Jicarilla vs Mescalero Apache for hunting

Hello everyone! For those of y’all who have hunted the Jicarilla and the Mescalero Apaches, which do ya’ll prefer to hunt? As far as the guide situation and just the overall hunt experience. Thanks!

I lived in Alamogordo for 20 years and know the surrounding area quite well. I’ve never done a guided hunt. I take it you’re hunting Bull Elk? One thing I do know is you’re going to pay big money to get a big bull off the Mescalero Reservation. You can get the same quality bull at a much reduced price if you can draw Unit 34. Good luck.

Cow hunts are what he's referring to. We had a great experience with the Jicarilla, wondering about Mescalero. I may check in with a guy I know - Steve - I bet he knows something on it.

For a cow, anyone on the guide list for the Jic will suffice. They're all related to one another in some fashion and they all know where the cows are...

Last edited:
Either place would be a slam dunk for Cows. The cool thing about the Jic would be to get to see a few Gagger Muley bucks while you’re out looking for a Cow in December (I think that’s when they run those hunts).

You can kill cows all day long in just about every elk hunting country New Mexico has to offer. I know it’s more difficult for you out of staters to land a tag nowadays but if you could apply for any one of those surrounding units and get drawn you could easily go on a do it yourself hunt and have great success in my opinion. Good luck on your hunts.

You can kill cows all day long in just about every elk hunting country New Mexico has to offer. I know it’s more difficult for you out of staters to land a tag nowadays but if you could apply for any one of those surrounding units and get drawn you could easily go on a do it yourself hunt and have great success in my opinion. Good luck on your hunts.
One thing to consider, if he’s a Non-res, the only way to get a Cow tag in NM is with a LO Tag, since my home state decided that all Cow tags should go to Residents. Considering the price of LO tags, might as well hunt the Rez and have a slam dunk hunt.

One thing to consider, if he’s a Non-res, the only way to get a Cow tag in NM is with a LO Tag, since my home state decided that all Cow tags should go to Residents. Considering the price of LO tags, might as well hunt the Rez and have a slam dunk hunt.
Thanks for educating me, I wasn’t aware of that.

And no suppressors on the Rez. Found that out on cow hunt at the Lodge at Chama in December.

I hunted the Jicarilla back in ‘99 for bulls. It was very accessible country and there were elk everywhere. It was definitely fun seeing the giant bucks as well. I wouldn’t hesitate to go back.

Good luck to your friend.

And, another thing about hunting the Jic for cows. It's road hunting at it's finest. You can drive anywhere and everywhere your guide chooses to take you. You will literally shoot off the hood of the truck.

At least that's how it was the last time I did it in '06 or '07.

And, another thing about hunting the Jic for cows. It's road hunting at it's finest. You can drive anywhere and everywhere your guide chooses to take you. You will literally shoot off the hood of the truck.

That’s what I meant by accessible! It would be a very easy cow hunt!

Man I love putting meat in the freezer like the next guy, I’m just to a point in my life where I don’t have to do it like when I was younger. To me hunting is getting away from town and the house for a week or two, setting up camp, cutting firewood, scouting country, eating good and sitting around the camp fire telling stories. We don’t have televisions or radios, just the camaraderie of your our camp mates. Good luck on your hunts.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom