Judging muley's

rutnbuck

Long Time Member
What is your secrets for judging mulies on the hoof. I and my son have a cool tag. Don't really plan on killing one unless it has the oh wow factor. Rutnbuck

That is how to tell. If it has the WOW factor it is big enough. Numbers on a page don't mean a thing

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

the wow facter for me is when the horns are sticking 3 inches past the ears on both sides...these Mature Wyoming mulies I get have 24in Ear spreads...

If you say Wow, then it for sure is big enough and score doesn't matter. I think it is those bucks that are 24-25" wide with good mass and deep forks all around and good main beams that you say, is that a Wow factor buck? It might not be a "Wow" factor buck at first sight, but it could easily score 180+ and for most units that is a shooter. Are we talking a Henries type unit here?

When the guy sitting next to you says to U is he big enough for you and U say hell yes. Time to be pulling the trigger.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

I've learned by measuring more than 100 antlers. Measuring antlers you have on the wall, friends antlers and sheds will be great practice. I also try to estimate time length of bucks while scouting and then can confirm how close I was if I tag that deer or a friend tags it. Posting estimates of deer here on MM will provide additional practice. It takes time to get good at it.
The most important thing is that you are happy with the buck. I would rather kill a 160? buck with 24? of mass per side than a thin horned 180? buck with only 16? of mass per side.

Agree with ALL comments on the 'Wow' factor.

Mr. Jack O'Connor said it, "You can tell the big ones, .... because they Look Big".

Within the shadows, move softly.
(Long-time member; somehow I was 'lost' after have logged 10,000+ posts.)

I agree with everything that has been said already.
With that in mind if you are trying to judge one for score as a general rule you want one with big fronts. If I remember right I think I read that 60% of a Bucks score comes from the fronts on bigger bucks.

olican by big buck lets say you are referring to a 190"

190x60%= 114"

114/3= 38"

I have never heard of a deer that measures 38" on their main beams and inside spread.

big fronts are very important as the usually account for about 40% of a deer's score in just those 3 measurements out of a total of 19 measurements on a typical 4x4 buck with eyegaurds.

Tknez I think it was in one of the Eastman books I'll have to go back and see exactly how he worded it.
If you take the Buck founder shot and posted the score sheet for it scored 179 3/8 without the extra.
There?s 94? if you add main beam G-4 inside spread and H-1,2 and 4 which come of the main beam.
That's about 53% of the score so who knows I'll see if I can find the book and check it out.I could be off on the number but as a rule Bucks with crabby fronts won't score all that well.

yes if you are including the mass measurements along with the G-4's with that it sure does push that number up. Of course you now are also using right at 50% off all the measurements. I just have never broke them down that way. I guess it is just a matter of how you look at it.

It's not like I score a bunch of Deer so not sure how this would play out.
I did find it, it's in Hunting high country mule deer by Mike Eastman it says ? I realized good fronts make a Trophy Buck because 65% of his total score comes from his fronts?
65% seems a little much but he explains it giving examples of some 190? Deer and says there's exemptions if the Buck has high vertical main beams with narrow inside spread so who knows.

Don?t get too hung up on score. ?WOW? bucks come in many shapes and sizes. They don't need to be judged, that's why they are called ?wow? bucks, because when you see them there is no need adding the inches and no doubt it's a shooter. I'll take a ?WOW? buck over a well built 190?er any day. That being said, if they do make 190 they are usually in the wow zone. For example, you walk in the expo and there is giant bucks everywhere 230?s, 240?s, 250?s, whatever. There was one buck a 3x3, some small trash, heavy, beast, probably scored in the 180?s as a 3 point. Of all the bucks in the room that's the one I would have shot. He had huge ?WOW? factor. Have a good time. If you are looking for a wow factor buck, you don't need Our help with that. You?ll know it when you see it. 25+ years in this game and I have only seen a handful of wow bucks in the wild, so... you have set some lofty goals. Hope you get on one.

For me its width. I love wide bucks and think they look the best. I would shoot a 30+" buck that doesn't score, over a 22" buck that scores well. But then again, I don't measure my deer and could care less about the score. The other is mass. A buck with lots of mass is an old buck, and I think they look better.

>For me its width. I
>love wide bucks and think
>they look the best. I
>would shoot a 30+" buck
>that doesn't score, over a
>22" buck that scores well.
>But then again, I don't
>measure my deer and could
>care less about the score.
> The other is mass.
> A buck with lots
>of mass is an old
>buck, and I think they
>look better.
I'm a wide and heavy horn deer hunter also. I don't care what it scores but like the looks of wide and heavy.

rutnbuck
I had a "cool" limited entry tag in CO several years back. I passed on several bucks that I would have shot in a heart beat any other time which really made the pressure mount and almost took the fun out of the hunt. My son and I even started to get pissy at each other because we weren't finding the right buck.
Finally we decided to just have fun and know if we didn't kill it would be alright.
That relieved the pressure. We finally found a buck that we said wow to, but then we started to over think it. I almost let him walk, but finally changed my mind just before he went over the hill. Even after I shot him I wasn't sure he was that big but I was happy.
We didn't tape him until we got home. He's the only 200" deer Ive ever killed. (and wow, he was almost standing on a road when I first saw him!)
Go have fun and tell us about your adventure when you get back.
Good luck

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom