Is it the end?

sremim

Very Active Member
Been married almost 9 years. Have known my wife since I was 5. She has recently "opened" her eyes to the way she's been treated by everyone around her and now says she needs time to figure herself out. She has recently been to a counseler and I believe this person is telling her to start a new life. She is acting weird, not telling me things, and says she has to figure herself out before we can work on us. She even opened a new checking account in her name.....I've told her we can work things out but she wont talk to me. She'll only talk to her counseler and a "friend."

Here's what I'm worried about. I got laid off last April and haven't worked since because I've been working on a Master's and helping with her business. We started a new business together last January, and of course we aren't making money, can't even pay ourselves. We have a kid who's 19 months old.

Looking for advice from those who have been in similar situations.

That 5-10 year time frame is called the "seven-year itch" for a reason. The newness has all worn off, you've ridden the coattails of romance as far as they'll go, and now you're down to the true roots of the relationship. Now's the time when a lot of couples have to rebuild from the ground up and reinvest in the next stage of the relationship. In other words, now's when the real work begins. Some people have the gumption and backbone to truly make it a priority and improve it, some don't. Some think it's just easier to move on to something newer (seemingly greener grass that never really is, but it takes a couple years for that person to realize they screwed up). Hope your wife believes in reinvesting and building what has already been built. You both deserve that chance, and you both vowed to do it. But both of you aside, your kids needs it way more... Good luck.

Sucks sorry to hear this, try finding some common goals, or cheap vacation or alone time. Work on what you have in common and try to build and not tear down. Think of whats best for your kid etc. I'm no expert but been down that road before. See if you can both get some help together.

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but it sounds like she has already made up hear mind weather she knows it or not....She just has'nt figured out how to say it. I've been divorced and remarried and my take on it is that relationships should'nt be that hard. If it's supposed to work it will, if not build a bridge and get over it. Two happy parents are better than two miserable ones....Good luck.

Just from past experience, it takes two. If only one wants things to work, that person will be the only one putting in the effort and work. Pretty soon that person will be doing all the work, because the other person's thoughts, feelings and desires are elsewhere. If she says she has a "friend" to talk to, my bet would be, she has already moved on. Others probably know, but you will be one of the last ones to find out. Tell tale signs; Has she lost weight? Does she find reasons to run take care of something? Is she buying more new clothes than usual? If she has a cell phone, you might check the history on it. If I'm wrong, I apologize, but when a woman says she just needs some time to work things out, she is usually working things out with someone else. Good Luck. If things don't work out, and kids are involved it will make for a long problematic future, dealing with visitation, continued problems involving finances,etc.

The friend part is a very bad sign. I have seen this time and again. The "friend" understands her, listens to her, blah, blah...

If you even suspect the end is coming, get a good lawyer immediately, no matter how much she tells you that you can work things out amicably. It will not happen, and you will lose. Best of luck.

ABSOLUTELY talk to a lawyer! I learned the hard way and am still paying for it. No kids, but I got stuck with 6 years alimony and she got a house I paid for. If it looks like it's headed downhill, draw first blood (court filing) so you're in the driver's seat. How I wish I would have done that!

I wish idahonative were right, but it sure looks like Hardway is.

Get a lawyer. Stay on the highroad and do everything up front...but, get a lawyer.

I'm sorry to hear of this, BTDT.

Divorces suck... Mine is almost done, hopefully... It doesn't look good though dude. If you want it to work, hope for the best but prepare for the worst...get a hold of me is you need to talk....

4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

I had a very similar experience with my first wife. She went to a counselor and we stopped talking. He told her that all the things in her life, like her husband and her job were anchors holding her back. In the end I filled for divorce. We went 9 months without talking or seeing each other. She had a new friend who was also married and "feeling the same way". When my friends started telling me she was dating other guys I filled for divorce. In the end the guy was simply chasing tail. He never left his wife just used her for a distraction. It is really sad. It has been almost ten years. I am re married and have a kid. She calls me about every three months begging me to leave my new wife. She keeps telling me she made a huge mistake. I think I was the person that made the mistake of over being with her. It sucks and I wish you the best.

That really sucks for you and everyone involved, sorry to hear that.
Lots of good advice given, and lots of assumptions going on with all of us. You and her are the only two that really knows what is going on... You have to make a choice.

Recently divorced, my two recomendations are to just keep doing what is right and if it comes down to the divorce then get a GOOD lawyer (cheaper in the long run).

We were going to do it without lawyers, she snuck in a lawyer at the last minute to try and screw me. Worked against her, my lawyer was better and she ended up with a way worse deal than if she had stuck to what I agreed to her with.

Forgot, third piece. Your KID is and always will be number 1.

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

Let me guess, you drive a 1 ton with oak trees for smoke stacks, 12" lift kit and 40" tires to pull a single place lawn mower trailer?

Dude, be strong. Time to reflect on you. Its not the end of the world, but feels like it now, it will get better. You have a child in your life that is the major concern and needs their father. In the same boat as you, right now! Get the lawyer NOW, be up front.

Yea my wife pulled the thing after 15 years of being married! It sucks! I am into to my divorce 6 months and I am pretty sure she wants it to drag out for years! The best part is I got a beautiful girlfriend now that is making me more happy than I have been in a very long time! Get your self a very good lawyer like my wifes! He's a plick!

Decisions decisions.....whats the best way to find the best lawyer? other than randomly selecting from the yellow pages.

Go to the courts where you file and ask them with lawyer is the biggest plick and you found him! If you where in Utah! I would use my wifes! He is the biggest bottom feeding blood sucker I have ever met!

Get ahold of AbiggerFishToFry's EX & Quick!:D:D:D

The Dew I had for Breakfast wasn't Bad so I had one more for Dessert!:D

Dude it's toast. I think you know it's the case.
What she is saying is chick speak for;

"I wanna play the field, but I still like the comfort of having you around."

Gotta be tough without a job & a young one, but scrape what self-respect you can find make a stand & call BS to the whole charade.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-20-13 AT 09:17PM (MST)[p]Been there. It hurts. I bet 440's money she's hooked up with someone else. I wouldn't waste time. I'd get a good lawyer, mean female if I could. As your child gets older don't ever argue, talk trash or act in any way that would taint your child's opinion of mom. Always take the high road, take the blame, whatever it takes to promote a positive image of your ex. I've been married for 25 years this go around, have three great kids and never look back. I was fortunate that I did not have children with the ex. During my career I witnessed many nasty divorces, never good especially for the kids. As I said take the high road.
Best wishes, you and your family are in my prayers.

Norkal

"One can take my life but not my faith or my
confidence. I fear none and respect all."

Hopefully it's not to late. You need to start dating her again. Bring her flowers, take her out to dinner or for a drive. What did you do before you got married. Start doing those things again. Treat her like a queen. Watch the movie Fireproof staring Kurt Cameron. Well worth the effort. I hope it works out.

You and only you can answer what to do. Been there, done that and you will know when you are suppossed to act, one way or the other. It is tough, but again only you know if it is worth the work. Take care of yourself and your kid, in the end things seem to work out for the better, just doesn't seem that way now.

PM me if you need to talk,

Rich

Making assumptions from some of the possible STUPID advice on her
is nuts. Only you and your wife should figure it out. For someone
to make a claim that she is doing this or that is just plain dumb.

I'm not saying good or bad is happening with your wife. I would suggest
trying to convince her to have a serious adult discussion. I would also spend
time alone with her and try to convince her to let the two of you work it out.

I really hope you two can work it out. I'd say after 9 years its worth the effort.

I surely wish you the best

....if there are "5" best divorce lawyers in your town...spend the money to see them all for a consultation.....then she can't hire them....

When you go swimming in the ocean, it is very cold, and it makes my willy small

>....if there are "5" best divorce
>lawyers in your town...spend the
>money to see them all
>for a consultation.....then she can't
>hire them....
>

Now THAT'S some good advice!

WHOAH!! Tap the divorce breaks a bit pardner!

First, I understand how difficult this is for you, believe me, I do. I understand every single inch of your suffering - ten times over. But, right now, you are confused, hurt, lonely, and upset. You need to step back a little and evaluate the situation from a different perspective before you go jumping straight to divorce. It would probably be an emotional decision and it really should be your last resort (even the courts will tell you that). I know you are saying she won't talk right now, but it looks like there are a lot of factors that are playing into that. The job, the barely getting by, the rigors of grad school (yes - I did it too - M.A. and Ph.D. - in school from 1999 to 2010). It is rough on a marriage, on individuals. I know you are saying she won't talk to you, but you have to still try. Be patient, give her some space, but let her know you love her still. Regardless of how she treats you, you need to be consistent in the way you treat her, show her your maturity and resolve by being patient, respectful, loving, and supportive.

Second, even if she won't talk to you, communicate your feelings to her, tell her how you feel, how important you feel it is to come to any solution about your future together. Invite her to consider couples counselling, do everything you can do to save your marriage.

Third, stop posting personal stuff on-line. If it does come to divorce, any and every statement you have ever made WILL be used against you. Even the things you have said up to this point could be used to paint you in a bad light (you come on here asking for help and within two days you are already asking for advice about a divorce attorney - if I were her attorney I would conclude that that indicates you already had your mind made up and that even though you were acting like you wanted to save the marriage, it was all for show). Plus, though there has been some great advice given, and it seems that we all generally care about your situation, the MM crowd is probably not the best source of advice on this subject. You need someone who understands you and your wife and can provide adequate perspective of both sides. Find a close friend, a brother, a sister, a church leader, and talk to them privately. Maybe get your own counselor, someone to help you deal with the emotions and sorrow. But, it should all be private. The more public you make this, the worse it will get for both of you. All you end up doing is forcing each other's hand.

That being said, I feel for you brother! I will keep you in my prayers. You need them. If you want to chat privately about this, drop me a PM.

HOOK 'EM!

Since I am frequently asked about my religion on this site and others, I have created a profile that explains my beliefs. If you are interested in finding out more about my faith, please visit the link below:

http://mormon.org/me/6RNQ/

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom