Idaho Unit 75 Moose

gknutson

LAST EDITED ON May-29-14 AT 08:05AM (MST)[p]It looks like I drew a NR tag for unit 75 bull moose. This will be my first moose hunt. I was hoping to get some input on when I should plan my trip. We have been looking at Oct. 1st.ish. Will this be the best time to catch the rut ?

My 2 hunting buddies are going with me and were planning on hunting a week and a emergency return trip is not out of the question. Were planning on going DIY with a packer being the only possible exception.

Any input on the unit,timing, or hunting Shiras in general are welcomed. Thanks.

Congrats on drawing the tag. Unit 75 is pretty well roaded and has good access, but it can be steep country. They really arent much bigger than a bull elk, just bulkier. If you bone them, they pack out pretty easily. If you come in to scout the area, don't be surprised not to see a lot of moose in the daytime. In the heat of Aug. and early Sept. they get hot in a hurry. Very active the first and last hour of the day, then lay up thru the middle.

I would plan on the peak of the rut being around Sept 25th thru Oct 10th. Try to get some permission on the west side private ground if you can too. Lots of moose move over there in the later part of the season, once the snow flies. There will be a small secondary window of opportunity for cows that didn't get bred around Oct. 20th to Nov 1st.

Good luck

Blank, thanks for the info. It seems like some people suggest late Oct. Early Nov. Since the leaves will be off the trees. Decisions....

That is a good week because the general archery deer and elk seasons are closed, and the rifle deer hunt doesn't begin until Oct 10. Of coarse the deer hunt is over by end of Oct too. As far as the moose rut, I don't know, but have heard Sept 20 through Oct 10 is the time. Where are you coming from?

Most of the moose that I see are usually the last week of October or the first week of November. With leaves of the trees and snow on the ground, you can spot them from miles away.

I'm not one for telling my grandson how big of turd I had to pinch off from having to eat so much meat. I want to give him the trophies that hang from my wall and tell him the unforgettable experience that came with each and every one.

I would agree with the later comments. I had a bull tag last year and the moose started rutting around the 25th of September. I shot mine on the 7th of October. I think I would hunt early just because it's a total riot calling them in. Maybe just plan now for two different trips, you can never hunt enough especially with a moose tag.

Thanks for the input guys. It really helps. How about some pics Pooner ? If you don't want to post PM or email would be awesome. Thanks again

UGA I'm coming from Oklahoma.I saw that you pulled a tag. What unit are you in Res. Or NR ?

Several people have said to hunt late Oct. Does anyone know when the leaves fall ?

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom