Just one big game caliber excluding big bear?

flyingbrass

I got plenty of rifles but now I want to be the man with one gun. I'll hunt elk, deer and might try to go on a caribou hunt but want to make this the comfort gun that I shoot all the time. It is going to be a stainless barrel with a syntheic stock. I'm a little bit recoil sensative so I'm going with only a 300 win mag or 300 wsm. I already got a wood stocked 300 wsm Rem model 7 and it is great but really too light and I ain't crazy about the way that it feeds. I got other model 7 Remingtons that feed great but I think it is something to do with either the caliber or the caliber/gun combination. What do you recommend 300 WM or WSM?

Thanks
Flyingbrass
cold dead hands

I like the 300 wsm, but have you thought about a 7mm mag, i love mine i have shot elk, and deer with it. I always wanted a 300 but havnt got around the time or the money to find one yet. I want to try and get me a pre 64 win 70 300 mag, i guess its gonna be a hard time trying to find one.

I have a Kimber 8400, in 300 wsm. This gun is blue steel. It is light, but the recoil does not seem that bad to me. When I first got it I thought the recoil would be uncomfortable. I think it kicks less than the Ruger 7 mag I gave to my nephew. The Decelorator pad works well in my opinion. I also really enjoy the mauser type claw extractor on this gun. I have not experienced any feeding issues to date.
After having owned this gun for 2 years, I found a small crack in the stock, just under the bolt. Kimber had me send the gun to them, and they replaced the stock, no questions asked.
I like it so much, I just purchased a 270 wsm in the Montana version (stainless/synthetic) I have yet to fire it, hoping to make time to get it broke in soon.

How about a 30-06? A local guy I know has taken about all of the North American game, including polar bear, with his 30-06.
Less recoil than a mag and consider the ranges at which you would actually shoot your critters. With the magnum, you are only getting slightly more than 100 yards of effective energy and velocity.

If you want a mag, I'd run with the 300 Winny for the better feeding and usully one more round in the magazine.

I'd lean to having a semi-custom built rather than buy factory.

Doug~RR

.300 WM gets the nod from me. Just about every rifle in existence is available in that caliber....

:( Somebody didn't like bouncing betty :(

7mm REM mag. Flat shooting, plenty o' power for anything on this continent. Enough said. Make mine a Sako, Tikka, or Kimber.

I'd have to vote for the Win. Mag.
It's a truely all around caliber, and
would probably handle heavier bullets better.

I love mine, and wouldn't take for it, so maybe
I'm a little partial.

Bet either one would serve you well if it was
put up in the right rifle.

fyi
lrv

If you are choosing from just the 2 options, I would go with the 300 win mag. You can load it light or hot, depending on what you are hunting, and there are many weight bullet options in the 30 caliber to choose from. The 300 is popular in almost every make of rifle, and feeds smoother than the WSM. I have an old pre-64 model 70 in that caliber, and it does great for me, as well as very comfortable to shoot for a magnum.

If you are going .300 mag, include the big bears.
It will do everything in North America.
I do the Weatherby flavor.
HH

Kinda like to get something semi custom but with a Remington style safety since don't like the 3 positions.

cold dead hands

LAST EDITED ON May-24-07 AT 08:16PM (MST)[p] I have the Remington Model Seven in the .300 short action ultra mag (saum). It isn't as popular as the wsm's but it's very accurate rifle. This was a gift from my wife and it will be used a lot.

I have a browning A-Bolt,SS,synthetic in the 300 WSM. It kicked pretty good when I first got it,but I put a sims pad on it and had it ported.Boy what a difference. All I can say now is I love it.

NECALI thinks like I do. I have the same outfit, but without the extras. I have owned alot of rifles, but this one is the most pleasant hunting rig I have ever carried. If kick is an issue for you, add the muzzle brake and pad and you will love it. The 300 WSM is good for anything in North America and mine loves the 168g. Barnes triple shocks.

Rem stainless 300 ultra with a muzzle brake kicks less than my pre 64 270. Might as well have a little extra power when you come face to face with that Griz on your Caribou hunt. If your stuck on one of those two I would get the WSM if I was wanting a super light rifle and the 300 Win otherwise.

Thats a point I was going to bring up as well. If you got a 300RUM and put a break on it that would not be a bad choice. My 300RUM does not have a break and it kicks less than my 300win. Just a thought.

338 Win Mag.

Find yourself an old style sako,it is a heavy gun so it does not kick very much.

Load 225 gr trophy bonded bear claws.

If i could have one gun this is what i would choose.

Go with either a 300WBY or an ultra mag and install a muzzle brake if you are recoil sensative. Those two calibers will do anything in north america and most of africa that you'll ever ask them to do...and then some.

Brakes work great but you will hurt your ears.

Get a new Sako in WSM. Feed great, shoot awesome and hold five rounds. The laminate stock version doesnt kick as hard as my 300 win did.

Definately want a sims pad too.....

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom