Idaho Elk for Newbie?

jakeaba

Hey all, I hate to be that guy, but I’m having a hard time figuring out what to look for on the upcoming Idaho elk tag sale.

I’m trying to teach myself to hunt and have blown a bunch of money on tags and had 0 luck. I don’t mind striking out because of a skill issue, but not being able to even glass anything has been demoralizing.

I don’t anyone to think I’m asking for specifics, just trying to look for zones that have a decent shot at seeing some animals and learning what they like.

I use gohunt for research and can usually get an idea of what units are good based on draw odds, but with the random place in line Idaho uses, I am trying to make some lists so if anything is left I can jump on a tag that would be good for a beginner.

I have only harvested a couple white tails with my bow while stationed down in Louisiana last year and now stationed in oregon. I will be hunting with a rifle until I can learn how to find western species.

These forums have been a incredible resource for me as I try and teach myself this lifestyle. I am in my mid 30s and way behind where I imagine my peers of similar age are!

Thank you all for assistance

Honestly, if you’re already a bow hunter just stick with archery. Tons of units to pick from, better season and you’ll have a way better chance at getting into elk
Thanks for the reply! You’d stick with the bow even if I can’t even put eyes on any species, let alone make a stalk? I use a one stick method of climbing trees and hunting fresh sign as I walk around. I have 0 idea how to put a stalk on but could I use this whitetail method for deer / elk in timber? Thanks!

elk bugle and make lots of racket in sept bow season. If lucky to get a decent tag you can count on hearing them from a distance and move in long before you ever see them. Yeah, if competent with a bow, go for it.

If jonesing to start at least seeing more elk while you learn, archery could be a good season choice.

Last edited:
Get some mouth reeds and start learning how to use them. Yes, I believe you will see more animals archery hunting. Will you kill more? That’s up to how fast a learner you are
This was my 7th year archery hunting elk, the last one I killed was 3 years ago. I can without a doubt say JPickett is right on the money here. You will SEE more elk, no doubt about it. But the killing part can be a challenge

Hey all, I hate to be that guy, but I’m having a hard time figuring out what to look for on the upcoming Idaho elk tag sale.

I’m trying to teach myself to hunt and have blown a bunch of money on tags and had 0 luck. I don’t mind striking out because of a skill issue, but not being able to even glass anything has been demoralizing.

I don’t anyone to think I’m asking for specifics, just trying to look for zones that have a decent shot at seeing some animals and learning what they like.

I use gohunt for research and can usually get an idea of what units are good based on draw odds, but with the random place in line Idaho uses, I am trying to make some lists so if anything is left I can jump on a tag that would be good for a beginner.

I have only harvested a couple white tails with my bow while stationed down in Louisiana last year and now stationed in oregon. I will be hunting with a rifle until I can learn how to find western species.

These forums have been a incredible resource for me as I try and teach myself this lifestyle. I am in my mid 30s and way behind where I imagine my peers of similar age are!

Thank you all for assistance
PM and i will help you out with some advice on idaho OTC units. I would not hunt elk like whitetails just get aggressive and do not let them smell you! Jpickett is rt you need calls and stick w a bow.

I will third JPicketts response. Archery season teaches you way more about elk than rifle does. Rifle season can be more a "luck" hunt, while Archery will help you understand the habits of elk that you can possibly translate into a rifle hunt in the future. Plus, you will be hunting elk in the best month of the year, September.

If you want to PM me with a phone number, I will talk to you about strategies and possible units. I'd much rather help a newby than a guy that is already seasoned.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom