It's my first time hunting unit 34 muleys, HELP!

K

ksdeadeye

Hi guys. My dad and I drew a unit 34 muley tag this year and are new to hunting this area. Can anybody offer some advise as to where to hunt? My dad does better on the less vertical terrain, and we are looking at public ground unless someone knows of some private ground with reasonable trespass fees. Any advice or help you could give us would be appreciated. It's always hard hunting a new unit, but doing the research is half the fun of the hunt! Thanks for any help you can give us.

Check in the muledeer topic there is a post with some good info.
This fall will be my first time hunting this unit also. So I can't give you much info on where to go. from looking at the topo map it's pretty rough in the northern part.

What season are you hunting there in 34? We were there in that same unit back in 2009 for Deer & Antelope. Not many deer were seen as they could have been on the ranches in the mid southern part of unit. We were there in mid OCT and it had snowed and then thawed out....WHAT A MESS TO GET AROUND.

Towards the end of our stay my friend spotted this one and said he was taking it.....so out came the 257 Weatherby and after a short walk over to the edge of a high ridge dropped this 3x3.

The western side of unit is where a guy could have better luck maybe but BEWARE there is an OUTFITTER that has a lot of land posted...not sure if it was all legal but did not bother to find out....not worth the hassle.
674p1000325.jpg

Those ATV's never left the trailer...GW said he was there to inforce the rules of NO OFF ROADING EXCEPT LEGAL ROADS AND ATV TRAILS IF ANY AROUND...PERIOD.

Brian
http://i25.tinypic.com/fxbjgy.jpg[/IMG]

We will be hunting Oct 15 weekend, and the last weekend as well. We have been drawn for arizona elk, and wyoming unit 9 antelope also, so time will be limited. Brian, thanks for the info, that looks like a tasty buck you got there. I have seen other senario's where the outfitters tried to scare out of state guys off by posting public land, so I hope thats not what's happening there in unit 34. I am going to buy that WYTRAX software that you install on your GPS that tells you exactly where you are in relation to BLM, and public land. I think it runs $80 for my garmin. That should help us know exactly were we are on the map so the outfitters can't fool us even if they do post public ground. Anyone out there used the WYTRAX software before?

Brian, what part of the unit were you hunting in 2009? I was around lost springs antelope hunting that exact year, and remember that snow storm in the first week of October. We were cleaning the last antelope buck of the season when the sky opened and the snow began. We thought that we were lucky to be leaving when we did. Were deer hard to find that time of year, and how were you hunting? I mean were you glassing from roads, or highpoints, or just trying to walk them up? Were the roads impassable, or just sloppy and slow going? Thanks for the info and the nice pic, What a pretty buck.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom