Is this Bull a shooter???

257Tony

Long Time Member
Found this nice Bull while hunting Elk here in Utah, if you had a tag would you pull the trigger? How about if I told you we were 4 miles in, in a no Horses allowed area???

470ec8706913b260.jpg

Zoomed in

470ec88a6967ad91.jpg

You probably can't tell from the picture, but he has a broken off point on his left side. Funny thing is I found that point in the bottom of the draw he was in, still in velvet....

He is surely a shooter. If I was hunting moose, I wouldn't be in 4 miles into a "no horse" area, so I wouldn't have to make that decision!

Legacy just said it all. He's sure fire shooter, but nobody moose hunting would ever see him if he's that far in where you can only walk. Nobody in their right mind would hunt a moose there.

I have a Wasatch moose tag in my pocket and even with the single fronts I would be tempted. 4 miles is a long way back in, but it only happens Once-In-A-Lifetime. Great bull and split those fronts he would be exceptional. Thanks for posting the picture.

-------------------------
www.sagebasin.com
-------------------------

It seems as if to get that type of quality anymore you have to go more remote like your 4 miles in question.

A guy could always 'leap-frog' loads and get him out....I certainly have cursed myself for taking a harvest in a hell hole as I 'leap-frog' my harvest out....but after all said and done--back at camp..... a little 'Crown-n-Coke' helped easy the muscle pain!

You in the watershed so no horses?

Robb

DEFINATELY a shooter, no matter where you are at.
my philosophy is get them on the ground before you have time to think about where you are, packing out is half the fun.

Mntman

Definitely a shooter. If yer not planning on bringing something out, why hunt four miles in. I'd shoot and start eating right there. Might be there a few days, but he'd be completely deboned and back at the truck sooner or later...

"Is this bull a shooter???"

We've killed elk that far in that had to come out on our backs. Why not a moose? I agree, if I did find a moose like that, I would probably forget about my location, and then worry about it when that stinky thing was on the ground! I remember packing out a bull elk a couple of years ago on our backs. It was BRUTAL! No trail, steep, deadfall, rocky...you know! I told my Bro-in-law "in a few days, we'll look back at this and think it was fun!" And after we recovered, we did! It was one of the best hunting experiences I have had. It is part of the fun.

RE: "Is this bull a shooter???"

Yep, shoot. Hell it once in a life time, might as well have a OIALT pack out as well.

I think he is a shooter also. I will head back up there if I ever draw the tag. Just need my 12 closest friends to help me!!

68hi7ls.gif

For the love of God shoot him. NOW.

Aim Center Mass
rifleman.gif

LAST EDITED ON Oct-12-07 AT 06:38PM (MST)[p]257Tony, 4 miles is a long ways, especially for a man of my age. But I used to backpack in 20 miles or more all the time. I would have to say that if time allowed, I would dump him, even at my age.

I would still rather be wet, chilled, tired, and excited than warm, dry and bored!:)

Eel

Tony,

I probably aint on the 12 list,
but call me if one's sick.

I'd come help you with that bad boy.

With the quickness.......

Larry

>Tony,
>
>I probably aint on the 12
>list,
>but call me if one's sick.
>
>
>I'd come help you with that
>bad boy.
>
>With the quickness.......
>
>Larry

Hehe, actually I only have like 5 friends here that are physically able to do that kind of stuff.....Maybe if I can pull a tag in the next couple years....

68hi7ls.gif

Great moose Tony!

I would go with Packout on this one. Very nice paddles, lots of points, he only lacks the split or triple eyeguards! When he gets those I think this bull will be scary big!

LAST EDITED ON Oct-15-07 AT 07:59PM (MST)[p]Shoot shoot shoot! At least that's what I would be saying after I had him down! You could do it - it may take a week or two but at least you would have fresh meat to sustain you. Yeah I would do it!

UTROY
Proverbs 21:19 (why I hunt!)

LAST EDITED ON Oct-15-07 AT 10:51PM (MST)[p]OK, everyone here has established that they're more ambitious than I am ( or else I'm just smarter?), but why not spend some time looking a few miles closer to where you can get horses or a vehicle? Since this is a OIL tag, they can't be that heavily hunted closer to access, there aren't enough permits for that to be the case.

I believe in hunting smarter rather than harder. He's a great Shiras, but I don't see any way that I'm packing him 4 miles on my back. Of course, the one and only Shiras I shot we loaded onto the pickup whole in 1 piece, so what do I know? The antlers were only 38" wide, but he had decent palms and fully developed brow palms on both sides. Heck, I shot him with my bow, and the meat tasted darned good, even though he wasn't a monster. Par of why we shot him was due to his location, where we could get a tractor to him to drag him out. I'll be damned if I'd have ever considered packing him two miles, let alone four.

gal no hourses that sucks,that thing is huge get a black horse strap the antlers on its head no one would ever know the difference jk lol

Just Living The Dream

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom