Is this the season

Country

Seems like the stars have aligned this year for third season. Late dates, weather before the season, cold temps, and rutting bucks. Curious to see how many big bucks get killed this season, think it might be the year of the mature deer massacre.

Haha. They have been killing the big bucks in the NW for a couple years now. The few left are few and far between. This late season and cold will definitely hit the remaining few…

I’ve seen a lot of small 19-20” four points and forkies chasing does. I’m sure the big boys are around but there seems to be an entire age group of deer missing. Normally I can turn up a couple 24-28” bucks this year I’ve yet to see one. Not saying they aren’t there but it most certainly is different then years past. Cpw may want to re think their plan soon.

Guys saying only small deer this year… the seasons have been later for 2 or 3 years now, me thinks this is the result of those later dates playing out in real time…

I hunted mz season in Sept. At 11k ft where I normally see a group of 5 plus bucks with three mature and a couple little guys I saw one mature buck. He had no friends. Saw two smaller forkies down low. Have only seen one buck near rd while driving lately

Seems like the stars have aligned this year for third season. Late dates, weather before the season, cold temps, and rutting bucks. Curious to see how many big bucks get killed this season, think it might be the year of the mature deer massacre.
The so called resource (mature bigger bucks ) that Colorado has and still does produce to some extent occasionally is on the decline and is going to do so more with these later November dates. IMO you cannot hunt Mule deer during the rut with the amount of tags given and sustain trophy quality. I believe the top end quality in a lot of units are not anywhere where it was just a few years back. Yes a few good bucks being killed still, but in another few years I don’t see it being very positive. I hope I’m wrong .

The so called resource (mature bigger bucks ) that Colorado has and still does produce to some extent occasionally is on the decline and is going to do so more with these later November dates. IMO you cannot hunt Mule deer during the rut with the amount of tags given and sustain trophy quality. I believe the top end quality in a lot of units are not anywhere where it was just a few years back. Yes a few good bucks being killed still, but in another few years I don’t see it being very positive. I hope I’m wrong .
You nailed it. It’s grim in SW Colorado now days.

Seems like the stars have aligned this year for third season.
I drew and hunted a unit this year that I hunted four years ago for Mule Deer. Weather, dates, everything seemed perfect. I hunted the whole 7 day season and only saw one buck that was borderline tempting for me to shoot. He was with does and had a bigger 3 point frame, about as wide as his ears. Guessing 21-22” wide. Passed and ate my tag this year. Four years ago same unit and season saw half a dozen really nice mature 4 point bucks and harvested a mid 180s buck on last day. Saw A lot of hunters this year that had harvested three year old age class bucks. Deer numbers seemed good with good fawn crop, but the older bucks just didn’t seem to be there. Talked to prob 12 to 15 other buck hunters through the duration of the hunt , all had the same kind of report. Haven’t seen anything mature .Very upsetting how the unit had regressed as far as the older age class of bucks in just four years. I’m from Denver and it’s about a 3 1/2 hour drive south. I wasn’t able to pre scout this year but after seven days I felt I gave it a good effort .

Last edited:
I had a second season tag in the Gunnie Basin and my son had the third season tag in the same unit. Between the two of us we hunted from daylight til dark for 12 days. I never saw a buck worth putting a shell in the chamber for on my hunt. A couple of 160 bucks at distance.
My son's third season was a little better with a handful of 170 bucks showing up but the rut activity was not real hot until the last few days of the hunt. It seemed like the weather and season dates were great, but the size of bucks we saw was very underwhelming. The older age class bucks were just not there.

We got lucky with my son finding a great buck a mile away on the last morning of his hunt. He made a mad dash while I tried to keep track of the buck and killed it at 90 yards offhand.
It was an amazing finish to some very challenging hunting.
Most hunters were not so lucky, but persistence did pay off for us.

We got lucky with my son finding a great buck a mile away on the last morning of his hunt. He made a mad dash while I tried to keep track of the buck and killed it at 90 yards offhand.
Not to divert the thread, but love to see big deer pics. Care to share LBH?

My contribution to this thread: We saw better deer this 3rd season than in year's past, but the unit and the deer are not trophies by many on this forum. This unit is considered a sh*tty unit for deer/elk as most NR can hunt it every year.

I had a second season tag in the Gunnie Basin and my son had the third season tag in the same unit. Between the two of us we hunted from daylight til dark for 12 days. I never saw a buck worth putting a shell in the chamber for on my hunt. A couple of 160 bucks at distance.
My son's third season was a little better with a handful of 170 bucks showing up but the rut activity was not real hot until the last few days of the hunt. It seemed like the weather and season dates were great, but the size of bucks we saw was very underwhelming. The older age class bucks were just not there.

Would love to see a pic of your son's buck lbh!

I missed hunting Colorado this year-sounds like it has been a tough hunt for nearly everyone. Glory days of mule deer hunting in Colorado may be in the rear view (for now).

Not to divert the thread, but love to see big deer pics. Care to share LBH?

My contribution to this thread: We saw better deer this 3rd season than in year's past, but the unit and the deer are not trophies by many on this forum. This unit is considered a sh*tty unit for deer/elk as most NR can hunt it every year.
I don't have permission from him to share and it's his buck. Showing a pic may also be unfair to anyone thinking they are going to find one like it in the future. Far and away the biggest we saw. Maybe he will post later?

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom