ISO info on unit 70 Colorado deer.

Digger91

My dad put us in for a unit 70 3rd season deer hunt in Colorado. Just looking for some basic info, what to expect any tips would be greatly appreciated.

I hunted 4th season last year on a re-issued tag. There were plenty of deer and a bunch of small bucks. The biggest buck I saw alive was around 165". All the deer I saw killed during the 4th season were 2 and 3 points.

I did see two good deer that were killed. One was on the last day of 3rd season, and the other was the day after 3rd season was over. The one killed the day after the season was over would be considered a big deer on any unit.

I would classify the unit as an opportunity hunt. They are not managing the unit to produce mature deer.

Been there, done that, and never going back. You can PM me if you have other questions.

Last edited:
I hunted 4th season last year on a re-issued tag. There were plenty of deer and a bunch of small bucks. The biggest buck I saw alive was around 165". All the deer I saw killed during the 4th season were 2 and 3 points.

I did see two good deer that were killed. One was on the last day of 3rd season, and the other was the day after 3rd season was over. The one killed the day after the season was over was a big deer on any unit.

I would classify the unit as an opportunity hunt. They are not managing the unit to produce mature deer.

Been there, done that, and never going back. You can PM me if you have other questions.
Thanks for the info

I have the same experience as SouthPaw. Brother picked up a 3rd season leftover tag. We hunted hard from Monday until the end of season. Tons of dinks and that was all that was hanging in camps and in back of trucks that we saw. Before the hunt, We had the thought that we would use the time to scout and learn the unit, then draw tags the next year. Well after what we saw and learned, we decided we’d probably never hunt over there again. You can PM me as well if you’d like

I did see two good deer that were killed. One was on the last day of 3rd season, and the other was the day after 3rd season was over. The one killed the day after the season was over would be considered a big deer on any unit.

The day after the season was over? What happened?

The day after the season was over? What happened?
I should have worded that better. It was the day after 3rd season was over, but there are different season dates for Native Americans for the area than the ones set by CDOW. The buck was legal and big.

Last edited:
I’ve hunted 3rd season every year for the past 7 years. We have shot a few nice bucks 170-ish. But I definitely wouldn’t expect that. It’s a good unit to go see deer and maybe see one or two shooters if your lucky, but you’ll mostly going to see a handful of 2-3 year old bucks each day. We put on an average of 5-6 miles a day hiking.

I’ve hunted 3rd season every year for the past 7 years. We have shot a few nice bucks 170-ish. But I definitely wouldn’t expect that. It’s a good unit to go see deer and maybe see one or two shooters if your lucky, but you’ll mostly going to see a handful of 2-3 year old bucks each day. We put on an average of 5-6 miles a day hiking.
Yeah kinda what I've gathered. I'll be hunting this year 3rd season so hopefully me and my dad can get lucky and find a couple decent ones. If not it'll be a fun trip either way.

I hunted 3rd season. I had also hunted it in 2011 and 2013 so I was very familiar with the unit. Showed up 3 days early to scout. Hunted all 7 days. The good news: The deer numbers are phenomenal. The bad news: There are no mature bucks. I probably saw 2 or 3 big 3 points and 3x4’s. Several 24-26” 4 points, but young. Just nothing big. 120”-160” bucks getting pounded left and right, out rutting in broad daylight. I was rooting for the deer on several occasions….just…get….in….the….trees.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom