JP's BIG VV BULL!

lionking

LAST EDITED ON Oct-23-12 AT 12:04PM (MST)[p]This was ONLY my son JP?s second time putting in for the youth elk hunt for the famous Valle Vidal unit. To our surprise he drew and this was the greatest news to my eyes when I saw the SUCCESSFUL and the following hunt code. My son was going to have the opportunity to redeem myself and good friend and hunting partner Dino (which I met on our 2004 bow hunt in the VV). I and Dino both ate the all but bitter tag soup in 2004 and my son?s Redemption Bull of 2012 tasted much better.

My son plays YAFL football and our time scouting was non-existent. Thanks to the many people that gave insight to where to hunt. Funny thing is, I had so many places (too many) that I said I would make an effort to check out. The hunting changes quick when actually in the field. My first swing at getting my son on a bull was a total strike out. We did not hear a single bugle, we seen some elk a great distance away. We decided to continue higher in hopes of bumping into some elk?No Dice. Elk win this match.

My good friend Ernest was guiding another youth hunter and he informed me that he located a lot of elk activity and our hunting party was welcomed to hunt in the same area that evening. We took this opportunity and made a game plan in order not to step on each other?s toes. My brother spotted the elk coming out of the timber, high up the mountain. There seemed to be a nice bull in the herd so my son said he wanted to check it out. The wind was very erratic and changing directions. The bull was bugling and pushing cows, I needed to get JP closer but they were on the move. I got JP set up and the bull stepped out away from the cows. The bull was about 300 yards and JP took a shot and missed. JP shot again before the herd moved over the top of the mountain and missed. I was confident in JP?s ability to shoot out to 300 yards because we have practiced. It was very exciting and nerve racking. We worked our way to the top where the bull elk was but found no blood, while walking around scanning the area we ended up bumping the same herd.

We took pursuit because I knew they would be crossing an old burn. By the time we got to the burned area the elk were heading over the top of the other side of the saddle. We got set up for a shot but I was estimating the distance at about 400 yards with a major crosswind. Basically, we just watched the elk move along and had a good look at the bull and he was not hit and the bull was a big boy! Oh well, Elk win the second match too. That didn't last for long.

As we sat there watching the herd move over the top, another elk herd was bugling up a storm right below us. I moved JP to a better position and set up for the show. Elk were pouring into the valley below us and we had front row seats. The bull elk were bugling and pushing cows right to our set up. There were about nine bulls, mostly small bulls, working and pushing this herd of about 50 cows. I finely spotted a 6x6 bull that was worthy of shooting, especially knowing that we were about 3 miles and a big ridge to cross from the truck.

The bull finally showed himself and he had some major swagger to him. He ripped up a tree and had a big pine tree branch hanging from his front antlers. The bull tried several times to get the branch off while trying to push cows up the canyon. The bull was closing the distance slowly. He was about 350 yards standing broadside trying to get the branch off again. JP was laying down with a solid rest on my pack and he said he was going to take him. His first shoot missed, but his second shot connected and the bull was sick. By now the whole herd was gathering and he was lagging behind. Two more shots rang out from JP?s 7mm rifle. He was shooting high; I asked where he was aiming. He said ?On his back!? I told him to hold right on the spot because I knew the downward angle and distance would be dead on. He put in another shell and took aim and dropped his first bull elk in his tracks!

My brother Dave, Dino and his daughter Abby watched the whole show from about 30 yards above us. The whooping and hollering began and we had elk crossing right in front of us as we gave JP hugs and high-fives with the bumps! It was one of the greatest moments of my life. JP earned this bull elk!! He has been hunting with me since a year and a half, sitting in a baby carrier on my back. JP has been walking the mountains chasing deer and elk with me since he was five years old. Many miles and hard work has definitely; without a doubt earned him to be an ELK HUNTER!! At the age of 10 years old he has seen and done more than a lot of men. I am proud to have my son by my side every hunting trip and look forward to the many memories he will provide me with!

Special thanks go to my brother Dave, Dino and Abby for their strong backs and great times; it was a heck of a pack out!! Ernest and his hunting partners for the real time information they provided to hunt in an area that had elk. Last but not least, my wife Liza for the great food she provided on our hunting trip, I know she is a very proud Mom of our little hunter! JP you did awesome!! Stay tuned?.many more to come!!!!!

JP when he first got to the bull! Proud hunter!
9089dsc05875.jpg

JP looking like he was confident...and knew he would get it done! No doubt from his Daddy!
1144dsc05882.jpg

Lionking with his Lil' Cub!
9206dsc05886.jpg

The pack out crew! Great times! Thank you!
6410dsc05891.jpg

JP packing out the two loins and rib meat! Almost to the top!
6948dsc06037.jpg

Uncle Dave and JP make it to the top! Found some nice sheds too!
3445dsc06045.jpg

JP taking a break after we topped the mountain! Resting his feet on my (overloaded) pack! Gotta love it!
3066dsc06043.jpg

Stopped to fish for a bit at Shuree ponds. The moss is thick on the edges...we had zero luck!
955dsc06087.jpg

This was the scene getting into Valle Vidal! Sorry couldn't resist to show you the good luck at the end of this rainbow!
160dsc05814.jpg

JP shot the bull from the tree line in this picture. This is the gold at the end of the rainbow! Great job JP!
31252012-10-13_18-28-46_808.jpg

Sorry for the long write up and probably too many pictures! Enjoy!

Lionking and Lil' LionCub
47d81ada2754674f.jpg

No need to apologize...that is a great story. Congrats to your boy and the proud pop!

Great story and BIG CONGRATS to your son. I don't know of any greater feeling then being with your son/daughter at times like this!!

WOW what a memory maker for you and your son!!! Congrats to the both of you!

I leave in a week with my 12yr old son on an elk hunt here in NE Oregon. Hoping for a "biggin" but mostly looking forward to spending some quality time with him...

congrats again ~

muleyman

Congratulations! I am sure everyone is still basking in the afterglow of a wonderful hunting trip. That is a bigger bull than I ever got by far.

Great story and Pictures, What a nice Bull, congrats to the hunter on a great hunt.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

This is JP's bull right before he killed him. It was pretty cool to see the branch hanging off of his antlers and him trying several times to get it off.

12332012-10-25_12-05-43_369-1.jpg

47d81ada2754674f.jpg

heck ya, thanks for bumping it, great bull, congrads

How to start an argument online:
1. Express an opinion
2. Wait

Glad for the bump as I was out in Wyoming on a long trip and missed this thread. That is one great bull for the boy and some fantastic pictures of awesome looking country. Congrats to the boy and his "crew" for the helping hands in his hunt. It doesn't get any better than that!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom