Idaho Supertag Elk

timoutdoors

LAST EDITED ON Jul-04-14 AT 10:35PM (MST)[p]My brother got lucky this time and pulled an elk supertag. I hunted 54 with mine but we were thinking about checking out different units like 40 or 46. He said he would be happy with a 330+ bull. Any information would be appreciated. Thanks fellas and good luck this year.

Tim

I'm glad he would be happy with a 33 bull. I hope he is willing to eat that tag, because he might before he kills a 330 in Idaho. Hope he has a month plus to hunt and a lot of gas money. Good luck. The curse of the SuperTag can be a tough one!

That is no kidding. I had a guy that worked with me and he had a super elk tag, and a cow tag. He never filled either one. I had a herd that had 30 bulls in it and the biggest was well over 350. He didn't want one unless he found the herd. Ron

don't know where u guys hunt but there are loads of 320 to 340 bulls in Idaho !! had at least 4 bulls over 320 come in last year bow hunting !!

>don't know where u guys hunt
>but there are loads of
>320 to 340 bulls in
>Idaho !! had at least
>4 bulls over 320 come
>in last year bow hunting
>!!

Well post up all your 320+ bulls you have killed over the past many seasons and then offer this guy a ride come hunting season.

Of course I don't think anyone is saying they aren't here, I'm just saying that 330+ bulls are damn hard to kill in this state. I think if you scour through many of the SH tag holder pics on here from over the years you will see that many aren't that big.

Now, I think if you can set aside at least a Month of hunting days, have a couple grand in fuel and food money set aside, and are willing to put in that time, Yes you definetely increase your odds.

If you can get access to some ranches in 44, 45, 54, etc. you can increase those odd's pretty well also.

Personally, I'd really focus on one early hunt, where you can find a few big boys, well away from other prying eyes early and stay on them. The late hunts can't really be scouted, if they typically are migratory, which they usually are in Idaho.

I didn't say I killed them all said I get into them all the time !! your right they are not under every tree but they are there !! your also right with the early hunt strategy if it was me & all the guy wanted was a 320 ish bull Hands down unit 40 is LOADED with them !!! I know several guys that have had these tags & they ran all over the state looking for Monsters but finding & killing are two different things !! most of those lucky tag holders ended up eating tags or killed average bulls !!! Biggest I know of went 369 !!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom