Is it to late for WY moose?

Craig

Very Active Member
I am a dumba$$. I had 5 non res moose points, then when WY upped their cost of points to $75 I dropped out and lost all my points. I really want to hunt moose some day. If I started buying points again would I be to far behind to ever catch up and draw a good moose tag? I know it will be a long time.

Unless you're pretty young it might be more to your advantage to go Alaska or one of the Canadian provinces the way it is taking a dozen or more PPs to draw in Wyoming's good units. By the time you would draw the tag the friggin wolves may have wiped out the last of them the way they already have up around Yellowstone.

check out some of the raffles,they aren't a sure thing but it can happen.I won the Colorado SCI moose tag last year with 100.00 worth of tickets

Craig,
You can always apply for a moose in the general draw, regardless of your points and while the odds are very low in drawing, someone is always lucky and pulls a tag. I know one guy who had drawn a sheep permit in the Cowboy state, then the next year he was legal to put in again, he drew another sheep tag in the general draw. If you really want a moose, that is another option. Then there is also Idaho, where everyone has the same odds because there are not points. Good luck!

yea, its too late. I have 7 sheep res points and its too late for me also. littlebighorn is right, Go with Idaho

Its never too late, If you want a moose, start building points.

I thought the same thing as you 11 years ago and now I'm in the drivers seat to draw a moose tag.

May be cashing them in this year...and 5 years after that I'll be applying and building points again.

I would also go with Idaho for moose as I think it has some good ones and everyone has an equal chance at drawing a tag.

Never too late.
If you can swing it, make application! You might draw a random tag and you will build points in the process. (put in for other States too)

I re-started in Wyo when I was 46 and now have 11 points. Like buzz, I feel like I'm about in the drivers seat. So if you're younger than 45 you probably will get one eventually, even with point creep.

Zeke

I only dream of being 45 again! Seeing as how I'm 18 years past that, I guess I won't mess with moose PPs. Good luck to all you young whippersnappers, LOL!!!

Yes he did! I'll take it as a compliment.
Do you suppose he missed the part where I said I started at 45 and now have 11 points? LOL

Zeke

To answer the OP's question.....yes it is. Even if you don't want a biggun.

A handful of units were closed again this year to wolf and grizz predation. There are more to come, no question. Not to mention a HUGE number of applicants who want the same as you do. Spend your $$$ and efforts elsewhere. Get out.

I bailed out on PP's last year with 5 @ $70 per year. Few trophy units remaining.....plus I was 5-7 points from those few units at today's PP levels.

And the few trophy units have only 2 or 3 NR tags......and the 25% draw quota must be available there first.......where does that leave you as a NR?

Can you say "suckin' hind tit'?

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom