Idaho California bighorns

NVBighorn

Long Time Member
Wish I was posting that I had drawn an Idaho sheep tag and I was out fishing for information on where/how to hunt them but I actually did not apply. But I am, of course, fishing. What can anyone tell me about California bighorn in Idaho? I've noticed the quotas and success dropped the last few years and I have read a little about it. But what's the skinny? Has anyone here ever hunted them? Are they rebounding? Did they really decline? I realize a lot of guys are more interested in the Rocky's (and I would love to hear about them too) but there's just something about those darn Californias that's under my skin.

The California Bighorns in the Owyhee's are having some problems with cougars. Remote country and hardly anyone going down there during the winter makes it a cougars dream. It is even one on the only units IDFG allows electronic calls for cougar.

I think that the population is finally stable now. IDFG opened up another hunt this year and added 2 tags. We will see if the population begins to rise again.

I applied for Rockies myself this year. Didnt draw.

I have a good buddy that is a cougar guide here in idaho and he hunted down in the owyhees last season.. He said that there were cougars everywhere they went. He told me how they would find lion kills of deer and bighorns all the time.

-Hghcountry

LAST EDITED ON May-23-03 AT 10:31AM (MST)[p]My son is an Idaho resident now and plans to get down there lion hunting this next winter. It is tough country to hunt and doesn't get much snow but he likes that sort of stuff. If you have any ideas where he might start please let me know. I have always heard of the sheep being in the Little Jack's creek area but how about further east? East of Bruneau maybe? Where else are they?

The other thing I heard about a while back was something to do with the Air Force and fly overs. What is the status on that? Were they trying to shut off some access or something? Can't remember the particulars.

I was out in the Owyhees this weekend over Memorial Day around Big Jacks Creek. My dad and I saw 8 rams early in the morning and by 9 AM we were 150 yards from them. 1 of the rams was in the 6-8 year old range. 2 others were barely legal (4 or so) and the other 5 were smaller. My dad killed a sheep back in 94 on the Jarbidge, but the population has gone down immensly due to lions, I think some disease, and some other factors. But if the population is at all like we saw this weekend maybe they are on a rebound. Also one of the major problems that we might encounter very soon is wilderness areas being put into place, cutting down on access in many places, but if you like to walk a long ways I guess this isn't all that bad.

There are some big rams still down there. They are kinda concentrated and if you know where to look it's a great hunt. E-mail me and i'll give you some areas to scout.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom