Jessica's NWT Dall ram

Zeke

Long Time Member
LAST EDITED ON Aug-15-12 AT 09:12AM (MST)[p]Dear MM friends,

At the behest of good friends and in the spirit of sharing I'll post up a bit of our recent hunt in the NWT Canada.

I was thrilled when my oldest daughter won a Dall sheep hunt at the very first ever Full Curl Social. THANK YOU FCS!

It wasn't just any hunt, it was a hunt for Dall sheep with Arctic Red River Outfitters in NWT Canada! I was more than thrill because I have first-hand knowledge of this wonderful spot in the world with a previous outfitter. I was privileged to hunt there in 1981 and again in 1984 with my brother (before some of you were born). I also knew it was still a full backpack experience. It would be tough, long and dirty yet full of promise, thrills and freedom.

After travelling on 4 planes, over the course of 3 days, we were finally ready to start our backpack hunt. Jess would hunt sheep and her husband, Rusty, would hunt caribou. I would be a tag-a-long and grizzly protection/bait (maybe hunt caribou if time permitted). My wife put me in charge of keeping them safe. I guess I did my job since we're all home safely.

After a quick yet tough 3 days, we had passed on 2 rams which the guide would allow her to shoot. ARRO has a strict management/trophy rule based on 10 1/2 year old rams. We had also found our new "target" ram. We even started a stalk which was aborted when out route was blocked by smaller rams. We thought it best to relocate the ram the next day.

We were out of camp the following morning before 7am. The ram was relocated by 9am but he was moving around and a stalk route could not be planned until he bedded. The basin was huge and we knew we had to get close enough for a shot or the climb would be wasted. The route had to be planned carefully.

He finally bedded at 2pm and we were well into the tough climb when the wind shifted and yet another ram blocked our path. We had to pull all the way off the mountain and start over with our 3rd stalk on this ram.

This new route was steep and the footing was....well....poor. We were into the stalk for over 3 hours when we were almost to crest the highest pinnacle. Kent, the guide, would crawl up and locate the ram, range him, set up the pack for a shooting rest and all would go as planned, NOT.

As soon as Kent crested the ridge he turned back to us and was frantically waving us up the last few feet. So much for a nice calm, controlled shot.

As Jess wiggled up next to Kent, Rusty and I crawled up so we could see the show. The big ram was walking briskly AWAY at 421 yards. My heart was sinking lower with every step of the ram. Kent and I called out the range at the same time. Jess lined up on the ram and leaned into the mountain for a makeshift rest and the ram stopped. Kent asked Jess if she was comfortable with the shot. The answer was "yes" but the shot went just inches high. The ram ran a few steps before the echo rolled back and stopped the ram again. Everyone was excited but calm voices said "you were just high, he's 432, settle down". Boom, the second shot was true and the ram was down for good!

The ram sunk to the grassy slope then started to roll, then tumble, then cart wheeled into a rock chute and finally out of sight behind a rocky ridge. Perplexed, I didn't know how to feel. No one thought he would fall that far or that fast! We were ecstatic with the great ram and the fine shooting but the ram was last seen high off the ground and spinning headed head-over-heels into terrible terrain.

At the shot it was just after 7pm and it would be a full 3 hours before we located the ram and made our way to him. There was some damage but the cape, horns and meat were all intact. Lucky!

As we arrived at the regal ram we drew a ragged breath. It was an emotional time. I was so proud of what she had done to prepare for the hunt and the difficult days we'd enjoyed. And what a fine ram!

The ram did not disappoint. He was 11 1/2 years old and 38 1/2" X 35 1/2" but we never knew how long he was until we reached base camp after the hunt. None of us hunt with a tape in our packs, never have and never will. We just knew he looked really good to us and was plenty old to satisfy everyone. After skinning and deboning we headed for camp just after midnight. We arrived at 4:15am the following morning. Thank goodness for 24 hours of light! We never did use headlamps on the trip.

4 days and 2 camps after Jess shot her ram, Rusty hammered a great caribou at 250 yards which scored right at 432". The day that Rusty scored was a long one. We started hiking at 7am, passed on 4 other bulls and his caribou was finally down at 9pm with 1 well placed shot. After photos, and all the work we started trekking for camp. It was a difficult non-stop march until well after 5:30 am the following morning. OUCH! The trophy photos don't show evidence of all the difficulties but it was a glorious time for all. I love a tough hunt!

After a few hours sleep we decide that since we had all the caribou meat, cape antlers and camp, we'd better head back to the original drop off point especially since the hunt was essentially over. We'd only have the last day and a half of the hunt after we arrived back to our original camp. Our packs were heavy and the going was slow and it was punctuated with crossing the river 4 times.

The weather had been pretty good with just a little rain every day but on the last day it was bad. We decided that we should relax, stay close to the tents, work on the caribou cape and make a little push up river in the afternoon if the weather cleared. The weather moderated at 3pm and we loaded up some gear and started up the river.

By the time we arrived at a good glassing ridge we were literally surrounded by grizzly bears. At 9pm we decided to call it a day, get away from the bears and march the 2 ? miles to camp. All of the sudden there were 2 big caribou bulls! Kent thought the one on the left was a bit bigger but he said "both are shooters". After a running stalk, using pines for cover, I set up for the shot at about 240 yards and one shot was all it took. A perfect cherry on top of a perfect hunt!

In total we saw 5 grizzly bears, 3 wolves, 1 wolverine, 3 porcupines, 9 caribou bulls and over a dozen different Dall sheep rams! It was truly an epic adventure in some of the most pristine country in the world!

I hope by sharing our experience you can enjoy it with us!
Zeke

2686dscn0412.jpg

7623dscn0444.jpg

7051dscn0534.jpg

8145dscn0526.jpg

4437dscn0320.jpg

7589dscn0560.jpg

9047dscn0646.jpg

Great adventure and story. There really is something special about those mountain hunts. To do it with your daughter, simply awesome!!!!!

Thanks for sharing.

Excellent story and the pics are awesome. That is a beautiful ram and those caribou are huge also. It looks like you guys had the hunt of a lifetime.Thanks for sharing it with us. It gives people that are years away from doing a trip like this somthing to look forward to. Congrats to all of you.

Awesome story and hunt Zeke. Looks like you guys had a blast out there. Congrats on a fantastic hunt.

Eldorado

AWESOME ram and bulls Zeke....you are understandabily proud of your daughter and her GREAT ram....sorry i missed the text, ruined my day to think i missed just a couple days of getting to see the pics....CONGRADS to all 3 of you on a hunt you will always remember....

What a great story, and the pics are amazing! Congrats to both of you on your trophies! If I remember correctly you had to dump an African hunt for this hunt? If so, it looks like it was well worth it!!!!

LAST EDITED ON Aug-15-12 AT 12:13PM (MST)[p]Well done my friend!
An experience like that couldn't happen to a nicer or more deserving group of hunters. I love the father/daughter/son-in-law part. Absolutely nothing is better than hunting with your kids!
Great pics and story...definitely as good the in person version!

That country is amazing...perhaps some day I too can get back!

Good luck on your next adventure, guiding your wife to a fur ball goat with heavy black horns!

Zeke, you're a stud. thanks for passing that along. Great ram and bulls!

This is a tangent, but it looks like you had external frame (Jansport?) packs on that trip. I've been using an Osprey internal frame back for a while but sometimes I wonder if the old external fram packs are better.

Zeke...WOW, great ram, and at 430 yds. The rest was just a bonus. Congrats to our daughter.

from the "Heartland of Wyoming"

It don't get any better than that!! Thanks for the awesome thread!!

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

Zeek, Great story and great pictures!! I hope to make it back there someday.

My daughter is 12 and is going to hunt deer for the first time this year. I hope I can follow in your footsteps and turn her into a sheep hunter someday.

Jessica, congratulations on a great trophy!! And to you kyle and your son-in-law congratulations also. Tell your son-in-law that he is in trouble for not getting the tip to the guide that I sent. Just kidding, I hope he uses it and uses it well. You guys did very well and had a great adventure.

Thank you all for the kind words. It really was something special and I'm pleased to share it with you guys.

oneaway, yes. I had to dump an African trip to have the time and money to go.

gznokes, Good eye, that is a new reto pack that my son-in-law is using but it's a genuine antique that I used. I just rebuilt about everything on my pack including adding a rifle carrier. I bought it in 1976 and it had been to the NWT three times now. The external frame works better for me when weights exceed 60lbs.

Ultra, The knife was so nice that my daughter just had to keep it. Thanks for such a nice custom built knife. I love all of them that you've built for me and the kids. Guides would rather have cash anyway I suppose.

Thanks again for the interest and the nice remarks guys!
Zeke

Old backpack for an old man!
Believe me when I say it's a whole lot heavier than it looks!

5923dscn0521.jpg

Zeke- Congrats to jessica and you on an amazing hunt and memories for a lifetime. Be sure to post up some pics of the mounts when you get them back. What are the plans for the sheep? Full body I sure hope.

The plans were for a lifesize mount on the ram but there was much more damage from the fall than I lead on. Some of one back leg and most of the butt on the other side was missing. All 4 legs were broken in multiple places and just hanging on by a thread. We're luck to get what we got though. When I said the cape was OK I meant the front half was OK. There's a big cut on the lip but it can be fixed. We spent an hour getting him cleaned up and posed for photos.
We had no clue the ram would fall like that. I try to be sensitive of fall/retrieval issues on game animals but maybe in our haste we overlooked what was coming. I still feel we got lucky on this one. He could have hung up in the rock chute and we'd still be weaving a rope to climb to him!
Zeke

This photo is of the bottom 25% of the rock chute. I'm glad her ram came all the way down or it might have been a challenge to retrieve it.

4034dscn0291.jpg

Zeke,
The way you were limping last week, I am guessing you just hopped off that cliff!

And, how does one get Ultra to come up with guide gifts? My last knife cost me a Colorado deer tag! JK Bob!
I left my favorite cutting tool somewhere on the plains of Wyoming, so I guess I best order another one!

Still lovin the pics of the NWT!

LBH,

Ultra didn't come up with the guide's gift, I DID by paying Ultra for the build job on a sweet knife. Jess decided to keep the knife so I just paid Ultra and paid the guide more cash instead of cash and the knife as a tip.
Hell, I lost out all the way around on that deal. The money is gone, even more money is gone and I don't have the knife! I should have just stayed home! LOL

Thanks again guys for all the support and interest in Jess' hunt.

Zeke

Awesome story and pics Zeke!!!!! Nothing better than to share your life's loves with the loved ones in your life. Great sheep and Bou and great job on getting everyone home safe.
BB

Thanks again you guys for the nice comments. We got really lucky with the whole hunt.

HarryHunter; as the kids would say "that shovel is sick" which means good, I think.

We had hiked so far away from camp that the guide said we will NOT shoot a caribou back in this far "no matter what". His tune changed as soon as he saw the "sick" front-end with the massive shovel and split bez tines. He snapped his head around and with wild eyes he said "we're going to kill THAT bull". I was so happy for Rusty! The rest is history (coupled with a butt-load of work until 5:30am the next morning).

Thanks all,
Zeke

Zeke To bad to hear about all the damage from the fall. No matter it will still be an amazing mount with memories to last the lifetime!! Congrats again and good luck this season.

Zeke you're a blessed man but I'll bet you've already figured that out...congratulations to you and your family. When those knees will no longer carry you up those mountains your heart and soul will surely be full of the memories you've shared with those you love. I'm really happy for you man!

Laus Deo
Bret

Congratulations to all of you!!
A good buddy of mine has been to Arctic Red River 4 times and has had fantastic hunt each time. When I get the money, I want to be there. :)
Thank you for posting and sharing this and congrats again!

Lien2

Congrats on a great hunt and taking some great trophys. Looks like it was a lot of hard work and a lot of fun.

Well written story, nice blow-by-blow. Really enjoyed the pictures too, but I think the overall family theme is pretty sweet. Congrats to all.

Zeke!...Outstanding report, photos, and trophy's...Congratulations to all of you on a very successful and rewarding adventure!

LAST EDITED ON Sep-28-12 AT 01:09PM (MST)[p]Duke,
You are my hero, but Jessica is catching up on you rapidly! Nice job on the pics and stories.now where are the goat pics and stories?

What a hunt!! Congats to both of you! Great hunt, great story and awesome trophies! Thanks for the post!

LAST EDITED ON Oct-06-12 AT 10:28PM (MST)[p]Zeke,
Looks like you guys had a great time up there. I seen Jess's ram a day or two after the phone pic hit the airways from my daughter-in-law, but was waiting for the story. Looks like you and Rusty did ok too.

I forgot how beautiful that country is until I seen your pics. Great job.

When will the Uinta billy be hitting the ground?

"I hate being bi-polar.....Its awesome"

Thanks again guys and gals for all the kind words. We had a trip of a lifetime!

Glass_eye,
That's a pile of great old packs! I like your tan one. Nice hunting color.

The old Jansport packs are getting rare. There are probably thousands just hanging in garages since being replaced by newer, sexier models. They're hard to beat when you need to freight a heavy load.

Thanks again,
Zeke

Zeke,
Your stories, hunts, and pictures never fail amaze me. Congrats to you and your family. I can't speak for everyone but I believe that many of us live vicariously through you. Anything in the plans for the 2013 season? Thanks again for sharing the tremendous story.

3tags,
Thanks for the remarks but I don't set myself on a pedestal. I just try to do my thing and have been blessed and very lucky!

If the hunting Gods smile on us we'll have a pretty good year in 2013. My son should have a Ut desert sheep tag, I should have a Wyo moose tag and my bro should have a LE Ut elk tag. If all 3 tags come our way we'll be plenty busy. If none of these tags fall our way we'll still get out and chase general deer, general elk and some birds. Hard to beat that anyway! It's all hunting!

Best to you,
Zeke

Does 3tags have a "man crush" on you Zeke? LOL

Having all those hunt possibilities does make winter go by a little bit faster! Good luck on the draws to you, and yours.

LOL. I doubt that's what it is.

He is a fellow sheep NUT.

He went on a couple great desert sheep hunts last Fall with a couple excellent young men. I hope he shares the story with our MM brothers.

Zeke

LOL....Not bad LBH. Nothing wrong with giving a little sh$t after a post like mine. In so many words, I was saying that I'd love to be a part of some of that thin horn action!

3tags,
Zeke's head won't much fit through the door anyway, so I was just trying to get his focus back on reality! Besides, he fully expects razzberries from me.
If you are going to have a "huntin man crush" Zeke is a decent target. (He is a fine hunting companion, but he ain't that much to look at)!

I feel your thin horn craving! Hopefully your future fortune will satisfy that itch!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom