Info from Game Biologist

NebrCatMan

Hey a buddy and I are planning a unit 62 OTC bow hunt. I have been trying to get a hold of the big game biologist out of the Montrose office and finding out just how hard he is to catch. I know this is their busy time, and I have left my phone number on his voice mail several times. Now I have his e-mail address and will try that. Was wondering what others think of talking to the big game biologist, do they offer a wealth of knowledge and know everything about their area? Is it worth the hassle to contact them? We are from Nebraska and researching the hunt and looking into every lead. Are there others who are in area 62 everyday who could offer a couple of "flatlanders" some advice. Talked to a C.O. a couple times and he was very helpful. This is not my first trip to the rockies but I have learned you can never learn enough about an area you want to hunt when it's not your back yard!

They are generally helpful. They always know the areas and have a pretty good feel for where critters are. But you have to remember that they talk with lots of people every year, so you are not getting any secrets. Use the info to get started, but remember that there will be other people that have the very same information. But I have alwys found it helpful to visit with all DOW folks.

I have had mixed results to talking to biologists. Some have been helpful and others have not. Some have never even returned my call which really frustrates me. I also think that many of them have a canned answer along with locations that they give to 90% of the people that contact them.

I would recommend having some specific questions about pressure, quality, quantity, timing, areas, access, etc. versus general questions that allow the answers to be the same that the last 20 guys that called heard.

You might want to call the district wildlife manager versus the biologist. In Colorado these are the folks that are in the field a lot and have smaller territories than a biologist.

I contacted a Colo biologist this year via email and the information provided was helpful. If only a small percentage of hunters call and leave messages for a biologist, the task of replying to everyone or taking evey call could be very time consuming. I found some of the biologist's reports and studies posted on-line along with an email address. I sent this biologist an email, apologizing for the impersonal approach, and requested some information. The response was timely, positive, and helpful for looking at maps and planning. At least with an email a biologist can respond when time avails itself rather than when the phone rings.

We'll see how it all works out in October.....

unit 62 is a huge unit.do you have a particular place in mind? It has sage brush flats on the north end to steeper spruse canyons on the south.We had some good rains,lots of feed should be a great horn year.

Hey thanks all. I really appreciate you for taking the time to respond with some info and comments. We are kinda planning on hunting the NW part of 62. West of and maybe including some of the Dominguez Canyon Wilderness study area. Aroud Keith, Red,and Rose Creek and their headwaters. I have a BLM map and a Uncompahge National forrest map and doesn't show a lot of private land in that area. At least that"s the plan now. Gotta start somewhere. Any body think this is a good choice? Something Better??? Are there better maps I should get like a USGS or a is their a map put together by a private company? Can we get to where there is water to make camp by or is water hard to get to only in canyon bottoms? And does any body know of a meat locker that will quick freeze de-boned meat? I am sure we probably can buy dry ice somewhere around there, can't we. Lotta questions. If ya ever need info on SE NEBR. just ask. Thanks again!!!!!

Very familiar with that country.There are a few springs where you can get water for animals,not convienent for camp.Black Point and Dominguez Ridge,have alot of elk now I seen 60+ cows with calves last week.all that changes with the first rifle shot .Very heavy hunt preasure.odds are fair that you could get a nice bull during bow season.Scouting for good holes is encouraged.

The only time I have contacted one, the Montrose guy about unit 65!! Lol, he was not very helpful at all. It seemed like he didn't know much at all about the area/situation I was talking about.

I have tried the same thing with brad in Montrose office with no luck.I am going to unit 62 also for first time for muzzy hunt. I under stand you can get drinking water from campgrounds along Divide road. I will be in the south end, hunting water down in the draws.Good Luck, Chilly

Sometimes there is water in the campgrounds, if they have it hooked up. Most of the good springs are on private property. I am a rancher on this unit, please contact me if you would like more info.

I contacted the district wildlife manager out of the Montrose office. His name was ? Garret ?. He returned my call almost imediatly and was really polite and very helpful. Is a district wildelife manager the same thing as a game warden who patrols in the feild? Slowly I am getting some valueable info and the peices all starting to fall in place. THANKS TO ALL WHO RESPONDED!!!!!!!!!!! And to Dominguez a special thanks and I will be e-mailing or sending a PM soon. I plan on putting some miles between our base camp and whereever we make camp for the nite. I am not a spring chicken any more but man do I love to camp and see new areas!!!!!!!! Thanks a lot again.

About 1/3 are almost ueless, 1/3 ok, 1/3 good help IMO.

Might as well try but there have been times when I was never able to contact them.

Remember when you do finally talk with someone the FIRST thing to say is "Do you have time to talk?"

I have found the NM GW's are very helpful, can't say anything about Co GW's.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

Sometimes they are helpful, but their job is different than that of a hunting guide. I have a few friends that are biologists and they say they get overrun with idiots calling them that draw tags for units they know nothing about and have never been to. The hunters want the biologist to tell them everying (including where they would go if they had the tag), and them to hold their hand and usually have totally unrealistic expectations. My one bio friend told me that if one more guy who has never been to the unit calls and asks to "pick his brain" he is going to loose it.

I think a guy is better off doing some reasearch elsewhere (i.e. online, other hunters, etc.). Lots of biologist for LE and OIL hunts have never actually hunted the species or area you are asking them about. They probably spend most of the actual hunt running around in their truck dealing with problems, not out in the field hiking, glassing, hunting. In general, I think talking to someone that has actually hunted the unit before is way more helpful than talking to a bio.

I have had better luck just talking to the person tha picks up the phone at the office than actually talking to the biologist. I also call with 3 or 4 specific mountains/ drainages in mind and play more of a comparison game between my ideas rather than asking "where should I go in the unit?".

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom