Javelina questions?

quest

Very Active Member
If we harvest a Javelina, where is that sent gland located? I've been told to be careful when skinning not to cut into that gland. Can anyone inform me to where the location is? I can use any info on how you cook this meat. Its been stated to me that the meat isn't very good. Like to hear from any one on this subject.

The scent gland is on the back a few inches above the base of the tail. Just skin it like you would any other animal and the scent gland will come off with the skin. You won't have any problems.

I HAVE TRIED MANY WAYS TO EAT JAVELINA MEAT AND BY FAR THE BEST WAY IS CHORIZO. FOUR PEAKS DOES A REAL GOOD JOB PROCESSING AND MAKING THE CHORIZO. GOOD LUCK ON YOUR HUNT!

When I clean them I wear latex gloves and skin them out. Then change gloves and deal with the meat. That way everything is separate and clean. And trust me you will see the scent gland when you get up to them. Good luck on your hunt. And get a J13 javelina call if you don't already have one.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-19-08 AT 09:40PM (MST)[p]www.javelinahunter.com

check this out, lots of info.

Skin it and cut it up so it fits in a ice chest. pack it with ice for about 1-2 days keep draining the water and repacking with ice it takes the strong game taste out of it, Then put in a slow cooker with BBQ sauce. good luck.

hands down, chorizo. You definitely can't just chunk it on the grill like an elk steak. I buy my chorizo mix from eldonssausage.com. You mix it with vinegar and mix it into your ground meat. It's very good and easy to make.

I'll also chunk some up and put in the crock pot with a pouch of store bought taco seasoning and a beer. Cook all day and shred up for burritos, taco or enchiladas.

We cook them on the grill all the time they taste great to us. Every year we also pit bbque as well and thejavelina is usually the first to be eaten by everybody.

We have always boned them out and soaked in ice chest with ice water and a bunch of salt for 24 hours.It takes out strong taste along with blood.We do the same thing for quail.I just took mine down to Denmark sausage factory in Glendale and are getting sausage made.Some times I will pit barbeque or crock pot.The backsraps you can barbeque on the grill after marinating.

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom