Idaho wolf hunting tags now on sale

tagsoup

The Idaho Department of Fish and Game has started selling wolf tags ? $11.50 for resident hunters and $186 for nonresidents, vendor fees included.

Tags are available at license vendors and Fish and Game offices in Idaho. A valid 2011 Idaho hunting license is required to buy a tag.

The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service earlier today published the rule that removed wolves in Idaho from the endangered species list. The rule took effect upon publishing.

Gray wolves are now under state management and considered a big game animal.

The Idaho Fish and Game Commission will set seasons, rules and limits later in the summer, according to the news release.

http://blog.thenewstribune.com/adve...-wolf-hunting-tags-now-on-sale/#ixzz1LYI3czmX

the 11.50 $ kind of burns me..... they should be a like a coyote and shoot them on sight for nothing. the f & g never misses an opertunity to milk idaho hunters out of money . i think 5.00 $ would be a more appropriate amount. but still think it should be zero............

Seriously you can't afford $11.50......

We have a wolf season to look forward to. It costs $$ to run these programs. Fish and Game doesn't have to spend much to study the coyotes. Plus, if you have been paying any attention at all, Wyoming is not having much luck with their Predator designation plan for wolves.

If you think the F&G guys are all about money, take a minute and look up the salaries these guys earn, then I think you won't think that.

LAST EDITED ON May-06-11 AT 09:27AM (MST)[p]i buy about every tag, liscence,several non refundable draw entries, two fishing pole permit ect. and i buy a non resident deer tag every year and have bought a non resident elk tag a time or two. i give more than my share and feel i am entitled to my opinion. the wolf issue is about trying to save our game herds and not lining the f & g pockets. there need not be any wolf studying period. just hell of a lot of shooting.

IDFG is stupid. I am a NR and pay $500/yr to hunt deer there. A few years ago (while wolf hunting was legal in Idaho) I came across a lone wolf in 52A, but didn't have a tag because of the riduculous fees for Non-Residents...that wolf walked away because of it.

I would've paid $11.50 for a tag, or a free tag with $10.00 processing fee or something, but $186.50 for the off-chance of seeing a wolf isn't worth it.

Will they let a NR use a deer tag on a wolf this year like they do with lions and bears?

Grizzly

I do think we should be thankful for this opportunity to have come around twice now given the political climate the hunting community is faced with.

I understand that some people would like to see the tags be complimentary or the restrictions on killing be lifted completely, but you cannot go from "endangered species" to year-round-no-bag-limit over night. Unfortunately they aren't jackrabbits.

Hunt them while you can, as it wont last forever this time either!

go to Canada or Alaska and hunt a wolf for a couple grand or pay 11.50 or under two hundred to hunt them in Idaho damn guys we all have to pay a little to play! O ya if you dont like Idaho game and fish dont hunt here! I hunt Utah Wyoming and Nevada most years out of state fees are part of life. jmho

Any one want to point me in the right direction, on where to kill a wolf. I know for years we all wanted them shot. I would love to do my part. I just have no clue on where to start.

Thanks in advance
Brian

$11.50 is a bargin,,,,Broadfork go to any high ridge on the salmon river drainage and your likely to find wolf sign. They actually can range quite far. The winter is best time to find them.

I'm looking forward to the opportunity to hunt a wolf this year. I have seen tracks while out scouting, but yet to have see a wolf, they are very cagey and with a little hunting pressure, wolves will be a very challenging animal to hunt.

I think the tags should be more also, the resident tags here in Idaho overall are too cheap whereas the nonresident tags are to expensive. I agree that the department is going to need the funding. The Biologists are going to need to do yearly population counts/surveys to set the harvest quota. I would like them to have enough funding to be able to get an accurate and sound population count. This is very important in order to prove wolves are no longer endangered and are possibly growing beyond the carrying capacity to justify the hunt.

I don't think that wolf hunting is the place IDFG should make up their revenue. They are losing far more money by non-resident hunters going elsewhere than they will gain by selling wolf tags. And by pricing NR out of wolf hunting more wolves are living to see another day(see my above post).

IDFG should have everybody with a gun trying to kill wolves until the quota is met. Last wolf season, Idaho didn't even meet the quota with a extended dates. Like I said, IDFG is stupid (at least on this issue).

Grizzly

Again, Wyoming's plan to list the wolf as a predator with shoot on sight rules isn't working that well for them. Do you think the guys running into wolf tracks instead of elk tracks there wish they could BUY a wolf tag this year.

I'm not saying I wouldn't like the tags to be free, but some times you guys think fish and game here lives in a vacuum where they don't have to consider the REAL world. In the real world I can't afford a $5000 custom rifle, can't afford to put in for deer, elk, antelope, moose, and sheep in 10 western states every year, and my boss won't give me all of Oct and Nov every year to hunt SO maybe in the real world Fish and Game may not be able to do everything they want either.

LAST EDITED ON May-09-11 AT 07:13AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON May-09-11 AT 07:10?AM (MST)

i am not buying any tags until at the very earliest the regs come out. an injunction could shut the whole thing down before it even happens. the fish and game has $$$$$ in their eyes. and enough with the low wage f & g employees . i have only gotten a 1 % raise the last two years and we are all having to do more with less so they can as well. i 100 % support the wyoming plan. they are a preditor and " not " a big game species.. if the f &g want more revenue lets kill all the wolves we can and let non-residents shoot them for free as well and build the elk herds back and the revenue will flow like water from a jug. and whats with the wyoming plan isn't working ? you guys think buying a 11.50 $ tag is going to put our plan over the top ?? when i lived in ak. gov. murkowski ordered helicopter shooting of the wolves to help out moose calving. we should do that here . we won't even meet the quoata i gaurentee with " normal " hunting practices. my 2 pennies

I couldn't agree more, they should throw a tag in to NON-REZ for just showing up. Why not give them a little incentive to buy a deer or elk tag!

I think it is not about the plan(s) being feasible or having results that would be beneficial to the big game herds, but rather a political game that must be played. Unfortunately, "right" as we see it is rarely popular anymore.

I agree with the action that Alaska takes with their wolves, but with the political climate here it is, and will likely remain for the foreseeable future, impossible. It is not wild enough in the lower 48 anymore for that type of action to be tolerated by the voting public - even if that is exactly what should be done.

I do agree with you about waiting on a wolf tag purchase - this whole thing may be over before it ever starts!

ok ok ok yes a nonresident can use there deer or elk tag as a bear lion or wolf tag ONLY IF deer or elk and the predator are both in season in that unit. check out upper payette lake to burgdorff plenty running around in the mountains there and there howls will turn your stomach and get covered in goosebumps with it echoeing through the valley. also if you don't want to WASTE your money then poor man hunt, shoot it then run into town buy a tag then run back tag it and skin it. or just shoot it. LMAO

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom