Jogger fights off timber wolf attack

W

Wyomingben

SASKATOON -- A man's evening jog became a struggle for his life in northern Saskatchewan when a timber wolf lunged at his head and sank its teeth into his leg. But Fred Desjarlais, 55, was able to fight off several attacks by the large predator and then wrestled it into submission long enough for a busload of co-workers to arrive and scare the beast away.

"I don't know what came over me or how I did it," Desjarlais said from his Saskatoon home where he was recuperating. "All I know is I had his head and I wasn't letting go until someone came to help me."

Desjarlais works for Cameco Corp.'s uranium milling facility in Key Lake, about 640 kilometres north of Saskatoon. He had just finished his shift at 7 p.m. New Year's Eve, and decided to jog the three kilometres back to camp instead of catching the shuttle bus, when he was attacked.

At one point, he and the wolf were face to face as the beast reared on its hind legs and looked down at him, he said.

"He had a big mouth and a big head," Desjarlais recalled.

"It was a bad attack -- it bit him twice really badly -- but Fred's a remarkable man," said Kimm Barker, Cameco's Key Lake safety officer. "It wasn't a very smart wolf because of all the people it could have picked, it chose one of the strongest."

Desjarlais was already into his run when he heard something and glanced back to see the animal creep out of the ditch and walk toward him.

"He was taunting me, (walking) in a circle around me. I looked around real quick and thought, 'I hope he's alone.' "

Desjarlais hollered and tried to scare the animal off, but it lunged at his head. He jumped to the side and dodged, but the wolf came back.

"That's when I knew he meant business," said Desjarlais, who eluded a second lunge. But the wolf quickly spun around and bit into his shoulder.

Desjarlais was wearing several layers of clothing which prevented the bite from breaking the skin, but it did leave significant bruising. The wolf then turned its attention to his lower body and bit him twice in the pelvis.

Both man and beast fell over and got back up. When his chance came again, Desjarlais locked onto the wolf's back, threw his arms around the animal's head and put it in a headlock.

"I pulled him down the way you would take down cattle (for roping) and I dropped onto his head, pinning him there," said Desjarlais, who held on for about 30 to 40 seconds before co-workers returning to camp on the bus spotted the pair.

"He was pretty much at the end of his string. His strength was draining," said Barker.

too bad he was not packing a handgun for defense, would have made short work of that wolf. Oops ! I forgot, this happen in Canada, citizens are not trusted to pack handguns for defense.

RELH

You hear of close calls or wolves stalking humans but you never hear of one actually attacking a person. He must have been a lone wolf because usually they won't travel alone or attack anything without the pack. I quess the wolf should have thought twice about this one.

RELH,
You're a little misinformed there. Miners, forestry workers and several other "at risk" occupations can legally pack sidearms in Canada. I have had many co-workers over the years that have legally packed. I personally don't. If I'm working in some serious grizzly country I am more comfortable packing my Defender or better yet my 300 Win Mag. :)

As for the wolf attack, it is more common than the liberal media lets on.

069729.gif

LAST EDITED ON Jan-09-05 AT 05:56PM (MST)[p]BCBOY,

Can you keep your guns and ammo at home? I heard one time Canadians have to keep there guns at an armory and had to "check them out to go hunting" or is that a bunch of BS.

WB

WB,
You musta heard an urban legand. LOL! What we've been fighting here is the Billion dollar Gun registry. We all still have our guns. Many many of which are not registered. :)
069729.gif

BCboy;

It apears that I have received bad information concerning handguns in Canada. I have been under the impression that they were highly restricted in most parts of Canada. I am aware of the law that required firearms to be registered, which is the first step to seizure as the Aussies found out. Keep up the fight and hopefully elect people that might show to be more pro gun.

RELH

So they pick on you. They must like you to give you so much attension. Even if it is all negative.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-15-05 AT 09:54AM (MST)[p]What's a jogger here and there? If you jog long enough you are gonna lose a few! :) I am more worried about the 10,000 elk and who knows how many deer we are losing to the wolves. :-(

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom