Idaho unit 74 deer

hatfarms

Hey everyone was curious if anyone on here ever hunted idaho unit 74 for deer or just been in the unit during the rutt and be willing to share some info as far as the buck quality and what someone would expect to see in this unit as well as if it's on public or private any info is very much appreciated thanks

I live in the unit and have hunted it most years since I was 12. Things were starting to look good until the winter of 16-17. The deer took a pretty good hit. Most of the good deer you will see will be on private but you always have a chance to catch a good one on public. Heavy hunting pressure, tough to get away from the crowds. Most of the public ground has quite a few roads so it is tough to get more than a mile or two between roads without bumping into another road. There are a few big deer killed every year but for the most part a deer over 24" wide that goes 160"+ is a pretty high end deer for this unit. No antler size restriction so a ton of small bucks get wacked and not a lot get enough age to get big. 39% of bucks killed were 4 points but I would guess that 3/4 of those were 20"-22" younger deer. Feel free to DM with any specific questions.

That was 2019, how has the 74 unit faired in the last 3 years? Is it coming back to 2016 levels or has it really not got any better @dguthrie2121 I have hunted unit 76 many years, but that unit had the same problem and deer numbers really got hurt after 2016 winter.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom