just got back from Unit 2B??????

O

OJ10

We hunted every where and didnt see any bucks??

We didnt even see a deer?? very strange!!!

Talked to the game warden and many other hunters and they were all stumped!!!

The weirdest thing I ever experienced, the first 2 days we didnt even see a bird or any other type of wildlife!!!
It was cold and raining!! but no fresh tracks whats so ever
dont get me wrong I have deer hunted my whole life (30 yrs) and I have taken some nice bucks in my life time but to experience what I saw last week in one of the best units in the state was disheartening!! I hope the other 2 rifle seasons have better luck!!

Did anyone else have the same luck???

My dad and brother in law and nephew were up there since last Thursday. I guess the mud made for real bad roads to get up near Carracas. The battery went dead in one of the campers and got pretty sick with a cold so they didn't get out much over Sat and Sun but last I heard were having trouble finding bucks worth a tag. I called my dad this morning and they weren't home yet so who knows...

what part of the unit did you hunt? Are you familiar with the unit? I'm always very curious about unit 2 success or lack thereof.

I hunted there during the muzzleloader season and saw over a 100 does and 4 legal bucks. I even got a shot a 4x4 about 20 inches wide. We camped in cedar springs and did most of our hunting south of 64.

I hunted La Jara, Laguna Seca, Ule Canyon, Cambresto canyon, National Forest and the lake shore!!!

And nothing!!!

Unit 2b has always been one of those units that arent going to produce till the snow flies. in Colorado. Unless you like small 4 points of forked horns

You're probably right caused it was snowing as we hunted in Colorado and it was raining in the unit. so the 2nd hunt should be on!!

We also hit Caracas Mesa on the last day and NADA!!!

My little boy got sick, so I just got home. I saw 15-does and 1-fork yesterday. It is way too warm. There was one camp with a 140 or so, but not much shooting. Sucks, 16-years to draw a deer tag and I am home. Coyotes better look out now!

Tough luck on that. 2B is usually pretty good already. A good friend of mine had the 2A hunt this weekend. They ended up taking a 160 class deer, but it was the ONLY deer they saw all weekend. Crazy. As others have said, they must still be up in Colorado. Did you hunt Rosa Rd at all? It's a huge area...but usually holds tons of deer.

I did we camped off Rosa rd near Laguna Seca draw, and every one we talked to said it was the wierdest thing, across from us was a big outfitter outfit and they didnt see a single deer and they were paying big money!!! It was raining all night which would make it easier for spotting tracks but to no avail.

We did count 12 dead deer carcasses so it may be a combination of predators, weather, well traffic, and hydrogen sulfide (the wells emit this deadly gas and the well workers are now wearing paging detectors if the ppm gets to high they bug out but what about the hunters sleeping and camping in the areas and the wildlife??????)

Unit 2B had a lot of snow last year. I was there during the January archery hunt and the deer were really stressed. I think this years low deer count is a result of last years bad winter. I hope it gets better for the last hunt. How has this last hunt been?

Hope it will be better for the last rifle hunt.....leaving on Wed at noon to scout prior to season. Haven't had this tag for quite some time....hope it pays off.

JBone

My buddy called me on Sunday and told me that he is seeing a few deer but not anything classified as quality!!

The NMGF Game Warden Brad didnt know where the resident deer had gone during the first hunt, he said during the youth he only checked one deer during that week!!!

We hunted 2a earlier very hard for 3 days! We only seen 3 does and one small buck that was in the park in La Plata! Didn't think the locals would appreciate me shooting it though! Haha

we just got back from unit 30 didnt see one buck.seen 7 does in 2 days.not even a rabbit. but it was fun.my 6 year old son was with me.he had the time of his life that's all that counts

Wow!! it sounds like you had the same luck!!!

I am going to help my buddy take a deer in unit 30 on the 2nd hunt!!!

I will let you know what we saw!! Will be South east of Pinon!!

Got back yesterday from the 2nd hunt in 2B, opening morning we killed a buck at 11:00 pushing 190. The second morning we had a first time deer hunter kill a decent 3x4. The deer are starting to move in from CO, 3rd hunt should be good. One tip, get off the roads and hoof it a little bit and you will find some deer.

Opening Day
1884fcb2.jpg

Second Morning
3944scb1.jpg

4241both.jpg

Hunt Hard. Shoot Straight. Kill Clean. Apologize to No One.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-02-10 AT 07:21PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Nov-02-10 AT 07:16?PM (MST)

Terynitup couldn't me more right on about getting off the roads. I saw tons of road hunters in 2b this weekend, and the biggest buck that I saw them get was a baby 3x3. I even saw a guy shoot out the window of his truck at a tiny 1x2 that you couldn't even tell was a buck until it moved his ear. Congrats Terynitup on the monster you got.

Here is the one we got this morning. All I have to say is that next time we are going to quarter him.

6735hunting_009.jpg

8400hunting_018.jpg

Congrats man! Thats a monster of a buck! Hes even bigger in person! That pic still dont do him justice! Make it happen for Saturday brotha.

Thanks man, I am thinking if the work is completed or not I am going to be tagging along. We will talk later this week and get a game plan to find another stud.

Hunt Hard. Shoot Straight. Kill Clean. Apologize to No One.

WOW!!!
WOW!!!

Good to see the deer are still there!! I guess the 1st hunt just hadnt got the migration!!

Still dont understand why the resident deer werent there?????

Look at G5Legend poppin up on here from nowhere! Where you been brotha?

Teryn...already told you once....but heck of a deer. Stinkin awesome!!!

My son had the youth hunt and it was tough. My dad arrived 4 days early and saw 2 does. The first day of the hunt I turned up 2 bucks and a doe, then zip till the 4th day and spotted a good one on the south end. My son busted him with 1 great shot.

We were top to bottom of that unit and I know it VERY WELL. Stayed at a friends ranch off the 527 and had some good access, nothing. He said they had 8' drifts in there last year but I never saw any kill. The resident deer on the N end were just not around. Im thinking all the water kept them spread and many stayed down south????

First deer.
5113new_mexico_2010_043.jpg

Wow!! that beats any deer I ve taken and I am over 40.

Great Job Son!!!! It takes a steady aim to see something like that through a scope!!!

But you're right the north end on the 1st hunt was lifeless even with birds and small mammals!!!!

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom