Idaho Sheep results

I'm in my 'other year' rotation so I did elk/deer this year and rotate back next year into sheep.....I don't know why ya can't do all species each year....?? oh well.

I agree. I write Foo+Goo every year explaining the $ benefit to them if we could apply for all species.
Maybe if more of us spoke up.....

I couldn't disagree more. Those who truly want to go sheep hunting have very good odds relative to draws in other states. I wish more states would go to this method. I feel much better about spending the money to apply for a hunt with 1:15 odds versus 1:500.

ramslam

I agree with ramslam. The fact that you have to:

1. Front the tag money
2. Choose one controlled hunt
3. Buy the license and keep it
4. swallow hard with no points game to play

are all keeping the odds of actually drawing an Idaho sheep tag the best around. You just gotta be sitting under the right shamrock that day.

Interesting to look at the draw odds (they are already posted for 2004) and look at the percentages of non-residents that drew. For goat and rocky mountain bighorn it was almost exactly ten percent overall. For California Bighorn it was actually 13 percent (2 out of 15 tags). Odds in the California areas ran as good as 1 in 12. There is one Rocky area that had odds of 1 in 6!

So ramslam, you didn't say if you drew? :)

I did not. But Unit 11 is open to the raffle hunter this year so I will see if I can regenerate my raffle luck from a couple years ago. I live right across the river from that herd so it would be a dream to draw or have a friend draw it.

I think it is interesting to look at the applications for Unit 11. I think there were only 34 resident applications. What a waste! If the 10% quota is met before 11 is drawn, then a resident is guaranteed to draw the tag so odds would be 1:34! Two years ago a non-resident drew, 2003 it was a resident, and 2004 shows a non-resident drew. If I were a resident, I would damn sure be putting in for 11 next year.

The fronting of tag money is what keeps me from applying. So I apply on odd years when the auction hunter is hunting unit 11 and do not apply on even years when I can buy raffle tickets.

ramslam

Where ya have to front the full fee amount and the license fee with no credit card option to apply is probably why the odds would stay fairly equal if you could apply for all species yearly. I just don't see odds going from 1 in 34 to 1 in 500 if you could apply for all species every year. Throw in the fact that ya might, just might see one Ram a year make B&C and Idaho just doesn't get the crowds of applicants like Mt. or Colo. or even N.Mex. with the $3000.00 plus tag fee.

Granted, I"m all for better odds so it really doesn't matter what they do as far as keeping it like it is. Everyone has a game plan and strategy that they use year in and year out. With the prices of tags going up yearly in one state or another a guy has to be prepared to hopefully draw somewheres. Doing raffle tix in some states can be better odds than the draw odds!! Go figure....

Whats next?? Montana or is it Nv. draws....Good luck everyone.

With 190 nonresidents and 34 residents, odds are pretty good a nonresident will be pulled first, and it will be long before the 10% cap is met, as that is twice the number of nonresidents trying for the next most popular nonresident hunt, and five to 10 times that of most other units. The 10% cap has no effect on this one, but really hurts nonresident odds on easier to draw hunts. I guess more residents do not apply because of the worse than 200:1 draw odds.

I have no basis and have not asked F&G but my hunch is they draw beginning with Unit 11 one year and then in reverse order the following year. If I was a resident applicant and they did not do this I would make that suggestion as the odds would be stacked against the residents for that unit.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom