Javelina Q&A's

505Hunter

Hey Guys,

I have been on and off with Javelina hunting in New Mexico. I really want to go pig hunting because I have heard of how fun it is and the stories that go behind it.

I would like to know a little more about them and how they are hunting wise.

Where can I hunt them?

Are there an abundance of them here in New Mexico?

Are they mainly located down south or are there other areas around New Mexico that I can find them? (I am from ABQ, NM - so I would like something a little closer than the south but if I can get the time off from work and school I wouldn't mind taking the time to go down there)

Are they located only on private land or are they available on public as well?

Where are the most common areas for pig hunting down south?

I would also like to know more on feral pigs - I read that they are available year round and there is no license required. Where can I find them? Are they near down south as well? Or are there some across the state?

I don't know much on Javelina so any additional input will be helpful. I always see left over tags but never bought them because I know nothing on it. So I figured I would ask everyone on this site and see what they have to say.

Thanks for all the input.

Hey man, its Aaron. Did you get your apps in? As for your questions on javelina, yes the majority are down south. You can find pockets of them starting from the southern end of the Gila to the US/Mexico border. A friend of mine saw some just south of Deming at the base of the Florida Mountains, and I have seen them around Lordsburg. I did spend a couple of years working in those areas which had me spending a lot of time outside in their habitat and I have only seen them a handful of times.

I've seen javelinas as far north as the VLA. I never have been serious about hunting them though, it just seems like I accidentally stumble on some every other year.

Feral pigs are a different story--seems to be a mythological beast that I'm hoping to see sometime in my life but that doesn't really exist. If I ever do see one, I'm going to drop whatever I'm doing and go after it...

Aaron,
Yeah we got our apps in. Deer and elk again this year, the usual - and maybe a last minute hunt for some other species but who knows. What about you?
And I figured - most of the previous archived threads all point to down south. I just wanna know if it would be worth going after them.

Mozey,

I have only seen Javelina down in the Gila about 4 years ago. There were about 6 of them running through the brush.
I have had friends take them - but never have had umph to go out and try it. Not sure if it is worth it.

As for feral pigs - I have heard they are along the Pecos river somewhere down south. But I have also heard they are like the mysterious Tahr. Who knows - I see either one of them and I am making the stalk like a cavemen to bring em down. Even if that means knife and barehand. Ha ha

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom