Idaho Super Hunt tag, my story

snagpoint

First some background: In the real world I've fostered my hunting habit by being a Commercial Fisherman in Bristol Bay Alaska. 44 years of memories (my brother, his family, my sons and myself operate 2 gillnetters) Last summer I fished my last season, after 10 years of fighting Parkinson's it was time to hang it up. This week I turned in my firefighting turnouts, pager, radio, and gear after 20+ years of being a volunteer firefighter. Don't feel sorry for me , I've had a great run, but I was feeling down (the guys and girls leave this coming week for the fishing season). Interesting how a call from IDFG can help make ones day. "Hi this is IDFG you have been drawn for Idaho's Super Hunt deer tag!"

My dear wife thought something had really gone wrong in our lives, my face showed my shock at the news. "Well, I guess I won't be seeing much of you this fall." She said after I explained what the call was about. Ha, little does she know!

Now, I'm the type of person who doesn't post much about my hunting success or when I eat my tag, nothing wrong at all about those that do, just my style. Been hunting your good State of Idaho for near 30 years, love the county and most of the down to earth people I meet. Hunt mostly Whitetails( closer to my farm in southeast Washington) Have hunted 39, 43, so I know some of that country(just driving your 'fine' road from Arrowrock to Alanta takes years off the life of your rig and butt). I'll hunt the "trophy" units 44, 45 , 57, and unit 11 (drew mule deer in 05). Using a bow is no longer an option. But love black powder hunting, (have a 50 cal knight and a 50 cal Kahnke) and rifle hunt with a 7mm STW or 270 when the STW seems a bit of overkill.

In exchange for help and input I'll post when I can, pictures and how my hunt is going. (I will not tell were I am, just unit, if requested not even that) But above all, it will be the memories of this hunt that will be my best trophy, even if I eat my tag. Snag

Congrats on the tag. You seem to have a great attitude and hopefully you find the buck of a lifetime to go along with the memories to be made.

Good luck!

Congrats!

Post tons of pictures and updates so we can follow along all season. The last guy on here that drew the elk super tag a couple years ago had an awesome thread.

Thats awesome that you got a Supertag. I didnt think they drew for them til June 15th. It sounds like you have enough experience hunting here you wont have to much trouble making this a hunt of a lifetime. GOOD LUCK on your hunt and your quest to SNAG what your after.

Congratulations on your retirement from fishing and firefighting. I'll bet you had one hell of a ride!

Now, congratulations again on drawing your super hunt deer tag. Cannot wait for your hunt thread to unfold!

Secound guy i've heard of that got that call!Thats what happens when you file your hunt results before jan 18th or 15th.State draws ten tags.Way to go,have fun.Larry

Thanks for the comments. Still questioning myself about about doing this on a open forum. One part of me says I could use the help, but like I stated, "It's not my style."
So I will pull this post in the morning. snag

>Thanks for the comments. Still
>questioning myself about about doing
>this on a open forum.
> One part of me
>says I could use the
>help, but like I stated,
>"It's not my style."
>So I will pull this post
>in the morning. snag
>

You don't have to do that. Take no shame in getting some help with the best tag you will ever have. There are people here from just about every area and getting some help won't be an issue as far as I can tell. You'll have eyes all over the state, even a good guide can't cover as much ground as the people here can.

Most of us here put in for a super tag and will never draw it. When someone does and takes the time to share their hunt with us, its as close as most of us will ever get. Most of us love a good write up. The kill and the trophy are only a very small part of a good story.

Take no shame in getting some help with the best tag you will ever have. I would like to help ....FemoralArchery is spot on

LAST EDITED ON Jun-09-13 AT 08:25AM (MST)[p]Thanks for the input. Oh I'll take the help, but in return I would feel like it's only fair to share the hunt, therein lies the problem. Ok so here is my thoughts on the issue: Back in 09 We had a real cougar problem on my farm, some of the guys on that forum taught me the basics, tips and tricks in hunting cougar. Never got that one, but it led to me killing in my mind one of my best trophies(memories) I will ever take: http://www.predatormastersforums.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1223041&page=all
Only my close friend know of other memories I've put on the wall. Do I again, want to open myself to more pressure that I would put on myself to do a good job of telling the story, not to let the expectations of others, push me beyond my comfort zone. The tag is great but it comes at a personal price to anyone who happens to beat the odds and win this hunt. For me, I am afraid that this, and other factors, of sharing my hunt, will keep pushing and exposing me to pressure and influence of my choices. I would rather eat the tag(very good chance that I will, and have in the past) unless the deer is a trophy for me personally and my personal expectations. Well I will give this some more thought. Not a bad thing to do. Snag

Congrats on a very nice tag. Sounds like you deserve it. I wish you the best of luck. Keep us informed.

you have an opportunity to kill the buck of your lifetime...take advantage of it. but remember, kill the buck YOU want. maybe it's just a heavy 24" typical. maybe a really wide 3 pt. point is, don't feel pressure from anyone on here. kill what makes you happy. doubt anyone will tell you that you screwed up. how can they? it's your hunt!! do what you want and don't second guess yourself. congrats and good luck!

Well, here is what I've turned up so far. I call each regional office and talked to the bio or habitat person. Unit 11, plusses I know it very well, close to home holds a few older class bucks. Minuses, Mostly straight up and then more of the same, They don't call it Hells Canyon for nothing. Very limited access.
Unit 40, +'s, bio thought that it could produce some top end bucks. -'s Don't know a lot about this unit. Has a general season, (two points), lots of control hunt tags. Unit 44, +'s, has the reputation, I have at least seen a little of it as I drove it on the way to 43, 39. No general hunt. -'s, A lot of tags for size of unit? Can migrate out of area. 45 Has the rep but is it still holding older age class deer? Between all the seasons, must be covered by hunters, more or less.
Unit 54 ???? Maybe to much access. Lots of control tags. Unit 55 ????? Same story? Any input on my choices

Hey SHOUT out to those that pm me with help. Thanks for sharing ideas and general areas to scout. I think I will muzzy hunt 45, rifle 45, and 57 late. (might work in a few trips to unit 11 since it is close to home and since I've sweated and moaned and stumbled my over most of it, and google earthed that country so much it's covered with
yellow pins marking where I have a tree stand or had I should state) [whitetail of course] I'll head out to start looking over where I plan to hunt at the end of June for a 3-4 day trip. Oh, point of interest: "Snagpoint," Is a big bluff that juts out into the top end of Nushagak Bay in Bristol Bay Alaska. Always like the sound of it. History lesson finished. Snag

"We have met the enemy, and they is us!" Pogo

Snagpoint
It sounds like you have a great game plan. I have been in your dilemma with the supertag. One thing that I would like to tell you is shoot a buck that you will be happy with. In your mind your going to find something wrong with every buck you look over. I should not say this but I ate a supertag because I got too picky and was passing up 190-195" bucks and people where telling me I was crazy. I was. Also, look over 44, 45, 22. Good luck!

I saw a picture of a non typical stud of a buck from 22 last year (2012) although I can't say I know anything about the unit.

I'll PM what info I do have. Not much help on muley bucks, I was really hoping you had an elk tag when I opened this thread...

I wouldn't use the word great to describe the deer in 70.The tribe takes the best of them; then with us 18 landowner permits plus 175 other dedicated hunters,and don't forget the youth doe tags, oh yea and all the road kills on I.15 plus general archery that a lot of good hunters use their 2nd tag on. Good bucks are very rare. Most of the deer are on private anyway. However I do agree with some of the other choices.If I had that tag I would be camped on the Mud Flat road.

Hi MM members, Thank you for your help on this hunt. Your info went into the equation of making a great hunt. After 4 weeks of hunting. (I came home on the weekends to recover) Over 3000 miles on my trusty toyota t-100. To many 4:30 am wake ups and weather so hot I ran my air conditioning during the day. I tagged out with a deer I am proud and lucky to have gotten. Packing a 7mm STW so I could make those long shots. running to many rounds at my range on my farm. I shot this beauty of a buck at 100 yds! The fact that it was straight down and I could back my rig up to the bank and slide him into the pickup only came to my mind a few time as a as I thought about to shoot or not shoot. Bang, how could I miss a deer at that distance (it was, in my defense a straight on shot and, oh well I missed) Kaboom, and he dropped like a ton of bricks. The hunt was over. Any regrets, you bet (one always wonders what the next day, the next area, the look around another corner could produce that dream buck). But really none, I did my best by the tag I could give the given my limits and natures weather. Aw the memories. IT truly was a wonderful hunt. snagpoint
2817img_0288.jpg

1047img_0294.jpg

4410img_0300.jpg

uint 45, I saw this buck the week before, I shot him, only knew after that it seemed to be the same buck.

yes, 189 5/8 gross. 25+ wide.
I do however, have a real problem with B&C, they are biased towards a buck with wide racks. Just because God made a deer with a narrow rack! Don't get me started.

snagpoint I am only sorry that I didn't find this post much earlier! I would have loved to help you on your quest but you took a beautiful buck. Those backs are amazing and that buck is a stud. 45 hasn't been what it once was and you should be extremely proud of that buck. Sounds like you have had one hell of a ride in your life and I'm sooo glad you capitalized on a monster buck with your super tag.

I'd love to do some hunting with you in the future if you ever get the chance to hunt Idaho again.

Congrats!!!

Kicker

Congratulations. The form of your buck is my favorite mule deer antler form. I have passed up some great looking bucks over the years that were heavy, wide and shallow looking for a buck just like this one!!!! What I wouldn't give to have an opportunity to take one just like yours. Sounds like you put in the time and effort that qualifies your buck to be a true trophy in every respect of our hunting heritage!! Thanks for sharing the story.

Thanks for your comments. makes me feel better about the buck I did get. One always sees the pictures of BIG bucks taken and feels that their hunt or buck will never measure up, but those bucks are out of reach to 99% of your typical hard working take some time off to hunt, then hurry back to real life man or woman. That's why I feel so blessed to have been given a chance of seeing and hunting the units one dreams about. Now, back to the "honey do," list so I can go to the Clearwater area to hunt, and chase ( really sit and freeze your butt off on a stand) whitetail. snagpoint
9846p1000235.jpg

Awesome Buck!!!! I shot one in unit 45 back in the 80's that was 25 wide, and the backs are 21. He scored 189 gross and 184 and 2/8 net by a B&C scorer. They came out of the same mold. A broken eye guard cost me the elusive 185 mark. Thanks for sharing.

DZ

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom