James Peak Wilderness???

G

GodCountryMulies

Long story short I will be hunting archery for the first time this year. Drew 2nd Season 21 buck tag this year and will be using all my time off to hunt that season. Also have a 4th season GMU 3 Bull tag. So I am looking for somewhere close to Denver to try and get my archery cow. I killed a small buck in 38 last year closer to Central City but have never hunted the higher stuff in that area. I have been looking at James Peak Wilderness on the back side of Berthoud Pass. Never been in there but from a distance it looks "elky". Any and all advice would be appreciated. Mostly wondering if the area holds decent elk and also if there is a lot of recreation in there during the season. Thanks a million.

Theres always about 30 head on nebraska hill every year, helped pack a couple down for buddys. It can be a little tricky picking your route cause of the private mineing claims, good gps will come in handy, if you park at the tunnel you can come in from the back side but be carful its nasty steep and rocky but you will totaly come in unknowing to the elk, its easy to glass from all the roads so you can know there in there pior to going, 38 gets hunted hard, and you will encounter atv,s motocross, and all others up there, but every year theres some monsters that come out of 38, im in broomfield if you ever want to run up there pior to season

I believe 38 is not on the list for state-wide archery cow tags. You might want to look into it before investing too much time. Good luck this year.

Thanks for the info gentleman. I saw that 38 is not OTC this year. Going to try the headwaters of Williams Fork up in 37 instead. Its close to home and looks promising. I'll only have a one or two days a week to hunt and this is my first year archery so worst case scenario I get to spend some time up in the mountains during the best time of year. Thanks again for your advice and good luck to you both this year

Good decision! I have hunted 37, and it holds some decent numbers of elk. It can be steep, but look for those benches and hidden meadows. 37 is an excellent over the counter unit. Good luck!

Thought I'd update y'all on archery. Hunted south of Eisenhower Tunnel in 37. Due to a buddies dedicated scouting and generous offer to tag along in the 5 days I was able to hunt all season I was in the elk all 5 days. Opening weekend we hiked in about 2 miles from the trailhead and made camp. Opening morning we had bulls bulging and missed opportunities. The next day I blew a stalk on my cow at about 80 yards. The weekend of the 21-22 my buddy cancelled last min but gave me the green light to hunt his honey hole solo. In 16 years of elk hunting this was my first backcountry solo hunt. I made a 3 hour stalk on a cow/ bull and blew it at 30 yards due to impatience. That day the I had 4 different bulls bugleing in the bowl and was seeing elk everywhere. Long story short I busted my ass hiking in there spent a lot of money and walked away with no meat and a life time addiction to bow hunting. Best hunt I have ever had and am forever addicted to this archery business. Leaving Fri to try and fill my 2nd season 21 buck tag. Thanks to everyone for the advice and happy hunting

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom