Idaho Elk Unit 40

NDelkhunter

After 30 years of applying for elk in ND(once in a lifetime) and still no luck, I was lucky enough to draw one of the Super Elk tags in Idaho. I've received all the maps of the Unit and am now looking for some help on where to begin. I will be coming out 5 days before the opener and I was hoping someone could give me some ideas on where to begin my scouting. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

So what did you end up killing? My friends wife drew up there and never ended up killing one, guess their luck was not so good and I heard it was like a circus with all the people. Damn fish and game have ruined that hunt with the super tag they are now getting way more pressure than they should for that hunt. But also congrats on your luck of drawing the tag as well.

First 7 days there was a bust, lots of people(hunters and campers) but no elk. I ended up go home and driving back on the 14th(20 hours 1 way). The elk still were not in rut, so the hunt was tough, one guy shot a heavy 6X6 on 17th and then pulled out, which left me with the Mountain to myself. I did find a bull on 18th, I let him go till the next morning and then decided to take him. He wasn't a monster, but a 6X6 none the less.

My boy(13) pulled a Super Hunt tag this year also. I scouted South Mtn 3 times, seeing multiple 6pts each time and finding a few 300+ inch bulls. I figured the opener would be easy and if a huge one could not be found then the Rut would make it easy to get a nice one.

We saw about a dozen 6pt bulls but none in that 315 plus goal I had set, and none close. we did watch 7 bulls(4x 6pts) the last evening on one ridge, but again no big boys. We returned 2 more weekends of that early hunt, did finally find one of the big guys I'd seen a few times scouting. We were lucky enough, after watching him walk over a ridge to find him again that eve laying in a hole in the canopy of heavy timber. As we worked on stalking in on him we bumped 3 small 6pts which blew him out. We closed that season with no shots and a dissapointed 13 year old.

We tried Unit 44 twice, but even with the help of a seasoned hunter who had killed deer and elk in that unit, could only find one cow, one calf, one spike, and one rag horn.

My oldest son had been lucky enough to draw a late 51 tag, so unfortunately that is where my 13 year old had to try and fill his Superhunt tag. I will say that we had one great stalk on a decent heard(almost 3000 ft of elevation uphill to their location) and unfortunately had them blown out by a non-hunting member of our group who couldn't help but hike out onto a visible ridge below the elk that spooked them. The biggest bull wasn't huge(probably just over 300") but he was still gone. We went back one last weekend(thanksgiving) when it was 5 degrees, before windchill. We found multiple large herds and tried two stalks, but luck again wasn't with us.

Not only did my son eat his Superhunt tag, my older son and I both ate late season 51 bull tags also. I passed on some shots myself at 4 and 5 pt bulls hoping to get them on them, but oh well. You make choices and live with them. I kind of regret not pushing harder for some of the smaller bulls earlier, but when you have a tag of a lifetime...

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom