Idiot Vendors

twsnow18

LAST EDITED ON Jul-01-15 AT 11:52AM (MST)[p]My brother went to pick up his controlled hunt tags at Cabelas.

"I need my controlled hunt pronghorn and cow tags please."

The lady asks, "Do you want a deer tag?"

"Na, just the pronghorn and elk."

She still scanned the deer tag, so he called her out on it.
"You almost got away with saving some money!"

He says, "Uhhh no, I almost shot an antelope with a deer tag." Then it got awkward.

F&G really needs to implement some sort of computer class for all employees of F&G vendors. Usually Cabelas is your safest bet since Wal-Mart is comical and at any of the smaller vendors the employees don't even know that they offered that service. Any other horror stories?

They did the same to me when I tried to buy my hunting license. I told them I did not want a fishing and hunting combo, they still tried to charge me for it.

I was at sportsman warehouse in meridian asked for a combo hunting and fishing license, when I got out to my truck looked it was just a hunting license, needless I don't go there much anymore

I started walking behind the counter and watch them put in my info. After a few years of this, i just bring in a six pack and do it myself!

I bought 2 tags in Idaho last year at Walmart in idaho falls. I wanted whietail tags, I got to my spot up i northern Idaho and realized I had 2 any deer tags, the season was closed in my area. I had to drive to Lewiston to exchange them, luckily the ladies at the G&F were understanding.

I can't help but post on this subject.Looks like there are three obvious lessons to be learned on this subject, 1-Don't buy tags at Walmart, 2- Always check your'e licence and tags before leaving the vendor,and 3- What was my part in the mistake!! Seems like it's always easier to put the blame on someone else! "Anything less than Overkill is Under achievement"

I always get my tags and applications submitted at the Sportsman's Warehouse in Idaho Falls. The girls at the counter are extremely knowledgeable in the process, and I have never had a mistake made. They have even asked Unit numbers and hunts to make sure they're right, before submitting.

Seems to me if you don't check your tags and receipt before leaving the store, you're the idiot. Always someone else's fault anymore.

I've had issues at Cabelas. They were trying to charge application fees to buy controlled hunt tags.

I've had no issues at Sportsmen or IDF&G office.

Yep, I check the tags everytime I leave the store, that's the only reason I haven't gotten burned out in the field yet. I've caught them screwing up 3 times now.

One time, no biggie. But multiple times at an OUTDOORS store, a little ridiculous.

Last year I drew an extra tag that I wasn't sure I wanted to pick up due to season timing, well when I went in to sportsmans warehouse in nampa to pick up general deer and elk tags I handed over my deer and elk receipts and got back my general elk tag per my request but rather than general deer I got my extra tag. Then I had to argue with the girl to convince her that the "X" in that hunt number meant that I really could still have a general deer tag as well. I still go there to get tags out of convenience more than anything and have had no issues since. When it comes to trophy species apps I go to IDFG offices.

You guys should try to buy a NR youth fishing license. Every year we get them for my kids so they can fish alone and keep their own fish. It is required to do so. But each time it takes about an hour and they have to call in to fish and game to figure it out. So we can only get one during regular business hours. It don't matter which vendor we use. :)

DZ

LAST EDITED ON Jul-07-15 AT 01:29PM (MST)[p]Cabelas in Sydney Nebraska, "The Worlds Foremost Outfitter". Purchased a non resident hunting license to hunt pheasants. "Is this all I need?" "Yes". Good thing I took a copy of the regs as a habitat stamp is also needed. "You, the WORLDS foremost outfitter, sold me a license to hunt in nebraska, the state you're headquartered in, that doesn't allow me to hunt anything in your state as you didn't sell me a habitat stamp?". "Well....ahh..ya I guess thats true." Fortunately I was able to purchase 1 online before the hunt. Trust no one!

I went to Cabela's in Boise one year to pickup my general deer tag and my extra deer got my two "tags" folded them up and put them away. come Oct. went hunting shot a huge 2 point in the Owyhee's went through a check station where they pulled my tag off went to their truck looked at gave back i went home butchered the deer. December rolls along and I'm getting ready for our extra deer hunt and I can't find my tag. I tear the house apart can't find go to fish and game to get a replacement and they tell me that I didn't buy a general deer tag yet they sell me a duplicate tag for the lost extra tag and send me on my way even after I explained that yes I did have one and I put it on a buck and went through a check station.So I went home looked at my tag in the freezer yep there was the extra doe tag so I called fish and game they where very nice and sold me a general deer tag and had me notch it out for the correct date.Yes it was my fault for assuming that when you ask to buy two tags and you get two pieces of paper back, double check that their both tags and not a receipt.
Lesson learned? A couple years later my buddy and I go back to the same store and apply for some hunts didn't have our hunting license so they used our drivers license, as we where turning away we noticed that there where different names on our applications. Some how they pulled up someone else for the application.
Then last year I bought my hunting license with archery permit then applied for a archery only hunt drew the tag and was then asked if I wanted my archery permit when I picked up my tag.I did look but miss took the archery Ed for the actual permit.

So Double,triple check any permits,License's,tags or whatever you buy. I'm so paranoid now I check my license on F&G website all the time to make sure everything is correct. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

I went to Ridleys in Kuna on the first of this year to get my hunting/fishing combo. They sold me the licenses separate and not in the combo which costs a few extra dollars. Needless to say I got pissed when they couldnt do anything about it and told me to contact fish and game. Then fish and game tells me I have to go into their office to get my refund. Well its not worth the time/fuel to travel that way for the few bucks.

The chit ain't rocket science. If you can work your store's point of sale program than you should be able to handle the F&G software.

All I'm saying is an online 1 hour course going through all of the license/tag scenarios would not kill them. I'll never trust them to do my apps, the online convenience fee is worth the piece of mind to me.

Why don't you guys buy them online? I just cringe at the thought of something like this getting screwed up. Your time is just as important as the money (having to deal with or go back to the store).

I drew a good controlled elk tag this year and purchased it within minutes of the draw results. After beating 2% odds for the tag, there is no way I'm relying on another set of hands making a mistake!

I've found the ladies at Sportsman's Warehouse in Idaho Falls to be pretty knowledgeable. The wife and I went in for a reduced price bear tag for Area 17. The girl at the counter never heard of a reduced bear tag before, but was able to find it in the system with no problem.

The people at the new Cabela's down the block from Sportsman's don't entirely impress me with their knowledge. I'm sure it's not their fault, I don't think corporate really pushes their people to excel at that particular aspect of the job.

When we go hunting in Texas, I just buy the license and tags online as we're in the Texas system already.

I picked up two deer tags in Malad over the weekend, I had my successful card with my units on. I had to walk her through it, but still took 30 mins.

>I picked up two deer tags
>in Malad over the weekend,
>I had my successful card
> with my units on.
> I had to walk
>her through it, but still
>took 30 mins.

Malad.....Malad.....thats a funny word.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom