Idaho early elk hunt unit 45

nvpinstripe

I finally got lucky and drew an early rifle hunt for bull elk in the Bennett Hills unit 45 and unit 52 in Idaho. I have been in the area before for excellent mule deer hunting. Just curious if there are any big bulls roaming those hills. Any info on elk in the area would be excellent.

Thanks for the reply littlefoot. From your reaction it sounds like I got a decent tag. I have been talking with some of my friends in the area and they had the same reaction as you did. I have not been the area for a long time.

nvpinstripe

You got a great tag. Its probable the easiest elk hunt in the state. Are there many trophies? Now thats the questions you should be asking. People mistake this hunt for a trophy hunt because it is in early Sept. A 320 can be found with some work. but if you are looking for something bigger you have your work cut out for you. I haven't seen a bull over 320 in three years, that does not mean that they are not there. You'll have to work your bottom off and get lucky all at the same time. I will keep my eyes open for you. keep in touch as the season gets closer and I will let you know what we are seeing. Congrats on the tag! What weapon are you going to use?

Steve

Steve, thanks for the info. I am goind to hunt the whole season and try to make a couple of scounting trips. I plan on using a 7mm mag with a 140 TSX. This is my first elk hunt period and I have not been in that area for twenty years. Any info would be great. Feel free to send me and email or instant message.

Thanks,
Paul

pinstripe, Several of us got drawn for the Oct. deer hunt. Any ideas or suggestions. I am from WA and plan on three to four scouting trips and will probably hunt three weeks out of the season. Were very excited. Thanks, Nick

I have not hunted deer in the area for over twenty years. I was young and don't remeber much. I am going scouting in July and August and will let you know what I see. Kicker, I sent you a line via email. Let me know if you get.

I had the muzzleloader deer tag in 45 last year. My opinion is the same as Steve's. This is not a good elk unit! But with some work you could find a 300 bull. Stay in the north west end, near the private. Todd

i posted some of these pics last fall, so you guys that have seen them, bear with us...these were 'every-day' bulls that i was seeing in unit 45, one week prior to the hunt...i was seeing between 25 to 30 nice bulls daily....here's a few of them, and two that were taken opening week-end. the shooter's were not particularily looking for monsters, as these were there first ever elk...couple of young men (17 and 20 i beleive) from washington state...nvpin....i got an e-mail from you (?) 'squad room', but when i answered, it came back undeliverable....
here ya go...

23153532.jpg

23153544.jpg

23153623.jpg

23153711.jpg

23160833.jpg

one happy hunter, and glad to be outa that 'hole'...
26125739.jpg

the other bull, with one 'righteous dude'...
25065321.jpg

where i was....
23100709.jpg

where the bulls were...
23111407.jpg

hope this helps....

Littlefoot- You are the man! Great pictures. My blood is boiling now. I am going to try and send you another line. Thanks again for the response and great pictures.
Thanks, Paul

Hey Paul, Awesome draw. There are a few big bulls in this area. I had a friend who hunted this a few years back and shot a 356 5/8 bull. They shot late and only had time to pack out the head and one quarter. To their surprise the remainder of the bull was chewed up (by a mountain lion they assume) and scattered all over the hillside. He has a nice mount, but got very little meat home. Check with the biologist about the mountain lion population and be careful about leaving any meat overnight. They said they even put one of their shirts on the carcass and urinated by it to keep this from happening!

LAST EDITED ON Jul-05-05 AT 07:19PM (MST)[p]Littlefoot

it looks like you are in unit 44. Unit 45 doesn't look anything like your photos. some of it kind of resembles 45 in parts of your photos. Unit 44 has some excellent elk even some pushing the 400 inch mark. Unit 45 on the other hand is way over rated. Yes you can find a bull like the one in the live photos but you will have to be very lucky. Its a great hunt don't get me wrong, but 320 bulls there are not to many. By the way, is the guy in the second photo a roofer? If its who I think it is he had a unit 44 tag. Just curious!

Steve

I second the opinion that that looks more like 44 than 45. I have spent a decent amount of time in both 44 & 45, I could be wrong. 44 is a great elk unit, if only I could draw a tag.....Some day, I hope. Happy hunting!

-Ed

I'm with Steve on this one. Those pictures look like unit 44 to me also. The picture with the big mountain has got to be, unit 45 doesn't have any mountains like that. I also agree that unit 45 is WAY over rated for elk, the bigger bulls are across the highway in unit 44 and even up in unit 43.

my most humble apologies...especially to you 'nvpinstripe'...i was in unit 44, and i totally mis-read the title of the post as unit 45. i couldn't understand why one of you said there were only 320 bulls in the area...now i know why...yes, those pics are in 'willow creek'....again, my apologies to all. me thinks i better stay away from this site for awhile. i hope i didn't get anyones expectations to high, but i'm sure with the tag, you will have an excellent hunt...so sorry.

littlefoot

No need to stay away, everybody makes a mistake now and then. trust me I know this first hand! You got some great pictures keep up the great work.

Steve

Littlefoot, my good buddy drew a unit 44 elk tag and is thinking about not buying it because he doesn't think there are good bulls in unit 44. I would love to put him in touch with you so you could tell him otherwise!

You have some sweet pictures there, and I know he would be darn happy with a bull anywhere near that size.

Littlefoot,

I am ShelbyS's good buddy who drew the 44 tag. I was a little discouraged after spending all day last saturday scouting. I spent a lot of time in the west and central areas of the unit and didn't see a lot of sign. Which didn't necessarily concern me that much due to the time of year. However, while I was taking a lunch break up on the mountain I decided to study the proclamation and noticed that in Unit 44 there are three hunts happening at the same time; The doe hunt (700 tags), the buck hunt (225 tags), and the bull hunt (175 tags). This was more than concerning to me...considering the unit is really not that big. Did you run into a lot of people? I would love to chat with you or anyone who could help put me in the right place. Thanks in advance!

Muledeerhunter1

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom