If you draw, but can't go?

wallhanger

Curious what happens when you draw more tags than you can make the trip to use. Do you just eat that money, or can you turn the tag in and get money back? If it helps, I'm applying in Utah and New Mexico this year for deer. I may be able to make both trips, depending on work schedule, but wondering what happens if I can only take one or the other. By the way, I'm a non-res in both states- not sure if that matters.

Thanks,

WH

LAST EDITED ON Feb-14-07 AT 01:24PM (MST)[p]No refunds or exchanges in New Mexico. Don't know about Utah.

Refunds and Transfers
You can only get a refund for a license after it has been issued under
VERY LIMITED circumstances. See page 4.

...Page 4

The Director of the Department may grant the refund or transfer
of a hunting license or permit if the licensee has died, sustained a severe injury or life-threatening illness, or has been deployed by the United States military prior to the start of the hunt, prohibiting the licensee from hunting.

I would not apply for conflicting tags unless there is a slim chance of drawing either one. You will be preventing someone else who could have drawn that tag from getting to go, so why not do one this year and one the next if they are that easy to draw? It would be a waste, unless of course you donated it as mentioned above, but only if the state allows it.

It's Bush's fault!!!

If I can't make it, it is because I died - Bummer.

Or because I drew a better hunt at the same time - Yippee.

Seriously though, if you apply for tags that have no conflicting dates with other hunts you will have hard time applying for very many hunts, which means less opportunity to draw.

Depends on each person, but I carpet bomb all states, hoping I get one or two a year. In the last 12 years, I have been applying for 25-30 out of state hunts, and have yet to draw a tag that had a conflict with another hunt.

None of the states give much in refunds, unless there is a death in the family. There are some exceptions, such as ID.

Good luck in your draws. Hope you get 'em all!

"Hunt when you can - You're gonna' run out of health before you run out of money!"

I know you can turn your tag back in to Utah...but i get it mixed up....its either you turn it in- no refund, get to keep your bonus points. Or is it get refund and lose points?

In Utah if you turn your tag back you get no refund but you will get your points back.

Thats a problem most of us would love to have. Haven't had that problem since 93 when I ate a Region G tag that conflicted with a rut elk hunt. The choice was easier cause the previous winter had been terrible on G.

I use the states that require you to buy the tag after the draw instead of when you draw for easier draws since if I have to eat their tag, I'm only out the license fee. Think I didn't buy a Ore deer tag once cause I had another, better hunt @ the same time. Idaho works the same way.

Up until last year, Colorado gave you a choice, either a refund or or keep the points. Now its only a refund. Applied for 61 a couple of years ago and had arrangements for a landowner voucher for the same unit if the landowner drew. Planned to turn the tag back in so I could buy the voucher if both came through, then draw with the points the next year. Neither came through.

Wow to have that problem!

I put in for 20 tags a year, for 7 years (plus this year) drawn exactly 1 tag! HORRIBLE luck.

First many tags are 1% sheep tags, or worse odds, so unlikley there. Second some results are out before other apps are due, I know about WY before I apply to most states. If a tag looks likely I plan accordingly and go for dream hunts elsewhere. Also Once odds hit 10% or more I plan hunts to have dates that work well. I have saved vacation from last year, I can head out there for 3 weeks, if I drew some dream tag like sheep I would have a sit down with my boss and take a month off, I could get it. CO you can turn a tag in and I think 1 or 2 other states too, might costs $$$ but you keep points.

Bottom line is after 7 years and 1 tag I do not worry to much.

thanks for the help guys. I'm just putting in for a general hunt in utah so I can spend some time with my buddies I grew up with if we all draw. In New Mexico, I believe you will draw something, it's just a matter of whether or not you want to go to the 'quadrant' you draw in for your fourth choice.

One other question about utah. If I have 3 bonus points, and 3 preference points, and I draw a general tag, do I burn my bonus points as well?

I'm clearly a bit of a rookie in the multiple out of state draw game. Thanks for any information on that, as I did not see it in the Utah booklet.

WH

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom