I'm 36 years old, start applying in Nevada or not?

flyingbrass

I apply in NM, MT, CO, UT, AZ and WY for big game. Should I start in Nevada or not? I'm self employed so I got the time but I haven't started in NV since you can't apply as a party on elk. That might be dumb but that is my reason up until now. I know you can apply together for deer. I buy a point for sheep in WY and that is probably money wasted so I thought about stopping that next year and starting NV now. What's the verdict? I live in Arkansas so it is also a real long drive.
flyingbrass
cold dead hands

The thing about Nevada's draw is you can draw anytime there isnt a set amount of tags that go to the people with the most points. I think in 07 a NR drew the only 161-164E bull elk tag with no points. And last year two people drew 111-115 221-222E and Late tags with no pionts. So I think if you have the money and want to hunt then I think it is worth it. Another thing is you can put in for everything. If you need any help let me know and I'll help you out. Ryan

Absolutely apply. It is well worth it to start. I am 41 and have hunted Nevada twice for deer. I started applying when I was 36 also. I know Arkansas is a long way to go but put in for the best hunts. You always have a chance with whatever points you have. Nevada does hold some great bucks and elk also.

So apply.

Happy hunting

Guaranteed tags for non-residents? What am I missing here?

Nevada isn't a true bonus point system, either. Yes, you get a point when you buy a license and don't draw first choice but tags don't always go to the folks with the most points. A true bonus point system gives tags to the people with the most points. At least that's what I call a true bonus/preference point system.

Anyway...absolutely apply in Nevada...you never know what can happen. Just before I moved here I applied for 1 of 2 NR antelope tags in 131,145,163,164 and drew it...

Raghorn Hunting Services
www.raghornhuntingservices.com
[email protected]

I would and i did.I have been applying in CO,WY,NM,UT,CA and AZ for years now.With the cost of my hunting trips and apps. in those states i could not justify buying the N.R. license every year and not hunting there.I did hunt Nevada 2 years in a row in the 80's on my first "out of state" hunts.Anyways i"m 42 years old and started applying this year.Not expecting alot since i"m starting so late a few Archery deer tags would be nice though.I picked Arizona over Nevada 11 years ago to "throw away license fee's " ( could not afford both) i think i made a mistake.I would have been better off with the Nevada draw oh well better late then never.

It is a must apply for state if your budget permits it. The license and application fees do add up to a hefty sum with so many species and the option of PIW draws. I applied for Nevada for about 3 years before I decided to move here.

Nevada is a true bonus point system, not a preference point system. And yes, non-residents are guaranteed a set amount of tags. NV isn't like some states that say non-residents can draw "up to" or "no more than" say 10 or 20%, which in reality also means non-residents may draw ZERO if all the tags get drawn by residents first. If the Department of Wildlife sets 5 non-resident tags for a unit, 5 NR tags are drawn.

If you can afford the yearly license, I recommend NV.

>Guaranteed tags for non-residents? What am
>I missing here?
>
>Nevada isn't a true bonus point
>system, either. Yes, you get
>a point when you buy
>a license and don't draw
>first choice but tags don't
>always go to the folks
>with the most points. A
>true bonus point system gives
>tags to the people with
>the most points. At least
>that's what I call a
>true bonus/preference point system.
>
>Anyway...absolutely apply in Nevada...you never know
>what can happen. Just before
>I moved here I applied
>for 1 of 2 NR
>antelope tags in 131,145,163,164 and
>drew it...
>
>Raghorn Hunting Services
>www.raghornhuntingservices.com
>[email protected]

Raghorn,

You describe a "preference" point system...Nevada is a true "bonus" point system.

great post/pic, thanks for sharing

JB
497fc2397b939f19.jpg

For elk & deer it will be about $200 a year to apply. Expect a tag about every 5 years or so depending on where you apply.

If you don't mind the cost put in, if not stick with Colorado and Idaho where you can put in for the draw or hunt over the counter every year.

For $1000 you can buy a landowner tag in Colorado...

LAST EDITED ON Apr-04-09 AT 07:17PM (MST)[p]Thanks, David.

Do me a favor though...take a look at the way Nevada handles bonus points and then look at, say, Montana. Two very different approaches. I would argue that Montana is more of a "true bonus point system" than Nevada is. But that would be my opinion, wouldn't it?

Raghorn Hunting Services
www.raghornhuntingservices.com
[email protected]

I guess you can can call it what ever you want.In a "preference point" system,Colorado,the guy with the most points wins.In a "modyfied preference point" system,Utah,some tags are reserved for the guys with the most points & some tags everyone has a chance at.In a "bonus points" system,Nevada,everyone has a chance at the SAME tag.Call it anything that makes you feel better!
David

Also apologize!Flyingbrass,I think Nevada has the best point system in the West,gives a fair number of tags to non-residents,have alot of species to apply for & have some real quality animals.If I could only apply in ONE state,it would be Nevada.Be ready to go hunting because it's possible to draw your 1rst year if you don't apply for just points!
Good luck,David
PS Sorry RH

Nevada Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Big Bucks & Bulls Timberline Outfitters Guide Service

Customized and high quality eastern Nevada trophy hunts for mule deer, elk and antelope.

Western Wildlife Adventures

We offer some excellent mule deer and elk hunts in northeast Nevada.

Currant Creek Outfitters

Nevada, big bucks and big bulls! We hunt for quality not quantity.

Nevada Outfitters & Guides Association

Find guides and outfitters for mule deer, elk, sheep, chuckar, fishing, & more!

SilverGrand Outfitters

Successfully guiding in Nevada for many years. Mule deer, elk, antelope and bighorn sheep hunts.

Hidden Lake Outfitters

Specializing in trophy mule deer hunts along with elk, mountain goat, antelope and mountain lion.

G&J Outdoors

Full time outfitter with 20+ years hunting mule deer, sheep, elk, antelope, lion and chukar.

Mountain Man Outfitters

Offering world class mule deer hunts in some of the most productive units in Nevada.

Nevada High Desert Outfitters

Rocky mountain goats, desert, rocky and california bighorn, mule deer, antelope and elk hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

If you want an unguided hunt but can't draw your tags, you need to call us.

White River Guide Service

50 years of guiding experience! Mule deer, elk, sheep and cougar.

Back
Top Bottom