is plenty of game for all of us no reason to hoard knowladge. The "good old days" of my secerate spot was gone 50 years ago.
That would be great! Thanks for being willing to help.
Bob

A quick search of my posts would show you that I am not one of those guys and I have reciprocated the sharing of plenty of information. I did report back via PM to some who hit me up. Unfortunately, I have no real exciting info to share for this hunt. It was pretty tough. We did find a few elk, but there were not many for how good the country looks. You can cover a lot of ground in the bear river units without finding fresh sign. The elk were very pocketed. As you would expect, we saw no elk for the first few days of the weekend when we started, but by Tuesday the following week we started to find a few. We had one close encounter with a small bull, but no shots. There were a lot of people on the ends of the week, many just recreating. I would be happy to share any info on the area.

I have not spent a lot of time hunting these Idaho units, but your report is pretty close to my own experience. I also know that elk can be hard to find and they can disappear just when you think you have it all figured out.

A quick search of my posts would show you that I am not one of those guys and I have reciprocated the sharing of plenty of information. I did report back via PM to some who hit me up. Unfortunately, I have no real exciting info to share for this hunt. It was pretty tough. We did find a few elk, but there were not many for how good the country looks. You can cover a lot of ground in the bear river units without finding fresh sign. The elk were very pocketed. As you would expect, we saw no elk for the first few days of the weekend when we started, but by Tuesday the following week we started to find a few. We had one close encounter with a small bull, but no shots. There were a lot of people on the ends of the week, many just recreating. I would be happy to share any info on the area.
Thanks for the report! Sounds like some tough hunting.

Thanks for the info. If you care to share any spots in those units to start looking for elk I would appreciate the insight.

Hunted it a few years back, same story as several of the others. Tough hunting. Found sign, didn’t lay eyes on an elk. Started to feel that the elk behave more like deer over there, silent, stealthy, mostly nocturnal.

We located most of the elk by taking a late night and calling some canyons around 1am and then going back at first light. But rarely heard a call in daylight hours. The elk also did not react well to any type of call in daylight.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom