Job Ideas?

hubba_3

LAST EDITED ON Aug-07-12 AT 02:57PM (MST)[p]So maybe this is a little bit of a different question, but I am 20 years old and I am just thinking about what I want to do in this life for a career ha. I'm really into the outdoors and I have thought a little bit about getting some type of job for Fish and Wildlife Services or BLM or something like that... I'm not too familiar about the jobs that are out there, but maybe you guys can help me out...
What are some of the jobs that I could look into?
What kind of schooling would I need to get for that career (I am still planning on being in college for at least 3 more years)?
What are some things that a wildlife biologist does?

I just really enjoy being in the outdoors a lot so it would only make sense to get a job where I can spend time outside, right? If I have to have a "desk job" for 30 years I might go crazy ha.

Any ideas??
Thanks!

Some outdoors jobs will restrict you from utilizing the outdoors like you want. For example, if you want to be a game warden, don't plan on much hunting or fishing time of your own. I know one fellow that does a lot of work for the department of ag that gets him outside, but it also restricts time off in the fall. Just saying, don't rule out other jobs that may afford the income and/or flexibility to allow your to enjoy the outdoors in the balance. I have a desk job, but it allows me hunt a bit and flexibility to be involved in my kids' lives, attend most of their school activities, etc... Try to assess all of your priorities and wants as they may be now and in the coming years and make sure you don't sacrifice too much of some for others. Some of what we love we can find in our work, other things will be outside of work.

Its good to see you thinking about these things at your age.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-07-12 AT 04:29PM (MST)[p]Thanks for the reply...
I got an answer like this on a different site... So I am really starting to think about that and maybe some job in the outdoors isnt the best idea cuz it seems like it will take up so much time that I wont be able to hunt now... Thats not what i want...for example, my bro just got a new job at the Scheels Sports store in SLCC as the archery guy, and it seems like it will be a great job, but i am also thinking that he is never going to be able to get out of town during archery season since that is the busiest time of the year... so lots of things to think about... Thanks for the info tho...
But just another question, what other jobs should I look into? Something that will make a decent living, but I will also have enough time to get out of town and go to the mountains or spend time with family, etc....? What are some ideas?

Look for a listing of the most sought after college graduates. I have seen them on Yahoo, etc. Those jobs are in high demand, hence high pay and more than likely more time off! Hunting is an expensive, and time consuming hobby!

I'm one of those poor saps with a wildlife management degree stuck behind a computer pushing paper............

My advice to everyone who will listen is to "go get a real job so you can afford your passions. Don't try and make your passions your livelihood!"

I should have got an MBA or gone to dental school or into construction management......... so I could afford a little 10 acre piece somewhere to build a home on with horses and 4H pigs and all that fun stuff. Game Wardens and Biologists spend all fall listening to fat guys on 4-wheelers that drive the roads all day and whine about not seeing any deer. Not my idea of a good time............. when I should be hunting!!!

Just my $.02........................

What are your talents and abilities? Focus on those talents to help you decide on a carreer. I am an Industrial Lead Mechanic for Kelloggs. I work a 2-2-3 schedule, (2 on 2 off 3 on 2 off, etc. 12 hour days) I don't like the hours because they end up being 13 hour days and I sometimes have to work my days off. However, I have a wife and 3 kids and I make enough to where my wife does not have to work. I have been with the company long enough to where I have a month of vacation and good benefits. I can afford to go hunting, camping and pursue all the outdoor passions that I enjoy off of this job. I also have a side job that I do on my own when I want a little extra cash for my outdoor activities.

Whatever you do, plan your career based on future goals such as marraige, kids, what you want to live in and where. Your doing the right thing by asking those who have been down that road and are still on it. Use your talents to gain your financial freedom that will allow you to pursue your outdoor passions.

PLEASE don't Tell My Mommy I work in the Oilfield!

She thinks I'm a Piano Player in a Fallon Nevada WhoreHouse!

[font color=red size=redsize=18"face"]SHOW THEM TO ME![/font]
If You Love Your Country,SHOW THEM TO ME!

I've got Wild Honey Tree's and Crazy Little Weeds growin around my Shack!
These Dusty Roads ain't streets of gold but I'm happy right where I'm at!
All these Perty little Western Belles are a Country Boys Dream!
They ain't got Wings or MM Halo's but they sure look good to me!

Go find a job,(or create it) that makes you a lot of money allowing you to do what you love (sounds simple huh). My experience is that you are going to put in the time for these types of positions, whether it is working your way up, building your own business (which I believe everyone should have at least one)or going to school. Might as well be smart and do it early in life when things are not complicated with family.
By the way, my lawyer friends say to be a dentist...

Geology.

No seasonal BS. Never waiting for something to grow, die, go into the rut, migrate, eat, drink........you see where this is going?

You still get to be "out amongst it", but there is little sense of urgency.......except for earthquakes and volcanos.

Pay can be great and there will be limitless opportunity if you pick a direction like fossil fuel research or environmental impact.

"I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and
sh!t a better argument than that!"

+1 Ihuntelk

Get a job in the medical field. They have the best schedules. Respiratory Therapists, Radiology techs, and Nurses work only three days a week and some only twice a week and still make a good living.
If you want an advanced degree (Masters or Doctorate) do the Nurse Practitioner, Physicians Assistant or Certified Nurse Anesthetist. THey all make really good money without working a ton!

i once had a someone say dont do a job you love cause you will learn to hate it.....

i always thought being a guide would be a blast. but i found out its mostly being a babysitter...

I'd go for the money over a job I "loved" to do. Cause when it hits the fan what you love to do becomes a damn job. Then it isn't fun anymore and you have no escape. The outdoors becomes your job, then where do you go to get away from it??

I'd become a pharmacist or an engineer if you're inclined to the sciences. If you're not that adverse to risk, start your own business and work your a@@ off to build it up till you don't have to do the work. Then you will have the luxury of being able to get outdoors

The voices in my head may not be real, but they have
some good ideas!

Choosing a career is difficult. The medical field will always be around if the human body interests you. I'm currently in school to become a pharmacist. Descent career but expensive to get in to. I will be graduating with a little over 200 G's in loan debt :( which is a downer. It will be interesting how the field will change with the new laws.

I have some friends that are finishing up with geology. That does get them in the outdoors some and doesn't restrict you like a game warden would.

In the end I would choose something that you like to LEARN about. If I didn't like physiology and chemistry no way would I push myself to pass the classes, even if the pay in the career was good.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-07-12 AT 11:09PM (MST)[p]Best job for a guy that likes to hunt is a fireman (which I am not). Good $, lots of time off.

Do your own thing, your own business preferably over the Internet. Once you have it making money you'll have loads of free time and the cash to do what you want to do.

>LAST EDITED ON Aug-07-12
>AT 02:57?PM (MST)

>
>So maybe this is a little
>bit of a different question,
>but I am 20 years
>old and I am just
>thinking about what I want
>to do in this life
>for a career ha. I'm
>really into the outdoors and
>I have thought a little
>bit about getting some type
>of job for Fish and
>Wildlife Services or BLM or
>something like that... I'm not
>too familiar about the jobs
>that are out there, but
>maybe you guys can help
>me out...
>What are some of the jobs
>that I could look into?
>
>What kind of schooling would I
>need to get for that
>career (I am still planning
>on being in college for
>at least 3 more years)?
>
>What are some things that a
>wildlife biologist does?
>
>I just really enjoy being in
>the outdoors a lot so
>it would only make sense
>to get a job where
>I can spend time outside,
>right? If I have to
>have a "desk job" for
>30 years I might go
>crazy ha.
>
>Any ideas??
>Thanks!
Air Traffic Control. Schooling is not as intense as you would think, pay is awesome. No more than 10 hour days, no more than 6 days a week. Can be stressful at times, especially when you make a mistake, but it is also one of the most fun and exciting jobs you can have.

Do what you love man....I finally manned up and went after what I love and couldn't be happier. Got a range science degree and some graduate school. Now I am a biologist that focus is on habitat restoration. I get more than enough time off, love what I do, and make a living.

Advice................strongly consider graduate school and get a job with the feds if money is a big part of your decision.

>LAST EDITED ON Aug-07-12
>AT 11:09?PM (MST)

>
>Best job for a guy that
>likes to hunt is a
>fireman (which I am not).
> Good $, lots of
>time off.

+1

HUBBA......I WAS A FIREMAN FOR 30 YEARS, IT GIVES YOU MEGA TIME OFF FOR HUNTING & FISHING. MONEY WAS EXCELLENT, BENEFITS GREAT, RETIRED A 49. CITY OR RURAL FIREMAN WONT MATTER MUCH......YOUR OUT DOORS A BUNCH.

NOT A TON OF COLLEGE EITHER, IT WAS GREAT FOR ME.......YD !!!

>
> HUBBA......I WAS A
>FIREMAN FOR 30 YEARS, IT
>GIVES YOU MEGA TIME OFF
>FOR HUNTING & FISHING.
> MONEY WAS EXCELLENT, BENEFITS
>GREAT, RETIRED A 49.
> CITY OR RURAL FIREMAN
>WONT MATTER MUCH......YOUR OUT DOORS
>A BUNCH.
>
> NOT
>A TON OF COLLEGE EITHER,
>IT WAS GREAT FOR ME.......YD
>!!!

.....and the producers can work till 90 to pay for it...

No offense YD....it's not your fault.

JB
497fc2397b939f19.jpg

Sorry if this is long but I am going try to answer each of your questions to my current knowledge.
I was in your same position a while back and had to rethink what I really wanted in a career. I too didn't want to spend the rest of my life strapped in front of a computer. So, my decision was to earn a degree in wildlife biology and become a wildlife biologist. I don't regret my decision.
1. Some fields to look into include wildlife management, habitat or range management, law enforcement, public relations, aquatic management, and even fire management.
I have had experience in all these fields and I think any of them can be satisfying careers.
2. Degrees needed for wildlife, aquatic, and range biologist positions are at least BS in biology or in specific natural resource areas. Then if you want a decent paying job you NEED an MS in ecology or biology. Plus having lots of quality work experience is needed. Half the work is getting your foot in the door. At this point I would try to get a tech job for a agency or a graduate student.
3. Wildlife biologists have many duties and it depends greatly on their area of expertise. Some of the positive duties include doing aerial population surveys, harvest check stations, transplant projects (Very Rare), and dealing with nuisance wildlife. Plus remember you will work hand in hand with other departments including habitat and law enforcement. Some not so fun things include extensive meetings, creating population models, and paper work. Being a biologist sounds like a 90% outdoor job but its not. It varies with your ambition but I would say you would spend just as much time indoors as outdoors. Lastly you will have to deal with frustrated public most days of the year and that can be stressful or entertaining depending on the people.
4. I have had several colleagues tell me they wish they had more time for hunting and fishing but I think you can still work for wildlife and still enjoy the outdoors. One way to do this is if you want time to hunt I suggest going into habitat or aquatic management. This is because the fall is less busy in these departments.
Finally as a employee of the government you will never be paid as much as the private sector, you will have many very stressful people to deal with, and will have a huge work load most a lot of the time. The wildlife field is not a easy going career. You will have to be determined, passionate, patient, have a impeccable work ethic, and mostly you need a deep grasp of the importance of wildlife. However in my opinion working out in the wild part of the time outshines all the negative aspects.
Hope that helps.
PM me if you have any more questions.

Go into the Military---(US Navy of course!)

Server our country---

Get your GI Bill benefits---

Go to college as much as ya can while in the Military---

Finish up your degree using your GI Bill when ya get off your tour of duty.....

By the time you are 30----

You are living your dream and making good money too.

Robb

i was like you a few years ago. started school and decided to bail on the working for the dwr blm etc. i found that pay is generally low, its hard to get into jobs especially good paying ones. I decdided to choose a career that would allow me to hunt and have time and money for that kind of stuff on my free time. im now going for accounting. im hoping to get into tax accounting. my busy time of year would be spring and id misss out on shed hunting a lot but i would have much more free time for hunting in the fall. and i can make good money that would allow me to do some good out of state hunts everyyear. accounting is not for everyone. in fact i took a career decisions class to see what my interests and personality was best suited for. it gave me some good ideas to look at.

my younger brother is just finishing his wildlife biology degree and has been working for blm as a range tech. he gets to be outdoors has the opprotunity for lots of time off, the range guys dont have to worry about whiny hunters,and range techs dont have to be in the feild during hunting seasons. all that range stuff isnt something that has to be done asap. he loves his job, and while working he has found an entire pickup load of sheds over the summer, and his boss actually encourages it. good luck in your search.

As a general rule, "don't make your hobby your job". I raced a lot of motocross so I naturally though being a bike mechanic made sense.

I'm glad I listened to my dad when he passed on those words of wisdom.

I'm a mechanical engineer now but I get adequate time off to "reset" in the woods.

You will have a family most likely one day, so what is cool now won't be then. I have a family member who is in forest inventory for the feds. When he was young and single it was the coolest job in the world, live on the road, live on the mountain, hike in some really cool places. Now he has kids, is gone way too much, hitting the dreaded mid thirties(yes your body will not like hiking for a living some day), etc., etc. Find a job that pays good enough, that you can stand, then enjoy your hobby. Other than gov. jobs, your most likely going to get the fun of changing careers at least once like the rest of us "adults", thanks Obama!!

I worked with my dad for 15 years, I don't remember many of those days, but I remember all the hunting trips. The second you HAVE to be there, your "dream job" becomes a job.

When they came for the road hunters I was not one so I said nothing. When they came for the oppurtunists I was not one so I said nothing. When they came for the public land hunters I was not one so I said nothing. When they came for me there was no one left to say anything!

>i was like you a few
>years ago. started school and
>decided to bail on the
>working for the dwr blm
>etc. i found that pay
>is generally low, its hard
>to get into jobs especially
>good paying ones. I decdided
>to choose a career that
>would allow me to hunt
>and have time and money
>for that kind of stuff
>on my free time. im
>now going for accounting. im
>hoping to get into tax
>accounting. my busy time of
>year would be spring and
>id misss out on shed
>hunting a lot but i
>would have much more free
>time for hunting in the
>fall. and i can make
>good money that would allow
>me to do some good
>out of state hunts everyyear.
>accounting is not for everyone.
>in fact i took a
>career decisions class to see
>what my interests and personality
>was best suited for. it
>gave me some good ideas
>to look at.

I hope like HELL you get that accounting Job!

One less JACK-TARD on a f'n Quad to contend with during Shed season!

[font color=red size=redsize=18"face"]SHOW THEM TO ME![/font]
If You Love Your Country,SHOW THEM TO ME!

I've got Wild Honey Tree's and Crazy Little Weeds growin around my Shack!
These Dusty Roads ain't streets of gold but I'm happy right where I'm at!
All these Perty little Western Belles are a Country Boys Dream!
They ain't got Wings or MM Halo's but they sure look good to me!

>>i was like you a few
>>years ago. started school and
>>decided to bail on the
>>working for the dwr blm
>>etc. i found that pay
>>is generally low, its hard
>>to get into jobs especially
>>good paying ones. I decdided
>>to choose a career that
>>would allow me to hunt
>>and have time and money
>>for that kind of stuff
>>on my free time. im
>>now going for accounting. im
>>hoping to get into tax
>>accounting. my busy time of
>>year would be spring and
>>id misss out on shed
>>hunting a lot but i
>>would have much more free
>>time for hunting in the
>>fall. and i can make
>>good money that would allow
>>me to do some good
>>out of state hunts everyyear.
>>accounting is not for everyone.
>>in fact i took a
>>career decisions class to see
>>what my interests and personality
>>was best suited for. it
>>gave me some good ideas
>>to look at.
>
>
>I hope like HELL you get
>that accounting Job!
>
>One less JACK-TARD on a f'n
>Quad to contend with during
>Shed season!
>
>[font color=red size=redsize=18"face"]SHOW THEM TO ME![/font]
>
>If You Love Your Country,SHOW THEM
>TO ME!
>
>
>I've got Wild Honey Tree's and
>Crazy Little Weeds growin around
>my Shack!
>These Dusty Roads ain't streets of
>gold but I'm happy right
>where I'm at!
>All these Perty little Western Belles
>are a Country Boys Dream!
>
>They ain't got Wings or MM
>Halo's but they sure look
>good to me!
>

hahah good one sttm! i hope i get it too more time tearin up the mountains in the fall on the ol quad! imagine how many new trails i can make if i have a bunch of free time during the fall!

i dont care what the other guys say about ya sttm i like ya. even if ya are a grumpy ol no tag drawin chevy drivin dipshiz.

Best advise I ever had - find out what you want to do in life then find a job that will let you do it. If there is an area where you want to live, go there and find a job. As you grow older things will get better if you work at it.

Look into electricity, electical engineer lineman substation tech meter tech or transformer tech staking tech or engineer. i am a meter tech for a company in southern utah i work a 4-10 schedual off on fridays plenty of vacation time make good money and great benefits. i am always outside. i am home alot not always on call and i can pick and choose the days i work outside or in. plus people are always going to need power. the company i work for has 3 national parks a national monument (zion, bryce canyon, grand canyon and the grand staircase) and covers the boulder, fishlake, dutton, monroe, panguitch lake, cedar mountain, the paunsagaunt, arizona strip and the kiabab look for companys like that and you'll always enjoy it. Oh and i also guide on the side once i build my vacation up to max it will allow me to take a little more then 3 months a year off if i absolutly needed too but for guiding 1 month a year is enough for me so that extra 400 hours is more for emergencies and vacation. I am 25 years old and had 4 years of schooling

www.hightopoutfitters.com

I had a co-worker who grew up in a rural area of Idaho. So I was a little surprised that he didn't hunt. When I asked him why, since everyone there hunts, he explained that his dad was the town butcher. During hunting season, he was always busy helping his dad process game.

>
> HUBBA......I WAS A
>FIREMAN FOR 30 YEARS, IT
>GIVES YOU MEGA TIME OFF
>FOR HUNTING & FISHING.
> MONEY WAS EXCELLENT, BENEFITS
>GREAT, RETIRED A 49.
> CITY OR RURAL FIREMAN
>WONT MATTER MUCH......YOUR OUT DOORS
>A BUNCH.
>
> NOT
>A TON OF COLLEGE EITHER,
>IT WAS GREAT FOR ME.......YD
>!!!

YD, pm sent...

Get a career that pays alot of money. Pharmacist, insurance, etc.....If I could go back and do things over, that's what I'd do.

Then learn how to invest and grow your money. Don't trust your money to someone else.

The sad truth about hunting is that it takes some money to be successful on a regular basis. If you put all of your eggs in one general utah deer tag a year it will not pay off no matter how much time you spend in on the mountain.
It takes a lot of revenue to be able just to apply for points in other states every year.
Wyoming alone is about a $300.00 an no tag
Nevada 200.00
Colorado The best bet for your money but you have to send it all in. Meaning that you have to have some in the bank to do it.
New mexico the same
Arizona is better than it used to be but 130 up front and then fees
Then if you want a nice 4 wheeler 5000 used
A truck to get around
Gas will be one of the most expensive things coming up
gun binos ect. it all adds up to $$$$$$$$$$$$$

Go to school. Find something that interests you and look at the job market for it .

I'm in the medical field.

I Work 3-4 days a week if you group them together you work 6 on and 8 off.

I am hated by a lot of those 8-5 5 days a week and 2 weeks of vacation guys.

The pay is good and like the electrical guy said, they always need electricity.
There are always going to be sick people.
There is my soapbox

JRED

You need to start with understanding your strengths and weaknesses and then prioritize.

Lots of good ideas, especially if you are interested in getting to a point where you can have an opportunity for early retirement and flexible schedules. Firefighter, healthcare, Peace Officer(Cop, Deputy, Corrections, Etc), Utility Co's, etc.

Unless you are really self-motivated, extremely hard working, AND a risk taker, be careful about the self-employed idea. For the right personalities there is no other way, but it is 1-2% of self-employed that really can get away from their business and/or have significant financial resources. I say this having been a banker for 20 years and working exclusively with 100's of small business owners.

Good Luck.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom