Idaho Muzzleloaders....

deepforks

so, ive decided to get myself a muzzleloader, and was wondering what inline i should get. being in idaho, i obviously need one that will be legal for the muzzy only hunts, but also want one that i can hunt short range units if i choose so (can legally shoot the 209 for these hunts). with the possibility that i may hunt deer with it, should i stick with a 50cal, or go with a 54cal? it will primarily be an elk shooter. im totally new to the muzzy world, so any and all help is appreciated. really want to stick with a modern gun that can be converted to the traditional requirements of idaho.

thanks guys,

how old is it? so is it a wolverine? do those come set up for #11 or 209....do they have the conversion kit? i might be interested. let me know what you think of it.

deepforks if you are interested in an Knight the sportsman warehouse here in riverdale UT, has a Knight Bighorn new for $299.97 this one comes with three breech plugs and can use the #11 cap, musket caps and 209 primers.

I bought one of them the other day their is one left.

sage, thanks for the tip. my dad actually just bought a bighorn too. ill call the store tomorrow and see if they will ship it to boise. thanks again!

should be in boise by next friday or saturday. again sage, thanks for the heads up. so the next question is this. what are some good recipes, or where is a good place to start looking? i am 100% green when it comes to muzzleloaders.

thanks,

I have a Big Horn from a RMEF banquet 26" bbl camo-syn stock stainless steel #186 of 400 ser.# - The beast is heavy but shoots well. My best result is with 110Gr. loose tip-7 powder and a 250gr. bonded shockwave w/super glide sabot.I would recomend the Leupold Q.D. mounts and a better scope than I curently have. The v-1 2x7 is a bit week on clarity and was an impulsive purchase.

I took a cow in 2004 in the San Jaun's of Colorado. Had to loose the scope and changed to a 295Gr. power belt load to be legal. Loaded on a friday and killed on the fallowing friday! Uncapped for travel and in camp each night.The 45yd shot caught her in the mid chest but did not exit. A fallow up shot was nessary and she never got very far.This load did not group well enough for any long range work.

Capping is a pain and requires a goofy little tool that if lost could be an issue. The scope makes it harder to get at the cap and makes cleanning a chore.This rig can punch 3" groups at 200yds with the right load.
A friend has a T.C. Omaga and loves it. Much easier to clean and he gets good groups with pellets and the same sabot/bullet.I don't know the requirements for Idaho, and maybe a break open action might not be legal. Good luck with your purchase and have a good season.

To be legal in Idaho the cap must be exposed so I don't think the omega is legal.

My bighorn has the synthetic stock and thumbhole and is not heavy at all.

Hey idhunters, what kind of load are you shooting out of your bighorn. I have the same setup and trying to find an accurate load with no luck yet. Hope you dont mind shareing some info.

TC makes an Omega, called the Nortwest Explorer. Specifically built for Idaho, Oregon Washington. I have one, but have not shot it yet, waiting to draw a muzzy tag in Oregon.
MDnut

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom