Idaho Unit 45 info

antlersinc

I was one of the lucky nonresidents to draw this tag for 2014. I have some good info on the unit but was looking for some more insight from anyone else who knows about this unit.

With the warm temperatures we are currently having, I was wondering about the migration into this unit. Does weather have to trigger it or do they move just due to the time of year? What about the status of the resident population? Are there good bucks and deer numbers just from the resident population? Are there some areas of the unit that I should be more focused on with the warmer conditions? Any help would be appreciated!

With the warmer temps we are having it can somewhat slow the migration down. However the deer know when its time to push through and a lot of them will do it on the first full moon around this time of year. They will travel only at night and still be very nocturnal. These are just the first of the migration though. Most will come down and through at the middle to end of Oct. When some of the general seasons open up to the North it can really get them moving. If we get cold snowy conditions in those units it will really move them out quick.
The resident bucks usually are waiting for these deer to push through and can be gone from summer ground following does down in a matter of hours if they want to. Some do some don't. Some will go back and forth between summer and winter grounds many times during the season especially when the rut kicks in more.
Deer numbers are definitely not like they used to be. Both resident and the deer that migrate in. I blame the damn elk but who really knows why. Don't take that wrong though because you can still find big bucks it just takes a lot of time scouting and looking that most people don't have. You being a non resident have the best chance at a big buck with the rifle tag if you didn't do much scouting.
With the weather being like it is if I were you I would stay up North more at the start of the hunt and hit it as hard as you can as much as you can. You will know when a lot of deer start migrating through. Then you can maybe follow the numbers around. Its not as easy of a hunt as most think it is. Most people shoot 165"-175" bucks because they tire of the daily grind that it can become or they are just happy with that caliber of buck. That's what this hunt is good for and it makes it a fun hunt. Either way 180" plus deer can be found if you put in your time. Good luck and take some pics to show all of us.

If you don't have permission to get to Bennett Mt. this is a tough hunt. Pray for a lot of snow to push the does off of Bennett and during the rut the the bucks will follow the does to the lower elevations. F & G may be a good source to find out how to go about getting permission. Good luck!

If you don't have permission to get to Bennett Mt. this is a tough hunt. Pray for a lot of snow to push the does off of Bennett and during the rut the the bucks will follow the does to the lower elevations. F & G may be a good source to find out how to go about getting permission. Good luck!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom