Javalina

nmbighorn

Any success from the archery Javalina hunts?

I have heard numbers have been down, what are you guys seeing?

Still a few days left GL

I've only been out about four days this month and I've seen exactly one. I put a stalk on him and got into a great position and then shot over him and blew it because I'm trash with a bow (maybe with a rifle too). Oh well. I hope I get another chance but if not it's all fair. I guess I'd rather blow it on a javelina than on an elk or something. I'd like to get that crap out of my system now.

Last edited:
I got one on the fourth day. I saw fewer than I expected and mainly in thicker cover, but only my second javelina hunt. I had given up and decided to focus on quail. Then saw him about 200y from the road and put a good stalk and shot on him.
Congrats, that's awesome

I got one on the fourth day. I saw fewer than I expected and mainly in thicker cover, but only my second javelina hunt. I had given up and decided to focus on quail. Then saw him about 200y from the road and put a good stalk and shot on him.
How close are you getting? I stalked two different javelinas yesterday and blew it both times right when I was getting into range. My bow is only set for 40 yards at the longest. I was basically crawling at that point but I think I still made too much noise. It was flat sandy/gravel type stuff with a few low mesquites around and I tried to hide behind those. That one I had shot at and missed a couple weeks ago must've been old and losing his wits because these two were a hell of a lot spookier.

Anyway, this has been pretty humbling with the bow. I suck and I might be done for the season. Much respect to you guys who bow hunt and regularly have success. I imagine it's much harder for deer.

Last edited:
I shot at 28y. Archery is a different beast! Makes rifle hunting seem easy though.

It ain't complicated. Don't be seen, herd, or smelled. Watch their eyes: if you can't see their eyes, they can't see you. Go slow. Take a step, reevaluate. Another step, another evaluate. Just because it's simple doesn't make it easy.

For me, I didn't have much cover, but it was dusk and they were feeding. The ground was sandy, which helped.

Their population seems to be on the up tick on the eastern slope of the Sacramentos. Seeing more sign and more sightings than I can remember. That being said probably not where I would focus on for a hunt. North of Deming had a good population in the past. Seen them on base of Floridas also

That is cool to hear. I wonder how their numbers are doing overall in this state? I've seen them here around Cruces but not really in good (or legal) areas to hunt. I've seen them in the Gila too but I've only hunted them in the draw units. Of those units I've tried quite a few areas but only in one have I actually seen them. I've seen them around there pretty consistently though so if anyone wants more info let me know. I will probably hold off on hunting them for a couple years. I will say that this year I only saw lone javelinas for some reason. Last year on the rifle hunt I got one out of a big group.

I shot at 28y. Archery is a different beast! Makes rifle hunting seem easy though.

It ain't complicated. Don't be seen, herd, or smelled. Watch their eyes: if you can't see their eyes, they can't see you. Go slow. Take a step, reevaluate. Another step, another evaluate. Just because it's simple doesn't make it easy.

For me, I didn't have much cover, but it was dusk and they were feeding. The ground was sandy, which helped.

This made me think back several years ago.

While hunting a South Texas WMA (public draw) for deer, yotes, hogs, stink pigs and warthogs I had an issue with the stink pigs.

I had corned 3 roads as I had placed my stand on a T intersection. I had parked my truck over the hill of the longest road which I had corned from 100-500 yards. Upon leaving the truck at dark I knew I had about 50 stink pigs on the road and have seen this before. You can normally stomp you feet and throw a few rocks to move them into the brush. These guys weren't having any of that. I was stomping and throwing everything I had. They would literally form a gap in the road that would close up as I went buy. Occasionally one or two would be in the grass popping their teeth. That was a nervous walk back.

Here's a legendary clip from the old days of Texasbowhunter.com

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom