If you had one lure

eelgrass

Long Time Member
You can only use one lure and you have use it to feed yourself. what's it gonna be?

I would choose a Panther Martin in black and yellow.

Eel

TNT!

C4!

Never went Hungry/Home Empty yet!

We laugh, we cry, we love
Go hard when the going's tough
Push back, come push and shove
Knock us down, we'll get back up again and again
We are Members of the Huntin Crowd!

Silver Kastmaster

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

Don't let Uncle sage BS you!:D

4221mer_3.jpg

Bess, that's the fingerling lure! :)

Eel probably took my first choice for stream fishing.

Others i'd consider:
white crappie jig
small black and silver rapala
rubber worm
wooly bugger
Black Roostertail
little cleo

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

>number two mepps with a gold
>blade,,,,

You my man are very wise. That IS the most lethal lure there is (if you know how to fish it!.

Black Woolly Bugger or a 2" white rubber grub.

Well ya let Bcat have two.

Oh, oh, oh, the Blackhawks just scored!

DC

I forgot about the kastmaster. I was fishing for perch at the mouth of Elk River the other day. On a whim I threw a silver kastmaster into a bunch of old pilings and caught a perch.

Eel

It's written in the good Book that we'll never be asked to take more than we can. Sounds like a good plan, so bring it on!

>You kastmaster boys have my respect.
> I can't catch a
>thing on those anvils.
>
>DC

+1 yet every survival kit/article has a kastmaster in it! All I ever catch with em is lumber and lettuce! We must need kastmaster lessons?

I've done very well with them, Kastmasters, found them best when retrieved just fast enough to get their action working side to side.

Frog Flatfish with twin belly hooks.

Joey

So Joey, you fishing with those with 57.6.1 gear ratio reels then? ;-)

Seriously, your list is pretty comprehensive, sage.

I'm going to send you a favorite from out in the backcountry of Utah to see if it's worthy of mention on future polls.

You might find it will work well for you out in your Cali ponds.

2052jakes.jpg

This little rascal, out of Wyoming, will get'er done around here, in both silver and brass. Give it a "spin".

DC

I would also have to say a gold kastmaster. You can cast it or troll it and catch a variety of fish.

Cancer doesn't discriminate...don't take your good health for granted because it can be gone in a heartbeat. Please go back and read the last line. This time really understand what it says.

>So Joey, you fishing with those
>with 57.6.1 gear ratio reels
>then? ;-)
>
>Seriously, your list is pretty comprehensive,
>sage.
>
>I'm going to send you a
>favorite from out in the
>backcountry of Utah to see
>if it's worthy of mention
>on future polls.
>
>You might find it will work
>well for you out in
>your Cali ponds.
>
>
2052jakes.jpg

>
>This little rascal, out of Wyoming,
>will get'er done around here,
>in both silver and brass.
> Give it a "spin".
>
>
>DC

JUDAS Lumpy!

Don't tell them every Secret in the Book!

That's a 'JAKES SPIN-A-LURE'!

Ya see Uncle sage!

I've said all my Life We need to Invent something!

The Guy that Invented/Built the Spin-A-Lure was a TIN PECKER!

Many years ago!

Bet He Ain't Bending Tin for anything more than Lures today!

Rooster tail hammered black and silver plus a shovel to dig worms after I lose my lure

1+ for the Jakes (hooked a 6.5 lb rainbow below Flaming Gorge one night way past dark with one, by far my favorite)

Worms
They will "LURE them right in.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

This is the Lure that Hooked 440 & many other dipsshhitts:

I can't believe it ever hooked anything!

9586obamalure.jpg

True F'er!

Good to hear from you!

LAST EDITED ON Apr-26-15 AT 12:34PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Apr-26-15 AT 12:32?PM (MST)

#2 Mepps followed is top but its followed by a bucktail Mepps
Silver Castmaster or gold
White Roostertail or most any...
Super Duper
mini jigs
homemadebucktails & spinners
I make my own variations and repairs on salvaged lures too.

Sorry....got carried away.

If a Fly would count as a lure it would be a (Craven) size 18 JUJU Beatis. If the fly dont qualify then a gold super duper, If they still make them. (alot like Bessy's Jakes spin o lure)

Taking 2Lumpys advice, i looked up those Jakes lures, maybe pick up a few. Online, best i could find was 3 for $10. plus shipping. Seems a bit pricy but they all are getting that way.

I bought most all of my lures thru the years off ebay. Sometimes, not always, there were large lots of misc lures, some used, that sold for a small % of what the price tag reads off the shelves. I don't have a Jakes but by God, i have enough Mepps, super dupers, roostertails, panther martins, rapalas, rebels,..and many others, that even with bad casting, they'd last me several lifetimes.

When i was a crazy to fish for anything kid, i stared and figured long and hard, just what i could buy to add to my tackle box with the dollar that i had in my pockets. Often, a lure was desired but cost too much and i did without. Some say that it's a obsession but more than likely, i got the bases pretty well covered. :)

Joey

I'll tell you how good these SPIN-A-LURES are!

I Hooked a Beaver with one of them once!

Ya!

Lost My Damn Luuuuure!:D

Did you land that Beaver Bess?

I'm listening to the Giants-Dodgers game. F them Dodgers!
4929giants_lure.jpg

Joey

Don't be buy any Jakes just yet Sage, there's a silver and a gold on there way, unless you've changed your Post Office box number, you should be seeing them in a day or two.

DC

2Lumpy, that would be very nice of you, Thanks! Larrbo and i are talking about some trolling on Lake Almanor Sat. this coming weekend. Might just get a chance to see how they do. :)

In the last 15 years or so, i've probably caught 20-30 browns over 3 pounds on these cheap little jigs. Amazing fish catchers fishing slow and deep over or near underwater springs in the fall.
9881jig.jpg

Joey

How often does the mule train haul mail out of Sacramento sage?

When I said a few days I was thinking of "back country days". Hell, man, it takes better than a week to get things from where I'm at up to Salt Lake!

Put a swivel on'em sage! And, make Larrdo takes a digital camera/phone so we can show off the "best lure", used by "the Grand Master", in the jaw of a "Almanor Monster".

Course, anything BCat recommends is a joke, so don't set your expectations too high just yet. The proof's in the pudd'en. :7

DC

JimmyA, I like your choice of saltwater lure. I discovered Big Hammers about two years ago while kayak fishing. Deadly and the bigger the hammer, the bigger the fish. I have a few 9".

Eel

It's written in the good Book that we'll never be asked to take more than we can. Sounds like a good plan, so bring it on!

2Lumpy, Larrdo? lol, he's easy going as there is but i don't know if he'd like being referred to as Larrdo. Bases covered in the photo capabilities.

That mail, just don't ever know for sure. Small mountain town here, we all have to go to the Post Office and check our Boxes. I would imagine though, that something should arrive from Utah by Fri.

Wouldn't it be something if i finally was able to put a legit 10 pounder in the boat with one of them lures. I've had them on, fought them for 15 minutes or so and got the best out of them, seen them on my line up close plain as day, but the several that i have managed to get hooked, have all managed to get away. Not funny at the time but that's how it has been. Good day to you!

One of my fishing buds loves these power bait worms. Says that they catch fish like nothing else. Couldn't prove t by me as i've not tried them but i have faith in my friends words.
3743worms.jpg

Joey

Had a great day on Almanor with Larrbo. We got out on the lake by 7AM, flat calm, not cold, and one heck of a midge hatch going on, big trout taking naturals like pigs right up to the boats edge.

Heck of a day to have the fly rods back home.

Even though we saw tons of fish, getting them to bite was a different story. We fished until the SF Giants game and each managed one solitary fish apeace... Well worth the effort!

Larrbo got a 18-19 rainbow on a copper and red Speedy Shiner and i got this nice dinner sized smallmouth on a black and gold jointed Rapala. I about threw the box at them...
426920150502_105605_resized.jpg

2Lumpy, i checked the mail boxes Friday afternoon. Sorry to say, no lures in there. There will be a next time...

Joey

So You caught your Dinner Huh Uncle Sage?

So?

Did the Bass Boys transplant the Bass in to the Trout Lake or what?

They've ruined several Trout Fisheries around here with their BS!

Yeah Bess, not a good shot of him but that fish would go a couple pounds easy enough, make a fine meal. In our lake, there is plenty of habitat for both specie to coexist.

There was a bass tourney going on on the lake today and there will be several others this spring. They mostly fish up in the shallower and more stumpy end. I've had some great days catching smallies, like 3 to 5 pounders, one fish after the other, but i usually fish for trout though the occasional smallie is welcome in my creel anytime. :)

and how about them Giants? :)

Joey

Dang it sage, I was worried about that mail carrier. You just never know what will take a Jake's.

Check your PM.

Nice small mouth, go ahead and tell BC how great those nasty bass taste. My cat won't eat trout! :)

DC

Eel I wouldn't settle for just one lure. Good grief if you can only afford one lure you shouldn't have retired.

2311idiot.jpg

LAST EDITED ON May-03-15 AT 07:52AM (MST)[p]>
>
>Eel I wouldn't settle for just
>one lure. Good grief if
>you can only afford one
>lure you shouldn't have retired.
>
>
>
>
2311idiot.jpg

I forgot to factor in my monthly utility bill.:( The wife is getting used to cooking on the wood stove though.

Eel

My favorite lure is a TS Bugger that I have caught a lot of big fish in Lake Almanor and other lakes.

287tsbugger.jpg

A couple guys from our kayak "club" made it to Almanor a couple weeks ago (4-25) fishing for Chinook. They wouldn't say what lure they used though.

5155chinook.jpg

4148chinook2.jpg

Most of the salmon i've caught on Almanor were on anchovie tails but these work well at times too, especially when you can drop them down over schooling fish.

4388tube.jpg

I hope Larrbo don't see that Pic :) I'm the one who picked out where we fished on Sat...

Joey

Good investigative work 2Lumpy. Almanor is a pretty special place, not to mention one of the most scenic areas of California.

Eel

For 7 mile and UM I'll take a captain or renegade.
Up north a greenish scud.

"The State of Utah has not given BGF anything.
They have invested in BGF to protect their
interests."
Birdman 4/15/15

I value everyone's opinion but what I'd really like to know is HunterHarry's choice. Where is he?

Guess what showed in my Po Box? A pair of these Jake's, a gift from 2Lumpy!

72202052jakes.jpg

They look good(from a non fishes point of view) a silver and a gold, i can't wait to get out and try them. Looks like they are made to be used with a swivel snap?

Thank You 2Lumpy!!!

Joey

Hey Uncle Sage!

Ya!

Definitely gonna need a Swivel!

The Luuuuuurrrrrrrreeeeeeeee!

Has quite a bit of Action to it & without a Swivel you're gonna cut your line in time!

My pleasure Sage!

Those maybe the "best traveled" Jakes in the country. ;-)

Yep, fish them with a swivel. And, like your Kastmasters, keep them moving fast enough to get a good wobble going.

We cast them and/or troll them, they work well in Southern Utah. Hope they appeal to what's in your "neck of the woods".

My bud, with a "Mountain Char", by way of a gold Jakes.
7844jakesgold.jpg

DC

2Lumpy - I am with you 100% - Joey - we ain't steering you wrong. No matter what I am fishing, I always have a Jake's in my box. They work on bass here in Texas!

HOOK 'EM!

Since I am frequently asked about my religion on this site and others, I have created a profile that explains my beliefs. If you are interested in finding out more about my faith, please visit the link below:

http://mormon.org/me/6RNQ/

>So Joey, you fishing with those
>with 57.6.1 gear ratio reels
>then? ;-)
>
>Seriously, your list is pretty comprehensive,
>sage.
>
>I'm going to send you a
>favorite from out in the
>backcountry of Utah to see
>if it's worthy of mention
>on future polls.
>
>You might find it will work
>well for you out in
>your Cali ponds.
>
>
2052jakes.jpg

>
>This little rascal, out of Wyoming,
>will get'er done around here,
>in both silver and brass.
> Give it a "spin".
>
>
>DC

That lure brings back memories of over 30 years ago; backside of yellowstone lake, only lure that would work and yes it did work.

>>So Joey, you fishing with those
>>with 57.6.1 gear ratio reels
>>then? ;-)
>>
>>Seriously, your list is pretty comprehensive,
>>sage.
>>
>>I'm going to send you a
>>favorite from out in the
>>backcountry of Utah to see
>>if it's worthy of mention
>>on future polls.
>>
>>You might find it will work
>>well for you out in
>>your Cali ponds.
>>
>>
2052jakes.jpg

>>
>>This little rascal, out of Wyoming,
>>will get'er done around here,
>>in both silver and brass.
>> Give it a "spin".
>>
>>
>>DC
>
>That lure brings back memories of
>over 30 years ago; backside
>of yellowstone lake, only lure
>that would work and yes
>it did work.

They Still Work!

Damn it!:D

I think I'll take a couple to Venice, Louisiana, next month, see if the sea trout or the red fish are interested in a Jakes..

DC

2Lumpy, that's a Brook Trout, No? I know that Brookies are a char but somev say that there are no stupid questions so there it be.

If that is a brookie, looks to be about the same as my best ever. I caught a 17"er on the little creek that flows west out of Secret Pass, Rubies. We had a dandy 110,000. acre ranch right there on both sides of the pass to ourselves back in the late 70's to mid 80's. The brookies and the muleys ran on the fair to big side. lol I'd give a lot to have that access again!

Caught that brookie on a green frog fly-rod flatfish but they were biting everything i threw at them.

Joey

TARD CHAR/Brook = Same!

Yeah Sage, it's brookie. Don't believe they were running quite 17", maybe 15". We caught'em for about an hour, one after another. They were like oreo cookies, all the same size, all the same color.

Head back into that little emerald paradise on Tuesday morning, if we can "cross the creek" in this high water business around here right now.

Hope they've grown and inch or two over the last year.

I love these little mountain lakes, this time of year. Like a new born hereford calf, every spring, pretty as a picture and fresh as a daisy.

Wish I could stand to eat trout, love to catch'em but for some reason, as I've "matured" I've acquired an extreme dislike for their taste. Brookies are almost tolerable but I can't bring myself put one on a plate anymore. Still like the bass, halibat, cod, "white" meat fish but all the trout go back in the water.

Roy, I've not used a Jakes for bass. I need to give it that a try. I wish there were more bass "type" waters in our part of the world, but I guess it's hard to have it all in one place. :) Good ahead BCat, I know you live in the Garden, but some of us are unworthy!!!!! :7

I'm headed through Texas, for Louisiana in a couple of weeks, my son has invited me to go do a red fish, sea trout, flounder, etc. trip with him and my grandson. I do believe I'll take a few Jakes down with us, just to see if those species take an interest.

DC

>I guess there's no need to
>over think the whole deal.:)
>
>
>
>
>
>
>

A Real PISSCUTTER Luuuuuuure there!

Might keep you alive though!

larrbo, that blue one works well over here on the coast. :)

Eel

One Lure to feed myself? Wow we really let the wolves get
out of hand if we have to eat fish....
The first post, the Panther Marten works the best
on my stretch of Tomichi Creek.., But if I'm feeding my self it will be with a gill net.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom