Jackson county cow elk ?

NECALI

My son is living in Greeley and is currently working through the Mountain States Apprentice Lineman program. He won't be able to hunt much these years, but did buy a cow elk tag for Jackson county. Problem is he needs help from someone to send him in the right direction. He went scouting this weekend but only saw deer. His time is very limited with classes and work so he won't be able to get back out until the 2nd weekend of the season. He loves hunting and so this is kiling him and me that He hasn't been able to hunt with me the last couple of years.
Thanks for any advice.

What part of Jackson county did he look into? I've hunted unit 161 for the past dozen years or so and have always had pretty good luck on Independence Mountain. The number of elk there is largely contingent on the weather, but there is a large enough local herd there. Its certainly not the place for any trophy caliber elk, but he should have some luck finding a cow. Hope this helps.

PM sent

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

Thanks for the replies guys. This is what makes this site so great. He said he was in area 6 scouting. He didn't go real high into the timber but was just under it. If that makes sense. Said it looked like great mule deer country.

Sounds like he was near the sand dunes up there. A number of years ago, when deer were over the counter, I remember my dad saying they would go to the dunes because the area was filthy with them. I'm guessing the elk are still higher up the mountain at this point, until there gets to be some more snow up there. Anywho, I wish him the best.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom