Jan. otc bowhunt for javelina and mule deer.

otcbowhunter

I never hunted in Az. and was thinking of a javelina/mule deer hunt in January. My thought was to put in for unit 36a, which has close to 100% draw for Javelinas. While hunting for the little pigs I could scout for deer and take it from there.I am not looking for anyones honey hole, just some advise that I'm on the right track. How much public land is in 36a? Are there any pigs in 36a? How is the mule deer population in 36a? Any insight would gladly be welcome. Thanks otcbowhunter

LAST EDITED ON Sep-15-09 AT 03:01PM (MST)[p]Where will you be coming from? I'm asking becuase there may be some closer places in AZ that offer just as good hunting without the illegal aliens and drug traffickers.

I will be coming from Western, New York.
I seen alot of postings about illegals and drug traffickers.
Is it really that bad?
Thanks otcbowhunter

Yeah it can be bad. You may want to consider looking at an outfitter for your hunt. A hunt in the desert is a whole new can of worms. In the long run your money woney will be well spent. There are a few guys offering deer/javelina combo hunt between $2500-$3000. Otherwise your going to have a rough road ahead of you. If you decide DIY you'll want to bring a friend. Make sure you have some decent glasses because you're going to need to spend alot of time glassing.

Thanks mesquitehunter. I have a buddy going with me. I am going to DIY hunt. I would prefere to not hunt the muleys in the desert. Can you suggest any other OTC northern or mountianous areas that are good for both pigs and deer? I'm in good shape and not afraid to get in a couple of miles if need be.

LAST EDITED ON Sep-16-09 AT 01:14PM (MST)[p]If it where me I would consider unit 21. You can hunt whitetail,muledeer and Javelina in Jan. Unit 21 would be what your looking for. It's in the center of the state just north of Phoenix. One minute you can be in the desert and the next be in the Cedars. It's very nice there.

Unit 33 would be another good option, just NE of Tucson, as would be Unit 23 east of Roosevelt Lake. Don't forget that quail season is open also during January.
CopyofSedona1-2509034.jpg

Thanks alot for the info! You guys are great. Any one else have any suggestion? One thing nice about the OTC tag is, if isn't good where you are you can always move.

otcbowhunter, just because I'm curious why do you prefer not to hunt muleys in the desert?

That's what I live for.

Creed, it's not really a preference. It's more that I have never done it and from the other post on this site I was kind of turned off by it, I wil not have have any scouting time. I thought I would do better else where. I do have good optics and alot of patience. Also have a buddy going, so four eyes are better than two! What and where do you suggest? Thanks otcbowhunter

>Thanks alot for the info! You
>guys are great. Any one
>else have any suggestion? One
>thing nice about the OTC
>tag is, if isn't good
>where you are you can
>always move.

I'm not sure where you are getting some of the information - the only non- permit tag for javelina is city limit hunts - there are no otc hunts for pig - archery or otherwise ! sorry - aplly thru the lottery and pick a unit MM

LAST EDITED ON Sep-19-09 AT 03:45PM (MST)[p]Muley,

I think he meant OTC for deer only, since he also had this in his first message:

"My thought was to put in for unit 36a, which has close to 100% draw for Javelinas."

TONY MANDILE
48e63dfa482a34a9.jpg

How To Hunt Coues Deer

I have killed javelina in 36A and 36B. I have hunted both units since before there was an illegal/trafficker problem. I always see them but so far I have not had any problems with them, besides the tons of trash they leave behind.
What are some of the "horror stories" that you have heard of ?

I haven't really heard of any "horror stories" But everyone mentions the illegal/trafficker problem. Did you see any big muleys in those units? Just don't need to be looking over my shoulder all the time. I go hunting to get away from people, not to see them doing stuff they shouldn't be doing. thanks for the info glass_eye

If you prefer hunting mule deer, I suggest you look farther north than the 36 units. Although there are some mule deer in them, for the most part you'll be seeing Coues deer.

There are several units in the central part of the state that will provide both decent mule deer hunting and javelina, but drawing a javelina permit will be a bit more difficult. Look at units 21,22 and 23 for example.

TONY MANDILE
48e63dfa482a34a9.jpg

How To Hunt Coues Deer

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom