Is Nevada worth it for a non-resident or not? ELK? DEER?

BRASS, I THINK IT IS IF YOUR IN IT FOR 4-5 DIFFERENT ANIMALS FOR THE LONG HAUL. I LIVE IN CALIF. & ITS A SHORT DRIVE, AND HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO PISS MY $$ AWAY ON. I THINK IN THE NEXT 10-15 YEARS I WILL SNAG MOST OF MY HUNTS. ITS WAY CHEAPER THAN 2-3 VOUCHER TAGS & I HAVE A FEW HUNTS IN THE MEANTIME. HOW DO YOU SEE THE SITUATION ??? I HAD WONDERED THE SAME AS YOU AT ONE POINT. YD.

I think if you're in it for several animals it is worth it, but not for just one or two animals. Just my opinion.

I'm in this same mess as the rest of you, I also put in for everything. I'm starting to wonder just like you guys is it worht it? I hope so.

I think that it is worth it. I apply for five different tags. It makes it a little easier to swallow. I hope for a deer tag every 3-5 years. Antelope every 8-10. Might draw an elk or a sheep tag at some point. I'm from CA also so its closer than most places. When you get drawn you can plan on a good hunt. I spent my deer points last year. I have a couple points for the others.

Don P.

Sure it is worth it. I feel anyways.

I have drawn muley and antelope buck, with 2 pts and 3pts...respectively.

Check out the leftover non-res list and go from there on your application... granted all the elk are antlerless...@ $1,200.00 a pop soooooooooo that aint happening for me! ha But there are deer and antelope too leftover... bucks.

This year I am drawing a Ram tag.....

Robb

I'm thinking seriously about NOT applying(multiple states), saving up for two years and go to BC so I can get one of those BC hawgs they keep posting on here. I made the mistake of adding up all I spend applying for western licenses. YIKES! and it usually results in the same thing, another point, and I am hunting deer in Washington and Idaho OTC.

Some of the best high-country archery hunts are virtually guaranteed with 2-3 points. To me that makes it worth it. While focusing on mule deer, I can continue to apply for other species and hope to get lucky.

Now if NV did not square the bonus points, I might have a different opinion. When you pay that much for points, you need them to have a real impact.

Great thread I was wondering the same thing myself. I think Boneaddict has a great idea, save the cash and go kill a monster in two years with a guaranteed tag!

I say pick a few good states that will produce the type of animal you are after and than stick with it. It should eventally pay off about the time you start gumming your food and pushing a walker.

Mike

A big waste of money, DON'T APPLY!

Personally, @ $140.00 plus $15.00 for deer and antelope, $20.00 for elk and 3 species of sheep, I get um all in. $330.00 divided by 6 = $55.00 per point. I guess you could figure that if it took you 10 years to get a elk tag that tag cost you $550.00 plus the $1,200.00 but who wouldn't hunt Nevada elk for $1,750.00?

Oh Yeah, for my $10.00 upland game stamp, I get to chase chukar for 4 months. WOW!

It took me five years to draw both rifle antelope and rifle deer. Got both last year. Won't reapply for antelope (Mandatory 10 year wait before you can apply) but will start over for deer. Might have one more good deer hunt for me up there.

Elk and sheep have lots of points, and I draw spring turkey every couple of years, so yeah, Nevada DOW will continue to get my money.

Don

Yes. Hunted the areas i have hunted for years, is it worth it? Every single penny. The years i don't draw tags i go up and watch the same areas to see how things are going. It's worth every single penny i will ever spend to draw nevada.

-Cass

I look at it as a 10 year plan, during those ten years I should get a deer/antelope and an elk tag. With such slim odds in other states it seems to me to be a good investment. It is getting to the point that you better have some kind of plan or you won't be hunting except over the counter units with every body and there brother, it is discouraging but I'm not sitting at home. It cost me about 250.00 last year to apply for everything, so ten years is 2,500 plus tag fees. It is an expensive game but I should get 3 hunts out of my money. Good luck in the draws.

Rich

Nevada is a 5 year waiting period for antelope. Bull elk is 10 years if you harvest, 5 if you don't, same for sheep.

Kingfish - might I ask why you say NV is not worth it for elk? Just curious.

Later,

Marcial

A lot depends upon which units you apply for each species. Obviously the less popular units you can draw in a few years while the more reknown units it may take a lifetime to draw. At over $200/year to apply for all species it is an expensive proposition if you are starting from scratch in the hopes of drawing premium tags!

I currently have about 8 bonus pts and still don't think I have a very good chance of drawing any of species and units I've been applying for. It is getting mighty expensive and if I didn't have so many years and $ invested I would likely be out of the NV draw. On the bright side NV has some great critters "IF" you can draw a tag!

I agree with jims. I have 7 points for everything and no draws. Not close on the best units and best hunts. If you look at the the draws odds it's discouraging. Sure they square points. They do it for everyone. I see alot of people with 13 points and still poor odds for sheep and elk. Have to continue. May have an expensive speed goat and deer hunt. Hope to be lucky for sheep and elk some day. Good luck.

as far as nevada goes ,dont apply ,the hunting is very poor, tags are almost impossible to draw,and is a waste of time to any non resident hunter,go to utah or arizona ,Youre money will be worth loosing in their draws,Nevada has a small population of elk and deer compared to the surrounding states,and as well you would be absolutely lucky to harvest a trophy ,let alone being lucky enough to even draw a tag .So please take my advise ,DONT APPLY.As a lifetime resident and lifelong hunter This state is absolutely not worth the time ,money or effort.

Nevada Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Big Bucks & Bulls Timberline Outfitters Guide Service

Customized and high quality eastern Nevada trophy hunts for mule deer, elk and antelope.

Western Wildlife Adventures

We offer some excellent mule deer and elk hunts in northeast Nevada.

Currant Creek Outfitters

Nevada, big bucks and big bulls! We hunt for quality not quantity.

Nevada Outfitters & Guides Association

Find guides and outfitters for mule deer, elk, sheep, chuckar, fishing, & more!

SilverGrand Outfitters

Successfully guiding in Nevada for many years. Mule deer, elk, antelope and bighorn sheep hunts.

Hidden Lake Outfitters

Specializing in trophy mule deer hunts along with elk, mountain goat, antelope and mountain lion.

G&J Outdoors

Full time outfitter with 20+ years hunting mule deer, sheep, elk, antelope, lion and chukar.

Mountain Man Outfitters

Offering world class mule deer hunts in some of the most productive units in Nevada.

Nevada High Desert Outfitters

Rocky mountain goats, desert, rocky and california bighorn, mule deer, antelope and elk hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

If you want an unguided hunt but can't draw your tags, you need to call us.

White River Guide Service

50 years of guiding experience! Mule deer, elk, sheep and cougar.

Back
Top Bottom