Ivomec

this will start a fight, but I use it all the time, depends on the dog. large dog= dab the size of your bird fingernail. small dog= dab the size of your small fingernail. My vet says it will kill heartworm also, but if your dog is infected with with heartworm it could kill it.

Mulehound

LAST EDITED ON Feb-28-03 AT 11:08AM (MST)[p]No fight here :) I use it.. the only argument often is about the dosage...

1% solution should require 1/10 CC per 40 lbs of dog weight or so... this is the argument.. some say 1/20 some 1/15 ...

You can dilute the liquid wormer with propylene glycol so you can measure the correct dosage... (not very easy to measure 1/10 of a CC).. if you dilute it with propylene glycol .. you can easily calculate and measure the right dosage...

The paste is even harder to measure.. it is normally 1.57%.. and is not easily diluted...

As MH stated above.. you should have your dog tested for HW before using as HW preventative... and if in doubt.. don't believe anything on the internet.. just consult your vet.. ;-)

Steve Lithgow
http://www.waycoolkennels.com

I have always heard 1/10 per 10 lbs.I have read several responses saying this was way too high.It may be.Make sure you dilute it into something when you give it to the dogs as it can be harsh straight up.I have been giving it for 7 or 8 years now and never had a problem.I use this as a heartworm preventitive, then use Strongid and Safeguard for other worms.Once a month on the Ivomec and a couple times a year with the other wormers.
I cant understand someone having wormy dogs.This stuff is so inexspensive and easy to use there is no need for it.I have bought some dogs in the last couple years that were in real poor shape when I got them.A month after worming them and good dog food and they were different dogs.I even had one dog that hade a couple seizures when I first got her.Spent some $$ at the vets to find out what was causing them.She had whipworms real bad.Treated her for them and she has never had another seizure since.My vet told me when he first examined her that a bad case of worms could cause the seizures when the dog got excitied.Something about the blood flowing hard with the excitement making the worms more active ???? I dont know but the cure worked.

Border,

Tell me more about the whipworms and seizures. I have one hound and one weimaraner that both have what I call occasionaly seizures. The excitement thing sounds about right, I have only seen the seizures a few times but it is usually when I am going to let them out of the pen. Both dogs have seen the Vet, but I have not had a good answer from him. My weimaraner had a seizure that left her temperarily paralyzed. First time she seized was during a thunder storm. Spent alot of coin at the Vet and I never got a good answer, he suspects a brain tumor, the dog is fine for now. Anyhow I'm curious about the whipworm deal. I'll ask my vet as well. Thanks

af

Well, Af, If I could find the page online that I saw whent he dog first had the seizure I would send it to you !!! I will find it again eventually.I was already to put the dog on the anti seizure medicine when the vet said she should be tested for worms first and rule it out.So far so good ,and its been over 3 months since she had one.I treated her with Panacur which was a little pricey.

I don't use it but several guys I know do, they all give 1/10th cc for every 10 pds. Old guy I know in Tennessee been doing this forever he said, and never had any ill effects on his dogs neither. He gives them it once a month and uses pancake syrup as a chaser to mix with the ivomec. He pretty much uses it as a heart worm preventative.

Ivomec comes in different concentrations of active ingredient. That will affect dosage but it is very safe and hard to overdose by accident.

Are you talking Ivomec, the liquid cattle wormer, or Ivomectrin, the paste used to worm horses etc?

Wanted to revive this thread. I've been sleeping with the dogs lately and have this uncontrollable urge to drag my a$$ on the carpet. :)

Seriously, exactly which Ivomec product are you guys talking about. I've used tons of the pouron on cattle, dosage is 5ml per 110 pounds. Is that the wormer you are talkng about? Or are you using the injectable only giving it orally?

There talking about the 1% swine/cattle injectable stuff. Now that ivomec has gone generic you can pick up off labels for about 25 bucks for 50 ml bottle. Stay away from the Ivomec Plus, you just want the regular stuff.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom