issues with my whisker biscuit

Trad Bow 1979

So I just bought my Hoyt Charger in March, I chose to go with a whisker biscuit for my rest. Just 3 weeks ago I had to change out the biscuitt cause it was just shredded and I lost the ability to group well beyond 40 yards. So we changed it out and I got a new one. Now already it is starting to fray a little. The arrow still fits in good with minimal movement, and there are still plenty of black whiskers on the bottom. I am just wondering why my bow is so rough on them. I do shoot a lot, but I also got friends that shoot a lot and use a biscuit. I have taken my bow to the shop and we have paper tuned it and its punching good holes. I have never had an arrow go through it with the vain cutting through the black whiskers. So what else can be the issue? At this point im good to go with my broadheads and I am just going to leave it alone until after my hunt. I think I am going to go with a drop away if I cannot get this resolved soon. I appreciate any feedback.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-19-14 AT 05:50PM (MST)[p]Are you shooting with the ##### feather up ? and check your nocking point and make sure you are passing thro the rest without any angle. I shoot ALOT and have only had to change my biscuit about every other year. Half my family shoot biscuit and half hostage. Its been our experience the biscuit last about twice as long. And the hostage is more accurate. Good luck. i cant belive it sensored kok feather

i would check to see if your rest was paper tuned,but i would also get rid of the whisker biscuit.i used one for two years and always they did the same thing.try using the qad pro rest and have your bow paper tuned before you start sighting it in and you will be very happy with the change i did and im glad to have changed.

Thanks for the info guys! Yea I have had my bow paper tuned a few times, its darn near perfect. The suggestion that it might be kicking the back end down makes a lot of sense. I always make sure the kock feather is up too. I got the biscuit cause it was simple and was not mechanical. I figured, why bring one more mechanical thing along that can fail at an important moment? Well, after my elk hunt I am going to ditch that thing and go to a drop away. I was actually looking at the quad pro, I just do not recall how much it costs. Well, I guess it is worth to put out some extra cash for consistancy in arrow flight.

We use the biscuits on 5 different bows and have never experienced the problems your describing .....something has to be wrong someplace. Especially if your already seeing issues with your new biscuit .....you using Blazers? Or some off brand vanes?...if your not using Blazers I would make the switch and see how that works out for you. If your using some other brand vanes maybe they have to sharp an edge and they are fraying the whiskers on the biscuit ? Just brain storming here?:)

))))------->

There are so many great full containment, drop away rests on the market now, you ought to look at updating. Whisker biscuts kinda had the market on containment for years, long ago, but alway had the issue of potential accuracy problems with the contact interference. Now you get containment and no contact, best of both worlds. You'll never look back.

Thanks for the feedback guys! So I went to the local archery shop, and I would say they are very good at what they do. The only issue they found was the biscuit was not completely straight, it was slightly canted down. So they replaced it free of charge. They also agreed that the wear and tear was excessive. We paper tuned it and it shoots slightly knock high. The timing was dead on. We attempted to fix the knock high issue by adjusting they elevation of the rest, and then the location of the knock look. Nothing fixed the issue. Most of the guys at the shop shoot Hoyts, and all concur that Hoyts can be tuning nightmares. So I got a fresh biscuitt free of charge to get me through my elk hunt. Then I am thinking of going with a QAD drop away.

That has to be one of the few times I have heard hoyts are tough to tune. I am slightly biased but hoyts are very easy to tune. As for you bisket I don't like them for that very reason. The black bristols look fine but the arrow will actually fall to the left of the stiff black bristols by way of the vane location. I would definitely go with a good drop away. with the biskets you never know when tuning issues will start.

alpinebowman

>>>---shots that are true pass right through--->

Are you using Quick spin vanes? or are your vanes set on a helix?

those two can cause problems with the bisquits.

If so, try a straight flat vane or maybe set it at a slight angle , maybe 2%

nocwalker

I shoot a Hoyt and used a whisker biscuit for years with no problems at all. That was with straight fletch of a slight offset. When I went to blazer vanes and put a helical on them I started noticing the wear on the whisker biscuit and when to a drop away. Whisker biscuits are still good for straight fletch but not for helicals.

>So I just bought my Hoyt
>Charger in March, I chose
>to go with a whisker
>biscuit for my rest. Just
>3 weeks ago I had
>to change out the biscuitt
>cause it was just shredded
>and I lost the ability
>to group well beyond 40
>yards. So we changed it
>out and I got a
>new one. Now already it
>is starting to fray a
>little. The arrow still fits
>in good with minimal movement,
>and there are still plenty
>of black whiskers on the
>bottom. I am just wondering
>why my bow is so
>rough on them. I do
>shoot a lot, but I
>also got friends that shoot
>a lot and use a
>biscuit. I have taken my
>bow to the shop and
>we have paper tuned it
>and its punching good holes.
>I have never had an
>arrow go through it with
>the vain cutting through the
>black whiskers. So what else
>can be the issue? At
>this point im good to
>go with my broadheads and
>I am just going to
>leave it alone until after
>my hunt. I think I
>am going to go with
>a drop away if I
>cannot get this resolved soon.
>I appreciate any feedback.

The issue with your whisker biscuit is that it's a whisker biscuit. Go get a real rest -- QAD, trophy taker, ANYthing other than a biscuit.

So this reply is going to two different issues I posted on this page. The whisker biscuit fiasco, and the proper spine issue. So I took the advice from all of you guys and have made a few changes and I am very pleased with the results. I got rid of the whisker biscuit and got the Hoyt QAD. I changed out my 400's and went to the 340's. I added one more change and added helical vanes. Ran it through the chronograph, lost 10 FPS. Everything was going fine at normal distances, I noticed that I never had the occasional flyer that made you sit and wonder what the heck caused it. I had to make a pin adjustment at 60, and 70. But at 70 my shot group was literally cut in half from before! Just to make sure I wasn't just getting lucky I did it a few more times. I shot a six inch group with 5 arrows 3 times. I am very pleased. Yea I lost 10 fps, but I feel more confident that I won't have any unexpected flyers anymore which is good to me!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom