Idaho Unit 11 for sheep

B

bakerboy

I am looking in the record books and it appears that most of them come from this unit. I know they only give 2 tags. The unit doesnt seem that big and I am sure it is really nasty country like most sheep country.
I guess my question is: Is most of this unit private? Or is it one of those units that if you are one of the lucky ones you have a really good shot at killing a good ram, pending you do all of your scounting, etc.

That is the best unit in the lower 48...Middle of Hells Canyon, but if you draw that tag, its a B&C or bust.

I drew the tag when I was 17 in High School and passed up 160 and 170 rams, was holding out for that 190 class animal.

Good Luck drawing, Auction Tag for that area went for over 100K.

Hunt from the river up. Hunt with Jon Barker. Kill a big ram. You'll never draw the tag.

Yeah I know the hells canyon terrain well. I just looked up the odds for that tag. Last year there were 82 applicants for 1st choice and they drew two tags. It said it is a 1.3% chance. That is better than any of the good sheep units in Oregon were everyone can apply for a sheep tag. I like Idaho because you have to pick which species you want to hunt. Did Idaho go to preference points yet or is it still everyone has just a good of shot at drawing the tag as the next guy?
I imagine that there are some pretty good guides for that country. I would never be able to afford one, well maybe if i drew the tag I would find a way.
What a cool animal they are.

No points system in Idaho. You send them the money for the tag (around $1,500 or so NR) and buy a liscense for aroun $150. If you do not draw, you get cash back except for the $150. Got lucky and drew a NR California Bighorn tag in Idaho a few years ago. If you have the money to loan them, go for it. Especially if you will buy a deer tag and hunt later, anyway.

LAST EDITED ON Sep-26-08 AT 02:30PM (MST)[p]There were 74 residents applying for the unit and over 302 NRs. Are you a resident? If not, you odds are horrible.

I am a resident of Idaho. Are there any units that are comparable to Unit 11 or is this a hands down the best unit in Idaho?

LAST EDITED ON Sep-28-08 AT 09:11PM (MST)[p]As far as B&C rams go, unit 11 is the best and probably the easiest (still very physical though) hunt in Idaho. Every couple years a book ram is taken from one of units in the greater Salmon River drainage which can be a challenge to hunt. I heard Barker's client killed a 182-183 ram a couple weeks ago. Unit 11 is definitely not what it used to be with 185-190 rams becoming damn hard to come by. Lamb recruitment has been terrible the last couple years as well so the future is a bit gloomy. I personally would not call it the best unit in the lower 48--that honor right now has to go to some of the Montana units (especially after the pics of a 204 ram I was emailed!) That said, yes I do still apply there.

Unit 11 in my opinion is still the best unit in Idaho, but in terms of best in the lower 48-I would give that nod to Montana. Don't let Glen words "probably the easiest...hunt in Idaho" fool you. He's probably in better shape now than I was in high school when I ran competively in Cross Country. Warren nailed it when he said to hunt with Barker if lucky enough to be drawn. You won't be disappointed!

LAST EDITED ON Oct-01-08 AT 03:01PM (MST)[p]I'd worry about getting the tag first. If everything stays constant from last year, statistically you have a 50% chance of drawing the tag in the next 37 years. Good luck!

I think it was $7800 in 2006 plus a $1250 trophy fee for a 190 plus ram. It sounds like a lot and it is, but well worth it!

Thanks SnR for the complement but as you know and I want to clarify, it can be a very, very physically challenging hunt. I just dont think it compares to the challenge of hunting in the greater Salmon River drainage. A friend of mine spent 9 days in 27 this fall and did not see a sheep let alone a decent ram. I hope some day the draw God's in unit 11 will be go to me!

I hope you draw that tag too someday ramslam! I sure you'll make good on it.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom