illegal disc rifles

deadI

Very Active Member
I recently herd a rumor that somewhere they are pushing to make the knew disc rifles illegal in some states, has anyone else herd anything about this or know why I am curious.

DeadI

deadI: This is old news. The stink stirred up about 2 years ago and has since been decided. The disc rifles are legal to shoot anywhere that an inline rifle is allowed.

bluelk
I know that it is legale to use them anywhere that an inline is used, however I am just wondering if there is still any talk of trying to ban them. From your post it sounds as though it is done and over wich is good.
If any one else has any info please let me know.
deadi

Well, a few states are still tossing the idea of banning them, or allowing the use of them only during high power rifle hunts. If anything is settled, it'll be on a state by state basis as is everything else. It's doubtful that any state agency has a problem with them, but when other hunters (especially high power rifle hunters) cry about them loud enough, the state agencies have to act upon it. In this state, they talked about it and dropped it temporarily. I consider myself a "hunter". Not a rifle hunter, not a "muzzleloader hunter", etc.... just a hunter. Many hunters like to put themselves into catagories. I feel that that is a mistake. We all have to pull together, as one. We have enough trouble with non-hunters without argueing amungst ourselves.

i know colarodo made them illegal becouse i am going on a colorado hunt and i looked it up

In my state you can use any inline you want, you just cant use a 209 primer.

marlin3030: Colorado must have made that change very, very recently because the 2000 reg's that I am looking at don't ban them.

Page 5, of the 2002 Colorado regs. states that "shotshell primers are legal".

Hope this clears up a little confusion.

Shash

I looked it up on internet. It said that no open breech or shot shell primers can be used. It also said that u can not use sabots.

Please tell me what page you are looking at in the regs. The set I printed out on the 19th includes a portion "new for 2002" and on page five says "shot shell primers ARE legal". It is under the portion titled "legal hunting methods" section 3h. Please take a look and let me know if my regs from the web site are incorect. I would be most anxious to remedy the situation. Section 3m is the part about sabots, and you are correct, they are prohibited.

i could be wrong about the primers but it does say that no open breecch muzzle loaders can be used. It also says no powder pelets can be used u have to use regular black powder.

Marlin3030: I believe you are mistaken in your interpretation of the Colorado reg's. You can use and inline and you can use the 209 primers whether they are attached directly to the nipple or used in a disc apparatus.

I think what Marlin3030, is talking about is the breech, he may think this is the part of the primers. This is talking about loading from the breech, I think this is where he may be confused. I think this says it may not be loaded from the breech.

Craig: Technically yes, but from what I have seen with the modified Knight the primer is surrounded with plastic, so some states might have a hard time interpreting that it is open to the weather. I just can't figure out why Knight keeps limiting their market more and more.

Prism,

Are you sure that you can't use them in Nevada? The Knight brochure says they are not legal in Nevada but the Knight rep at the RMEF show in Reno says that is incorrect and that they are legal in Nevada. Seems to me I checked it out myself after the show and concurred with his interpretation. Are they changing the regulation in 2002?

Also, I know that in Idaho it is illegal unless used with a #11 percussion cap. Not legal in Oregon, Washington, as well as far as the western states go.

Marlin3030,
Got me currious, my daughter and I are planing to hunt in Colorado this year W/ such.
I looked up 2002 regs.
Only pelletized power, smokeless power, sabots & scopes are prohibited, and you must use 50 cal. or larger.
See page 5 umder muzzleloading rifles.
Have a good hunt this year and be safe.

I to put in for the draw .
Either you looked up the wrong years info. or you just misread page 5. column 2 line h. under muszz. it states shotshell primers are legal.
Good luck this year.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom